Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes, the "pigs" in Animal Farm talk.

Yet its still not a book about talking pigs. Yes, I understand it could be quite hard to understand if you are the type of person Whitechapel described. Maybe a quote from the author himself could possibly give you a hint from which a deeper understanding could develop: "Of course I intended it primarily as a satire on the Russian revolution".

Yes, I know all that, I was just being facetious, sorry.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Good game, an away point in this league is always good, in all circumstances.
You just feel that the goals are coming soon.
Any other day that ball would have been over the line.
Wish I had stayed up for it now.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the NSC people for having the "ignore" function to deal with masochist people like this "spence" guy. Was very obvious last week that this dudes interest in Brighton revolves around finding the most negative angle at any point regardless of whats actually happening. I know he subconsciously believes feeling negative about others makes him feel better about himself but fortunately its not how it works.

While I realise its a sad personality disorder and I sort of feel bad for the guy, its still pretty tiresome to watch. I'm probably not the only one having that feeling. My advice to people: while critical thinking is good & interesting stuff, some people you could just ignore without missing out on anything, because they are not really talking about Brighton/football but merely using this forum as a vehicle to deal with their own issues in a way that is very non-constructive.

**** off!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The problem is; some of these people who see the game better actually don’t. At all.

They base their entire judgement of the game on the final score. They don’t understand nuance, let alone see it. We drew 0-0 so today was bad. They don’t take anything else in to consideration. They don’t look at the fact we were missing numerous first team players, they don’t look at the excellent debut from a youth team player who had a goal ruled out for a marginal offside. They don’t look at the fact that our 19 year old wonder-kid was denied an excellent first goal by a ludicrously good piece of defending. They don’t see and understand the massive spike in performances this season. They just see the result, they don’t understand anything more than 0-0. There’s no point them even watching the game, it’s just moving images and whitenoise.

These idiots could sit and read Animal Farm and come away thinking it was a book about talking pigs.

Early contender for post of the football season. I'd give you two thumbs up if I could.

NotABrightonFan

Sep 21, 2019
The hardest thing to do is create good chances against compact defences, as a Man Utd fan, trust me - I know. I wouldn't be worried, you're playing some very good football, not just possession for possessions sake but consistently breaking the lines and getting into great positions. Unfortunately, the players in the final third let you down today, numerous times easy passes weren't played which would have put people in great positions, Maupay especially was guilty of this, shooting from all kinds of angles instead of putting it on a plate for a teammate.

Multiple times you were one/two passes away from scoring a beautiful goal, keep the faith!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
When peeps looked at the team announced before the match i bet they didn't think it would play as well as that

True dat. My worry is we are not converting good performances into goals. Perhaps Connolly might provide the answer.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
There's lots to understand about that.

But I would begin with trying to grasp that Animal Farm is not about talking pigs.

No, of course the sub text isn't, but at a superficial level it is talking pigs (well, let's say animals). The metaphor can be reversed. Football is defined by goals. Superficially, we are not scoring enough; the sub-text is that the new style and approach provide hope that performances will turn into goals and turn into results. But that is not guaranteed which is why the uber optimism about New World is overplayed IMO. You can delve too deep, believe in the New World, then when relegation dooms, think like Boxer:

"I do not understand it. I would not have believed that such things could happen on our farm. It must be due to some fault in ourselves. The solution, as I see it, is to work harder. From now onwards I shall get up a full hour earlier in the mornings."

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
When peeps looked at the team announced before the match i bet they didn't think it would play as well as that

Strange that the whole starting XI were right footed. All except Bong in the squad.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

You could hear the surprise of Jamie Redknapp and Shola Ameyobi after the game when taking to GPott about the way we played and dominated the game. JR said its the first game he's see us play this season and he was well impressed (not that means much but from a neutrals perspective, its interesting his commments). SA was also equally impressed with us and how we dominated his Toon team at SJP.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
No, of course the sub text isn't, but at a superficial level it is talking pigs (well, let's say animals). The metaphor can be reversed. Football is defined by goals. Superficially, we are not scoring enough; the sub-text is that the new style and approach provide hope that performances will turn into goals and turn into results. But that is not guaranteed which is why the uber optimism about New World is overplayed IMO. You can delve too deep, believe in the New World, then when relegation dooms, think like Boxer:

"I do not understand it. I would not have believed that such things could happen on our farm. It must be due to some fault in ourselves. The solution, as I see it, is to work harder. From now onwards I shall get up a full hour earlier in the mornings."

My optimism is based on the truth that in yesterday's game all teams were equal, but one team was more equal than the other.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
missing ingredient is confidence

getting any result against a top six type side in next two league games will solve this problem quite quickly

its all about imposing ourselves on game rather than being in defensive mode all game

fact that we are so low in table should mean that other higher profile teams think they just have to turn up to beat us - far less likely to be true this season than last season

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
The problem is; some of these people who see the game better actually don’t. At all.

They base their entire judgement of the game on the final score. They don’t understand nuance, let alone see it. We drew 0-0 so today was bad. They don’t take anything else in to consideration. They don’t look at the fact we were missing numerous first team players, they don’t look at the excellent debut from a youth team player who had a goal ruled out for a marginal offside. They don’t look at the fact that our 19 year old wonder-kid was denied an excellent first goal by a ludicrously good piece of defending. They don’t see and understand the massive spike in performances this season. They just see the result, they don’t understand anything more than 0-0. There’s no point them even watching the game, it’s just moving images and whitenoise.

These idiots could sit and read Animal Farm and come away thinking it was a book about talking pigs.

It was very disappointing yesterday, but we thoroughly deserved to win. But we did have a goal disallowed and a goal denied by a tremendous goal-line clearance, and those two coming from the two youngsters being blooded. What's not to like!!

But I was sitting at home watching it feeling immensely proud of and happy about the football we were playing. Entertaining is an inadequate word!

And Animal Farm is about Talking Pigs, but it is about a lot more than that!! Some midfielders are more equal than others.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

getting any result against a top six type side in next two league games will solve this problem quite quickly

its all about imposing ourselves on game rather than being in defensive mode all game

fact that we are so low in table should mean that other higher profile teams think they just have to turn up to beat us - far less likely to be true this season than last season

No, the missing ingredient is skill. Quite a few players have several seasons of proof that they can’t shoot on target. Or maybe even shoot. Watch the warm ups too. They tell a story. It’s why £25million on a striker at this level is a gamble. Even double that’s no guarantee of goals or assists. Plenty of flops commanded such premiums.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

Mark '0-2' Lawrenson?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

When have we been in defensive mode this season, must have missed that game

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
When have we been in defensive mode this season, must have missed that game
And we are really looking like we lack confidence

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills