Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] CH “we weren’t good enough”

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That would be 8 points from 27 then... still pretty crap huh?

Or 8 points from 9 games - very nearly a point a game. Which is roughly what is needed to avoid relegation in most PL seasons.

It is disappointing that we haven't got more from these games, of course. It was very disappointing to lose yesterday - three points might not have quite got us over the line, but we'd be able to reach out and touch it. And yes, it's been a disappointing season too - I expected/hoped for the team to be slightly better this year than last -and sadly it isn't; our new buys may have improved the depth of the squad, but improve the team? No, they haven't.
FWIW I still think we'll stay up, but we're making a poor fist of it at the moment. Sheets aren't even slightly damp, but squeaky bum time is lurking very nearby.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I admire your optimism and hope that your considered view turns out for the best. Cannot express how pissed off I am with the way we approached yesterday’s game.

:thumbsup:
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in a good place after yesterday, and a few before. But trying to view this in context, it’s what happens through a season when your team is at best a bottom half of the table team, there are lots ups and downs. I’m nervous but expected to be!

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I think we will be relegated after the teams performance yesterday.
To be honest, based on that, it’s fine.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
We ARE equipped for this division, but are making such fvcking hard work of it by mincing around like its a pre-season friendly until we find ourselves a goal down, whereupon we suddenly find an extra 20% in our running, closing, movement and all-round urgency. We've clawed our way back sometimes with this trait, but shit the bed, why don't we go out and cuffing START like it.

We are infuriating.

You’ve summed up the point perfectly that I was trying to make when starting this thread. CH has the power to change the mentality and approach to the team and that is what I want to see on Wednesday. We showed in the last 20 mins yesterday that we can play with more intensity and tempo which was the only time we put their goal under pressure, and as you say, why do we wait to go behind before we bloody see this. In my opinion, CH set our stall out to not lose that game yesterday and it backfired badly. I am sharing your frustration !

If we’ve got any hope of getting a result on Wednesday then we need to be in Chelsea’s face from the first minute, pressing and closing them down quickly, then when we get possession then Chelsea are most vulnerable to a quick counter attack. For this reason we need Andone (if fit) and Kayal in the starting line up on Wednesday.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I can see what you mean....and maybe have Propper as the one supporting Murray....but despite all Pascals lack of speed he does create and work well with Murray

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I never considered De Bruyne as pacy but noticeable that he is all over the pitch, one minute defending the next setting up attacks. He seems to be able to cover a lot of ground. Our ability to do the same seems limited. Is fitness a factor or is it that our players just can't be ar5ed to cover ground?

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You forgot WHU away ;-) and a few others!

It’s not bollocks because we are where we are due to taking TWO (2) points in 7 games against the four teams below us. That is crap, not bollocks. You can say odd games went against us - small margins Blah de blah - but

these are games where we should have been on front foot, stamped our authority as a PL side here to stay, and stayed on front foot.

Instead of which every one has been a groan fest of having to come back from the dead (Fulham H, Saints A); apathetic submission to a team that is inferior (Burnley H & A, Saints H); or committing harikari when points there for taking (Fulham and Cardiff A). You can blame players for some of this, but it is also down to management.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think people forget that the opposition generally change their approach to the game when they go ahead. Southampton were happy to sit back and defend narrow and deep and hit us on the counter. This gave us more space and time to play in which then made us look a better side than we were before they scored

Maybe... but they weren't exactly pushing us that hard before they scored. We played with a lot more energy post their goal.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Give most of them a chance again against Chelsea as they're meant to be our first team. If shite again then can certainly be dropped for the Semi

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
So CH claims we weren’t good enough today. That was clearly plain for all to see. So let’s see what he does about it against Chelsea on Wednesday. If he plays the same starting line up then he deserves all the flack that is likely to follow. I fear his tactical limitations are becoming painfully more apparent during this challenging period.
CH has already stated in the press that if the players aren't up for it on Wednesday (Chelsea) then they'll get beat. Simples.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
CH has already stated in the press that if the players aren't up for it on Wednesday (Chelsea) then they'll get beat. Simples.

Stunning insight!

He also says it took a goal against to lift the team. I thought that was the job of the Manager?

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Stunning insight!

He also says it took a goal against to lift the team. I thought that was the job of the Manager?
Yeah, and putting out a performance is the job of the players. So what's your point apart from being sarcastic?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
he also suggested in one interview that if players didn't perform on Wednesday they wouldn't necessarily get picked on Sunday

that'll be an unchanged strting line up then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here