Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Jenkinson's, 1980s bar

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone know where Jenkinson's bar/club/venue was? On the seafront somewhere - was it where Patterns (which used to be The Escape) was?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Just found out it was Coasters before it was Coasters.

As you were.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Saw Peter Gabriel in Jenkinsons bar and he says to the Audience " Does anybody know who Steve Biko was ?"
A voice from the back pipes up "He's a dead W#g "

Cue a mass bar room brawl

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Saw New Order there in 1981.

I missed that, but saw many bands at Jenkinsons as there didn't seem to be a strick door policy for under 18s.
I would like to see a list of bands that did play there as I can't remember exactly who I saw.
Definitely remember seeing Dead Kennedys, Tenpole Tudor and Simple Minds.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Saw Big Audio Dynamite in Coasters circ 1986..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Saw New Order there in 1981.

Comsat angets, U2, Spizz, Ten Pole Tudor, Echo and the Bunnymen.....that was all at Jenkinsons' right? I always recall it as the Top Rank, but strictly speaking that was round the back and underneath (Clash, Stranglers, and the venue for the pootly attended 'rock disco' in the mid 70s2) right?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
We (KingTafariLove) played there a few times supporting bands. Gladiators probably the most well known, and quite a few two tone bands of the time.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We (KingTafariLove) played there a few times supporting bands. Gladiators probably the most well known, and quite a few two tone bands of the time.

I believe Aswad played there before they had their chart success.
Some of the 2Tone bands played the Top Rank, I couldn't get in as a 15 year old, very strick on the door.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I believe Aswad played there before they had their chart success.
Some of the 2Tone bands played the Top Rank, I couldn't get in as a 15 year old, very strick on the door.

I know we supported Aswad more than once at the Top Rank, along with most of the Reggae bands of the era..as well asThe.Beat, Selector, Specials type bands, but dont have a recollection of Aswad at Jenkinsons. Top Rank told us never to bring our sound system again, as when the bass dropped the lighting started rattling and the plastic part of the balcony started to hum :lolol: Jenkinsons was more intimate tbf

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anyone know where Jenkinson's bar/club/venue was? On the seafront somewhere - was it where Patterns (which used to be The Escape) was?

It’s currently the Odean tickets/snacks/coffee shop hall, in the Kingswest building, at ground level.

I was too young for Jenkinsons, but had so many brilliant nights at its replacement Coasters from 1983 onwards. Visiting several nights a week, the DJ Rory passed on amazing, obscure dance tracks from North America and mainland Europe. I’m still playing them now. We also saw Bananarma’s short gig there. Best days of my life.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thought Jenkinsons was over 23 ?

Coasters, many great nights with dear Rory

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Jenkinsons on Sunday night was brill early 80s , saw Killing Joke , Dead Kennedys , TOH , Bunnymen , New Order , Ruts DC , Tenpole Tudor and plenty of forgettable acts also .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here