Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mike Ashley Blows £150 Mil On Failed Debenhams Takeover

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Fair enough - I figured he had invested in the company before (to make money, rather than either for fun or purely to take control of it), and looked at the recent move as one to take control of it, but I can see how you'd call the whole event as an attempt to take it over.

It's no coincidence that Sports Direct owned 29.7% of Debenhams. Once a single shareholder (or a concert party of related shareholders) owns 30% or more of any UK public company, they are required to launch a formal takeover bid under the Takeover Code.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He vomited into a lit fireplace.

Legend.

Indeed. Below, part of a BBC court report from a case involving Mr Ashley in 2017:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finance expert Jeffrey Blue said Mr Ashley "was like no other client." Mr Blue said he had attended several senior management meetings at another pub, the Green Dragon in Alfreton, Derbyshire.

He said: "These meetings were like no other senior management meeting I had ever attended in all my years of investment banking experience."

Describing it as a "pub lock-in" where fish and chips and kebabs would be brought in after closing time, he said: "On one such evening, in front of his senior management team, Mr Ashley challenged a young Polish analyst in my team, Pawel Pawlowski, to a drinking competition.

"Mr Ashley and Pawel would drink pints of lager, with vodka 'chasers' between each pint, and the first to leave the bar area for whatever reason was declared the loser.

"After approximately 12 pints and chasers Pawel apologised profusely and had to excuse himself.

"Mr Ashley then vomited into the fireplace located in the centre of the bar, to huge applause from his senior management team."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who hasn't done that at a business meeting? :shrug:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I really don't understand what people have against him.

I'm sure virtually any Toon fan up here would happily provide chapter and verse in response to that, and that would work only cover his role at NUFC.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm sure virtually any Toon fan up here would happily provide chapter and verse in response to that, and that would work only cover his role at NUFC.

Most football fans have unrealistic expectations of owners though.

Must admit, having worked for a company in administration it is a terribly shitty process. I lost £4000 in pay, while the administrator made sure they got paid their £350k up front. His comments here make sense to me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47864580

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I feel very sorry for all the staff who are going to be made redundant, and any suppliers left unpaid.

Rather than taking sides on the existing Board versus Ashley dispute.

Real lives are going to be adversely affected, not the fault of a potential bidder.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Indeed. Below, part of a BBC court report from a case involving Mr Ashley in 2017:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finance expert Jeffrey Blue said Mr Ashley "was like no other client." Mr Blue said he had attended several senior management meetings at another pub, the Green Dragon in Alfreton, Derbyshire.

He said: "These meetings were like no other senior management meeting I had ever attended in all my years of investment banking experience."

Describing it as a "pub lock-in" where fish and chips and kebabs would be brought in after closing time, he said: "On one such evening, in front of his senior management team, Mr Ashley challenged a young Polish analyst in my team, Pawel Pawlowski, to a drinking competition.

"Mr Ashley and Pawel would drink pints of lager, with vodka 'chasers' between each pint, and the first to leave the bar area for whatever reason was declared the loser.

"After approximately 12 pints and chasers Pawel apologised profusely and had to excuse himself.

"Mr Ashley then vomited into the fireplace located in the centre of the bar, to huge applause from his senior management team."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who hasn't done that at a business meeting? :shrug:

Shame on me. Yes. Was in the pub trade at the time and my boss had just had a baby (his wife, not him personally).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Welcome to Great Britain opportunity and prosperity for all!

I feel very sorry for all the staff who are going to be made redundant, and any suppliers left unpaid.

Rather than taking sides on the existing Board versus Ashley dispute.

Real lives are going to be adversely affected, not the fault of a potential bidder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here