Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ashley Barnes

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Lineker, Shearer and Jenas called it right ... focusing solely on the shocking refereeing decision.

But the REACTION from Barnes is OK in your eyes? He should have been sent off for that REACTION. The ref does not know his decision is wrong at the time. If I’m that lino I’d be quite unimpressed with my referee.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Shocking behaviour, but there again known for his thuggery side. Irrelevant of a very poor decision he should have seen red for that reaction. If haha can be sent off for sarcastic clapping the torrent of abuse like that should receive a ban.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He should get sent off most weeks. He’s probably the dirtiest player in the Premier League. I know he did well in an Albion shirt but he is an absolute ****.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I liked it when he did that for us. I miss him in an Albion shirt. With all the comments re Gross not being physical enough - Barnes would have been the answer, with goals to boot.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But the REACTION from Barnes is OK in your eyes? He should have been sent off for that REACTION. The ref does not know his decision is wrong at the time. If I’m that lino I’d be quite unimpressed with my referee.
But at least he wasn't stupid enough to sarcastically clap the referee.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

If the officials had called it correctly in the first place there would have been no need for Barnes' anger. Totally an officiating faux pas. I'd have been that pissed off too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Shocking decision AND a shocking reaction. Really should have been sent off, however much you can understand his fury.

A one match ban is in order - but only because they play us next!

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Shocking decision AND a shocking reaction. Really should have been sent off, however much you can understand his fury.

Think this sums it up perfectly.

As poor as the decision was, it doesn’t warrant the reaction that Barnes showed.

He is a professional and sadly shocking decisions are part of the game (more now than ever) he should be able to control himself far better than he did yesterday although we are talking about a player who tripped a ref so I’m not surprised.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
The game is finished as a sport if Barnes is allowed to literally scream c words in the face of officials like that, with no sanction of any kind, whilst a black bloke gets sent off for a mild bit of sarcastic applause. It is completely indefensible regardless of how bad the referee's mistake was. Racism is alive and flourishing in football and this is 100% directly racist.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He should get sent off most weeks. He’s probably the dirtiest player in the Premier League. I know he did well in an Albion shirt but he is an absolute ****.

First point, wrong.
Second point, wrong.
Third point - you may have been a big fan of his, but he was marmite
Third point, wrong.

You opions aside, this was yet another case illustrating the needs for VAR. It is so English to identify a problem, find a possible solution, then wait for ages before executing it. Ten* years ago it became clear that lots of people were a bit fed up with people streaming into the UK from outside the EU. Solition? Tighten up the borders. Action? Absolutely nothing. Oh, leave the EU. FFS. Anyway.......VAR, bring it on.

Also, and the one thing implied from your post I do agree with is that Barnes' language was intolerable. In the replay they pixellated his face as if it were pre watershed and he'd started waving his todger about. But he could clearly be seen screaming 'see you next Tuesday' at the lino. If I were the lino I would have instructed the ref to give a red. Nobody calls me a **** in my place of work.

*The Brexit analogy is fast becoming the new 'this is like nazi germany' analogy that has its own special name and website. Apologies - I just couldn't help myself. Let's not have a witch hunt OK? That would be like Na....

Taxi!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If the officials had called it correctly in the first place there would have been no need for Barnes' anger. Totally an officiating faux pas. I'd have been that pissed off too.

Yes but.....that's the old 'if you hadn't spilled my pint I wouldn't have headbutted you' argument. :shrug:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
How has he not been sent off there? Poor decision or not on the penalty how does ref and linesman allow/accept that reaction? Should have been off.

I would tend to agree. I was there for Zaha's sending off against Saints, where I think his dismissal was totally justified.

But maybe his reaction was more "considered" and deliberate, whereas Barnes's was more a heat of the moment and perhaps easier to be more lenient about...….. Then again, maybe that would be a stronger reason for a dismissal.

Two refs, two different scenarios, two different outcomes. Who knows?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
The game is finished as a sport if Barnes is allowed to literally scream f words in the face of officials like that, with no sanction of any kind, whilst a black bloke gets sent off for a mild bit of sarcastic applause. It is completely indefensible regardless of how bad the referee's mistake was. Racism is alive and flourishing in football and this is 100% directly racist.
didn' haha get a yellow card for the clapping but was already one 1 yellow, making 2 so was sent off?

V

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My take is that this demonstrates what is wrong with the game and I put the blame for that right at the door of the referees and the PGOL. It was of course a poor decision by the ref but they do of course make mistakes. The ref and the lino have then compounded that by not sending off Barnes for his behaviour as that sends a mixed message to footballers about what is and what isn't allowed. If referees exercised the powers they have they could make a significant difference to player behaviour but they don't. The PGOL then pretty much always stand behind a wall of silence.

We all too frequently get football compared to Rugby when it comes to players behaviour and it is cited that rugby players respect officials but I put that down to the powers the referees can take, eg sin bins, moving penalties forward at the first sign of dissent etc.

I would like to see referees starting to book players for dissent like clapping and most certainly sending Barnes of for his reaction. I would also like to see them face the media when they make errors. But I doubt nothing will change.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here