Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Amber Rudd used the word “coloured”

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What a fuss about nothing, used the 'wrong' word and quickly apologised. As for Dianne Abbot how can she bleat about what was said after her 'whites like to divide and rule' comment?
She's an embarrassment, she's shadow Home Sec purely because of Labours commitment to diversity and quota's. Watching her getting skewered on Sky news by Dermot Murnaghan in June 2017 sums it all up. A low calibre woman hopelessly out of her depth.

She's a train wreck.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He is a person of colour.

Edit

After tomorrow’s inevitable thumping he will also be a person of interest to the Houghton out mob.

He's black too. I get confused a bit. But, I do understand why it's a wholesome practise to use the correct terms. They are not there to pigeon hole but to reduce prejudicial reference.

I worry that some of the unforgiving bile is politically loaded though. Context and intent are always the key. But that doesn't sell agendas.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
She's a train wreck.

She's a lot tougher, capable, decisive than she gets credit for. Yeah, she got some figures wrong once in an interview, who else attracts such vilification, and you don't have to look far around the House of Commons to find a clutch of suspects more deserving either.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Chris is mixed race so he can choose who he identifies with. He chooses his father's side.

Does that then open up the sexist debate? :lolol:

Seriously though, the world has changed for the better with regards racism and sexism, for certain - but.. these days we seem to be taking a theatrical swan dive at the steering wheel when all we need to do is a simple turn.

I'm going to politely respect everyone's opinion on here and bow out of this thread. It's Friday night. Have a good weekend everyone!

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
It’s not for you(I assume you’re white coloured) or me to decide what black people can or can’t find offensive. I can remember when the words ‘****** and paki’ were used quite freely in society, as well as words like spade, sooty, wog and coon. Fortunately, these appear to have been consigned to the dustbin of history by the more intelligent amongst us.

I think the use of the word nigga in (mainly) America, is the same as homosexual people reclaiming the word queer, so that it is not seen so much as an insult, along the same lines of us singing “ You’re too ugly to be gay” when opposition fans come out with the tired old homophobic songs about our club.

How can the word Paki been seen as an insult, its just the short form of Pakistani, which is rather a mouthful so the local shop became known as the Paki Chip shop etc

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
How can the word Paki been seen as an insult, its just the short form of Pakistani, which is rather a mouthful so the local shop became known as the Paki Chip shop etc

Does this really have to be explained again?
The term ‘Paki’ was used by some as a collective name for anyone from the sub-continent. Pakistani, Indian, Bangladeshi, and Siri Lankans were all lumped in together, it made it easier for racist ********s to go round painting ‘Pakis Out’ on walls , while smashing Asian peoples windows. The fact that this word was the word of choice to describe Asians bythe racist knuckle draggers, has, over the preceding years led to it becoming a racist insult.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
My wife finds it strange that our Chris is described as a black manager as he is not actually black. Is she right?

I always think that someone is going to suggest that Chris and the former US president is black is not trying to insult them, i discussed this a few years ago and was told that Obama was able to be described as black so pick up black votes,I do not describe Chris as black but am unaware of how he feels on this point

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What actually is the difference between ‘woman of colour’ and ‘coloured woman’?

The precise and exact answer is fxxk all apart from spelling, and the likelihood of some up-their-own-arse-holier-than-thou-liberal-**** attempting to pull someone up for choosing the latter.

Awaits comment from TAT.

This was answered earlier in the thread. Possibly twice.

It is no surprise people are bemused and confused when they don't bother doing any research. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Does this really have to be explained again?
The term ‘Paki’ was used by some as a collective name for anyone from the sub-continent. Pakistani, Indian, Bangladeshi, and Siri Lankans were all lumped in together, it made it easier for racist ********s to go round painting ‘Pakis Out’ on walls , while smashing Asian peoples windows. The fact that this word was the word of choice to describe Asians bythe racist knuckle draggers, has, over the preceding years led to it becoming a racist insult.

Exactly. Ditto 'Mong'.

Sometimes I find it hard to discriminate between the genuinely ignorant, the willfully stupid, and the disingenuously provocative :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here