Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Welcome back from your two and a half year holiday on the moon ... many people do deny the outcome (see this thread). As you have such an interest in finding out which leave option would get the most support would you support a new democratic vote that only included leave options?

Overlooking your predisposition for pointless sniping, I am asking you what you think Leavers believed they were voting for. Is it something that is currently on offer? Would Leavers agree on anything providing we leave? Would some think that the options are so far removed from their original choice they would rather stay? In my opinion, Bringer of Truth, no one can possibly know without asking. I don't relish the idea of another referendum, the first one was poisonous enough for me. But no one knows what the majority think anymore so we need to find out - including asking people if they would like to stop the whole thing from happening at all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You asked a question that was irrelevant to the question about a second referendum, imo of course.

Again, personally, I have nothing against the Irish, be they Northern or from Eire. Then again neither have I anything against the French. So their border question is not the most pressing thing about Brexit.

Have you a link regarding the importance of the Irish border question that backs up your claim, not doubting you but on my phone ATM and the search isn't all that great or maybe I'm asking the question in the wrong way?

The Good Friday Agreement is an International Treaty signed and approved by the United Nations. It cannot be ignored, whether you find it a priority or not. Britain signed it, and will have to find a solution for it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's a pretty stupid statement. Why don't you go to Russia and suggest the Crimea should be part of Ukraine. Or go to Tiawan and say it should be part of China. Or the Falklands and say it should be part of Argentina.

And I have no desire to go to NI - especially given it contains backward stoneage political parties such as the DUP.

That says it all.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That's a pretty stupid statement. Why don't you go to Russia and suggest the Crimea should be part of Ukraine. Or go to Tiawan and say it should be part of China. Or the Falklands and say it should be part of Argentina.

And I have no desire to go to NI - especially given it contains backward stoneage political parties such as the DUP.

Her Majesty's Government does not recognise either the illegal occupation of Crimea by The Russian Federation or Taiwan as a state and The Falkland Islands is an British Overseas Territory, so your counter argument has failed in a quite epic manner.

My original point however was that, just like The Falkland Islanders you now mention and the unionist community of Northern Ireland that I was alluding to, you and I are British and those that advocate the break up of their own country should remember the people they're wanting to sell down the river and betray - their own.

Having lived in Taiwan for nearly three years I can tell you it depends entirely on whether the person you spoke to was KMT or DPP.

The KMT were the ones who hot footed it over there from the mainland when the Communists won the civil war and want eventually to reunite with the mainland. The more liberal DPP has a strong Taiwanese national identity. It splits the island down the middle - a bit like Brexit.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Nah, ignoring democratic results when they don't go your way and insisting people vote again puts you in a very select grouping ... enjoy the company my little loon.

Ah, a very small group of people, you suggest. According to this week's Yougov research more than fifty percent of voters support a confirmatory vote. That's over 23 million people. A discerning group perhaps, although hardly small.

The concept of someone with a minority view claiming that those in the majority are undemocratic is an interesting one, but perhaps you subscribe to the John Redwood school of statistical analysis - you know, the one that leads to the claim this week that most voters support No Deal.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Massive scoop from [MENTION=15917]lewis[/MENTION]_goodall
Civil Service told to “wind down” no Deal planning in next few weeks as UK “cannot” now leave with no Deal until 31st October.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ah, a very small group of people, you suggest. According to this week's Yougov research more than fifty percent of voters support a confirmatory vote. That's over 23 million people. A discerning group perhaps, although hardly small.

The concept of someone with a minority view claiming that those in the majority are undemocratic is an interesting one, but perhaps you subscribe to the John Redwood school of statistical analysis - you know, the one that leads to the claim this week that most voters support No Deal.

I once attended a conference at which John Redwood was obnoxious. I wasn't surprise when he popped up on the Brexiteer side; indeed I was rather pleased. Sorry, a bit off-topic.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Interesting answer: do you write Suomi instead of Finland or Polska instead of Poland - they're quicker too. And if speed is the concern, why not write the more usual ROI instead of Eire (sic)?

