Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Any other 1983 'plastics' out there?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Was above the players tunnel in the 1983 cup final sitting on the concrete lip above the tunnel with my Union Jack flag.
Cameras were right in front of us and I’m sure Dickie Davies was in there at some point.
Can just see me in the photo below, (with the the flag), so must mean I’m guaranteed a ticket for the semi, No ???

1A2ABB67-E847-46EA-BCD7-982EBB687F67.jpeg

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Unfair! I've decided my Scottish team is Ross County for far more tenuous reasons than that. We stayed on a campsite next to their ground a couple of years ago, and got caught up in the crowd..... both of them..... afterwards.

Irn Bru Cup Connahs Quay v Ross County 4pm on S4C ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My plasticity, if you can call it that, was created by circumstances, personal, and the 'fortuitous' move to Priestfield. I had been 'a handful of games a season' man since 1969. I stood in silence, largely, applauding the goals. Even the Fans United game I viewed from a distance (the South Stand seats) and in sorrow more than anger. But after the move to up the road, without any plan or intention I found myself attending every home game, and then a great many away.....and the rest is history.

When I was a kid, everyone 'supported' a First Division team. Everyone. Nobody was first and foremost Albion. Nobody. We went to games, but we all knew we were tin pot. Even my old school mate, Neil, the Butcher of Coldean, of threads passim (The 'Wilkins incident' versus Orient) was a Leeds supporter. That's how we became pals :lolol:

People need to get over themselves. Views, passions, even loves change....s'life, innit.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Sort of, my first Albion game was away to Ipswich in January 1983 so I was lucky really that it coincided with the cup run season, so I'm not sure where I stand then, I don't think I was a plastic in 83 more of a JCL I suppose.

Did we lose that one 0 - 2 ?

Harsh and unnecessary.
You and others have completely misjudged the tone of my query. I can see why you thought 'have you actually been to a BHA match' was asked in a sarcastic/condescending/critical way, but this is far from the truth. The OP was visiting from Canada where he still is. He didn't say he attended the final or replay on his trip, so if he ever did go to see a match it must have been on subsequent trips. (I know North Americans have very short holidays and maybe late May would be the only viable time for such a visit?). I thought that he called himself plastic (and fair play for doing so!) possibly because he'd never seen us, and as he wasn't enquiring about getting a ticket either, it didn't cross my mind that people might think that anybody's reply to this thread could be critical.

He seems to think he's some super fan.
I haven't been that since 1977-78. In fact, I'm very much the armchair fan that I used to mock :down:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
My plasticity, if you can call it that, was created by circumstances, personal, and the 'fortuitous' move to Priestfield. I had been 'a handful of games a season' man since 1969. I stood in silence, largely, applauding the goals. Even the Fans United game I viewed from a distance (the South Stand seats) and in sorrow more than anger. But after the move to up the road, without any plan or intention I found myself attending every home game, and then a great many away.....and the rest is history.

When I was a kid, everyone 'supported' a First Division team. Everyone. Nobody was first and foremost Albion. Nobody. We went to games, but we all knew we were tin pot. Even my old school mate, Neil, the Butcher of Coldean, of threads passim (The 'Wilkins incident' versus Orient) was a Leeds supporter. That's how we became pals :lolol:

People need to get over themselves. Views, passions, even loves change....s'life, innit.

Funny isn't it? I was almost forced to support Brighton because a parental split took me to Liverpool aged 7 and following the Albion was a tangible link to "home".

I was regular at the Goldstone with my (spurs supporting dad) in school holidays etc. but was also a regular at Anfield with my stepdad who tried to lure me into being a Red.

Whilst there really was no comparison between watching Liverpool from the Kop beating Europe's best and watching Brighton from the chicken run drawing with Bristol Rivers I could never have forsaken BHA...odd. I always was a romantic fool.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You and others have completely misjudged the tone of my query. I can see why you thought 'have you actually been to a BHA match' was asked in a sarcastic/condescending/critical way, but this is far from the truth. The OP was visiting from Canada where he still is. He didn't say he attended the final or replay on his trip, so if he ever did go to see a match it must have been on subsequent trips. (I know North Americans have very short holidays and maybe late May would be the only viable time for such a visit?). I thought that he called himself plastic (and fair play for doing so!) possibly because he'd never seen us, and as he wasn't enquiring about getting a ticket either, it didn't cross my mind that people might think that anybody's reply to this thread could be critical.

I haven't been that since 1977-78. In fact, I'm very much the armchair fan that I used to mock :down:
No, sorry. Your comment was that of a dick and your explanation makes zero sense. I'd leave it there if I were you as you're just digging mate.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Skipped college to queue for tickets and then got photographed by the Argus and ended up on the front page. Couldn’t explain that one away the following day!. That was a great year to be a Brighton fan (part from getting relegated).

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Got my first season ticket as it was the only way for me to get a cup final ticket, plus I was about to move closer anyway.

Got me a replay ticket as well because of it, but I did lose my job because I took the day off to get it. Boss was a Geordie, I thought he would understand. He didn't. Hated the job anyway, and would have walked sooner rather than later.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I was already a supporters for 13 years and was there to join in with everyone else putting their head in their hands re the Smith incident, then witnessed the 4 - 0 drubbing replay. :cry:

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
I was already a supporters for 13 years and was there to join in with everyone else putting their head in their hands re the Smith incident, then witnessed the 4 - 0 drubbing replay. :cry:

I had been a supporter for 8 years when we got to the final. I just couldn't believe Smith didn't score, the journey back on the train to Brighton was so subdued, everyone knew we had missed our chance to be FA Cup holders. I also went to the Replay but I think we all knew we wouldn't win. :cry:

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada

Actually everyone missed my intention - I meant "1983 'plastic'" very tongue in cheek. As in did you start as a 'plastic' fan in 1983 and stick around for the next 35 years.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Got my first season ticket as it was the only way for me to get a cup final ticket, plus I was about to move closer anyway.

Got me a replay ticket as well because of it, but I did lose my job because I took the day off to get it. Boss was a Geordie, I thought he would understand. He didn't. Hated the job anyway, and would have walked sooner rather than later.
I called in sick to bunk off for the replay. Everyone knew I was a mad Albion fan. Hated that job and soon moved on anyway. Is it ironic that the job was at....Amex? Probably not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here