Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US election (merged threads)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There seems to be one striking difference between us and the Americans from what I have gathered from the TV interviews. For those who didn't get the result they wanted yesterday, it seems they are still prepared to support their country and make things work for the better. They seem far more patriotic than some of the shysters we have in this country who have already tried to put in the spanner in the works and derail brexit just because they didn't get the result they wanted. It is all so negative in this country and it feels like people want brexit to fail.

Looks like you spoke too soon!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There seems to be one striking difference between us and the Americans from what I have gathered from the TV interviews. For those who didn't get the result they wanted yesterday, it seems they are still prepared to support their country and make things work for the better. They seem far more patriotic than some of the shysters we have in this country who have already tried to put in the spanner in the works and derail brexit just because they didn't get the result they wanted. It is all so negative in this country and it feels like people want brexit to fail.

Are you totally bonkers? There are demonstrations all over the US, with riot police having to be called in. I can't recall a single violent protest after the EU referendum

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I know we live in a post truth age, but this is ridiculously false in every respect!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
This is all very interesting for me as I was writing about this in my undergraduate and masters degrees in International Relations back in the 90s. There was a consensus at the beginning of the 90s that with the collapse of the Berlin wall that we had as a human race reached 'the end of history' where effectively the preponderance of western liberal democracy and globalisation would lead to a stable world. I think until 911 most of us probably fell in to the trap of believing that this would be the case. What we had was a unipolar world order where the United States surfaced from the cold war as the sole dominating power in world politics. The US kept 100,000 troops stationed in Asia and Europe and by guaranteeing the safety of its allies subdued the need for security of other states. This paved the way for closer economic and political cooperation between states across the globe.

However this dominance has been economically costly and particularly since the recession for the US has become more difficult. What we are now seeing I believe with the election of Trump is the final move away for the US from a position of a global hegemonic power. Understandably the US people are more concerned with whats happening on their own doorstep, jobs, immigration, poverty and we will now see the US taking a more isolationist stance in the International realm and perhaps even the end of organisations such as NATO which Trump has already declared obsolete.

In the UK with Brexit we have seen a similar movement. A majority of the population being unwilling to continue to foot the bill for economic and political integration with other European states when the overall economy is struggling and people are thinking about their own families and communities first and foremost.

What this all this means collectively is a change in the world order from a unipolar world to a multipolar world with several global players emerging all pursuing their own self interest. We already see Russia prodding at the cracks in the US and allied forces commitment to action in the middle east and starting to flex its military muscle more and more. Expect to see more of this from Russia and the likes of China as the barriers to trade start to go up. Expect to see cracks in the relationship between European countries start to grow wider. The problem: a multi-polar world is less stable and more prone to conflict, it leads to increased suspicion of others motives, weapons proliferation and arms races, military alliances over economic ones. I hope that I am wrong but this cycle has happened throughout history time and time again.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Are you totally bonkers? There are demonstrations all over the US, with riot police having to be called in. I can't recall a single violent protest after the EU referendum

No [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] isn't totally bonkers , he is talking about the democrat politicians, and various others interviewed on TV yesterday who were expressing the wish that it works out for trump as president as opposed to bellends here like Sadiq Khan here who immediately started spouting crap about London breaking away from the uk (yes I know it was tongue in cheek), it doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to work that out.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
This is another example where the majority of the people DON'T get what they want ...and that's democracy? ....It's more like the mouthy Minority NOT the silent majority.

They all had the chance to campaign and vote for what they want.

They knew the system they were operating under.

If they chose not to vote, or to pile up votes in easy areas rather than target states that really mattered, then they get what they deserve.

And should quit their whinging.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This is another example where the majority of the people DON'T get what they want ...and that's democracy? ....It's more like the mouthy Minority NOT the silent majority.

28 states wanted Trump, only 20 wanted Clinton.

The majority did get what they wanted.

(at this stage with 4 still undecided)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I have had 8 US Presidents in my lifetime and I can confidently say not one has affected my life, so whilst I'm sure your right who gives a tshit

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Tired of being told what is best for them by a deracinated elite, fed up with having mass immigration and multiculturalism and political correctness foisted on them, people tell the political and intellectual Establishment that its days are numbered.

If that is populism then its emergence is not before time.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Tired of being told what is best for them by a deracinated elite, fed up with having mass immigration and multiculturalism and political correctness foisted on them, people tell the political and intellectual Establishment that its days are numbered.

Spot on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have had 8 US Presidents in my lifetime and I can confidently say not one has affected my life, so whilst I'm sure your right who gives a tshit

i can tell you effects of the their foreign policy and macro economic policy bloody well have affected you. for one thing, the roots of the 2008 financial crisis are in policy from Clinton.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] isn't totally bonkers , he is talking about the democrat politicians, and various others interviewed on TV yesterday who were expressing the wish that it works out for trump as president as opposed to bellends here like Sadiq Khan here who immediately started spouting crap about London breaking away from the uk (yes I know it was tongue in cheek), it doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to work that out.

He didn't say that though, he said Americans were accepting the result - even as tens of thousands of people are taking to the streets.

And I don't recall many senior politicians contesting the Brexit vote. The leaders of both main parties, both Remainers, said that Brexit means Brexit and should happen right away, as have most senior MPs. There have been one or two who said they should fight it (notably Tony Blair) but there have been several politicians in the US who have said they'll continue to fight against Trump,

I know we live in post-fact age but things are getting ridiculous now

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

This is how Trump won of course, he appealed to the ordinary white working man and made them think a vote for him was a vote for exactly that. It isn't any such thing though, and I suspect they are in for a far worse time of it. There is a great article in this weeks Economist that explains this pretty well:

From The Economist article said:
"Since I've been voting, it's always been Clinton or Bush; I want a different name", say Rob, the site superintendent
On the face of it, this is irrational. The men's union membership brings privileges, including pay a third higher than their non-unionised colleagues make, which Mrs Clinton supports and Mr Trump threatens to dismantle.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i can tell you effects of the their foreign policy and macro economic policy bloody well have affected you. for one thing, the roots of the 2008 financial crisis are in policy from Clinton.

Anyone who knows someone effected by various Middle-Easterns wars are also affected. My wife's friend lost her army son in Afghanistan, for example. :down:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
There are thoughts within the American collective thinking that Trump doesn't know what the hell he will do as a leader of his country and if the American public doesn't come-together and support him the most likely thing is great chaos. The Republicans will fight with him as they already have. His running mate, VP Chris Pence, is part of the Republican ruling class and will work to bridge the tension between him and Paul Ryan, the speaker of the House of Representatives, but there are very contentious times ahead for Ryan and Trump. The Democrats see openings for appointments with in his administration.

After elections it is normal for American politicians to extend the hand of peace and then fall right back into squabbling. Let's hope the internal squabbling between the Republicans and Trump is much less for the world's sake than the Obama/Democrats vs Ryan/McConnell (Kentucky Republican majority leader in the US Senate)/Republicans fights in the past.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/07/politics/paul-ryan-donald-trump-racist-comment/

http://fortune.com/2016/06/30/mcconnell-battles-trump-backlash-threatening-gop-senate-control/

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here