I think a few people are being unreasonable and tetchy towards the most civilised of Brexit supporters.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I once attended a conference at which John Redwood was obnoxious. I wasn't surprise when he popped up on the Brexiteer side; indeed I was rather pleased. Sorry, a bit off-topic.

I really thought it was Matthew Parris who first christened the old Welsh mimer "The Vulcan" on account of his similarity to Dr Spock. It wasn't. It was his ex-wife. As she was quoted in The Telegraph... ""The torment to which he subjected me shows the utterly inhuman nature of this man's personality. He is a Vulcan, not a human being. No one who behaves like this to his wife and family deserves to have the privilege and honour of representing a constituency at Westminster."

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It was quicker than writing Southern Ireland. Are you trying to look for an argument, there really is no need? I have no wish to patronise anybody. I often find it annoying when people do what I did when taking about Munich or Milan funnily enough. I still call Burma Burma though.

FWIW I think Eire is a perfectly acceptable term and in quite common use, a lot of my Irish relatives use it and it’s used frequently in media.
We certainly don’t see eye to eye on the overall idea of Brexit but of all the petty things to be picked up on, that’s got to be up there.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Nah, ignoring democratic results when they don't go your way and insisting people vote again puts you in a very select grouping ... enjoy the company my little loon.

Keep spinning. The reason Brexiteers dont want the 'people' to have a 2nd (advisory) referendum is fear losing it. I know that, and more importantly, you know that.
As the leave campaign gave many promises, that have since been discredited, now even by some Brexiteers,its a wonder to me, why 'patriots' dont want to 'people' to vote on a more truthful base. We know though, there is only one reason though isnt there.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Massive scoop from [MENTION=15917]lewis[/MENTION]_goodall
Civil Service told to “wind down” no Deal planning in next few weeks as UK “cannot” now leave with no Deal until 31st October.

Operation Yellowhammer would have collapsed within a few days of *no deal* anyway.

To be honest if they want to now leave with *no deal* on October 31st, they should actually be ramping up the preparation now, not winding it down.

Work to remove Operation Brock starts tonight.

[tweet]1116394174016819200[/tweet]

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/operation-brock-will-be-lifted-highway-bosses-confirm-202573/

Hopefully never to be seen again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It may have been a silly question but your answer was even dafter my little runaway.

One of the things I admire most about this thread is the almost infinite patience of people when dealing with posters who still swear blind they will soon be riding off into the sunset on the back of a unicorn. There are only so many ways of mocking the disingenuous, but hats off to you for continued forebearance. As far as I am concerned, I'm content to snigger about the thwarted Brexit. Unicornoclasticism is quite funny. Its proponents, however, just bore me.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
FWIW I think Eire is a perfectly acceptable term and in quite common use, a lot of my Irish relatives use it and it’s used frequently in media.
We certainly don’t see eye to eye on the overall idea of Brexit but of all the petty things to be picked up on, that’s got to be up there.

Fair enough. As I said I was just curious as to it's use as it's become commonly used on the Brexit side in the last couple of years (amongst a whole lot of condescending words toward Ireland in general and not exclusively on this thread) and it was used and taken by some in the past in a derogatory sense - I was once told by someone Irish that an extradition case years back was rejected because someone took umbrage at it's usage by the requesting British authorities on the relevant paperwork for example and ex-service personnel from Northern Ireland would commonly use it years back too as they wouldn't refer to people from the south in the same tense.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Keep spinning. The reason Brexiteers dont want the 'people' to have a 2nd (advisory) referendum is fear losing it. I know that, and more importantly, you know that.
As the leave campaign gave many promises, that have since been discredited, now even by some Brexiteers,its a wonder to me, why 'patriots' dont want to 'people' to vote on a more truthful base. We know though, there is only one reason though isnt there.

The dear old Prancing Ninny. Has he stooped to fatuous pedantry yet? It wouldn't be the first time. Has he said he never claimed we would be better off after Brexit? Has he said any price is worth paying to take back control of our destiny? Has he said he never said any of these things actually? You will find it a very unsatisfying exercise engaging with someone who just prances back and forth like a ninny when shown to be talking out of his arse. It amuses me, nevertheless, to see so many of you taking the piss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here