Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
"un-partisan towards the government" - That doesn't mean anything or make sense.

One party is always in government and others are in opposition. The speaker is supposed to adjudicate in line with the rules of order of the House and without favor. He isn't supposed to exhibit his own personal political views, which he has done countless times.

John Bercow has brought the Chair, and has allowed the Commons as a whole to bring themselves, into disrepute.

Has he? You know he is a Tory?

Like referees, people will always think they are biased.

D

Deleted member 2719

That article. Wow. Anyone with half a brain would read it and think, so Corbyn was right and he attended an innocent man's wedding.
Complete dunces read it, see the words CORBYN and IRA and nothing else.

And as for your comment. Liar, plain and simple.
Believe what you want, keep the name calling coming if it makes you feel secure.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

D

Deleted member 22389

"un-partisan towards the government" - That doesn't mean anything or make sense.

One party is always in government and others are in opposition. The speaker is supposed to adjudicate in line with the rules of order of the House and without favor. He isn't supposed to exhibit his own personal political views, which he has done countless times.

John Bercow has brought the Chair, and has allowed the Commons as a whole to bring themselves, into disrepute.

Spot on.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So he never made clear his views on Brexit?

He was a right wing Tory, as a youngster, a member of the Monday Club
, one of the geniuses behind the Hang Nelson Mandela t-shirts that did the rounds at Tory Party conference during e 80s I believe he has mellowed since then, and rightly so. He also upheld Parliamentary rules on behalf of pro- Brexiteers, prior to the referendum ( and before leaving the EU was very popular) ensuring the Government of the day was held to account on behalf of them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i qualified and you ignored it. i'll repeat, the speaker is expected to be unbiased to the parties. he represents the house, the MPs. the government may have support of one party but they are not the same. he has been personal far too often, but that is a separate issue to his partisan support of the house in favour of keeping options open - this is in fact in his remit, to not allow the government to railroad the house.

D

Deleted member 2719

He has bigger balls than me. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

This tunnel vision that most labour voters have is unique to the point of brain washed.

The dangerous brothers are Corbyn and McDonnell.

Vote for them if you have No conscience.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
He was a right wing Tory, as a youngster, a member of the Monday Club
, one of the geniuses behind the Hang Nelson Mandela t-shirts that did the rounds at Tory Party conference during e 80s I believe he has mellowed since then, and rightly so.

Sorry, I thought the point was not letting his personal views interfere with his daily work in such a pivotal role.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
He has bigger balls than me. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

This tunnel vision that most labour voters have is unique to the point of brain washed.

The dangerous brothers are Corbyn and McDonnell.

Vote for them if you have No conscience.

Ian Austin is a nasty , bitter twisted, man.
I have proof, but, if I showed you it, my family might be killed.

Jan 30, 2008
The second, third and fourth sentences of HM Government's response to petitioners against prorogation...

"We must respect the referendum result and the UK will be leaving the EU on 31 October whatever the circumstances. The UK will be leaving the EU on 31 October whatever the circumstances. We must respect the referendum result."

And we're supposed to take these people seriously?

We've had enough of petitioners ,stallers and time wasters Get a grip please ,you've been Grizzling for far to long and it's got you no where, give up on face saving LEAVE MEANS LEAVE
Regards
DF

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
ED2tIcwXkAc9yWl.jpg

Some people will be very disappointed when the second referendum has a majority vote for remain, no doubt about it. I hope we will be able to bring the country back together afterwards

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
So, really, do leavers here think a no-deal Brexit, that could be catastrophic for the economy, and country as a whole, should be championed to soothe the emotional vote of 17 million. The same 17 million who are all now anti EU, and not anti Johnny foreigner, which is remarkable in itself.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Some people will be very disappointed when the second referendum has a majority vote for remain, no doubt about it. I hope we will be able to bring the country back together afterwards

If there were another referendum, which I doubt there will be, leave would win again.

& even after calling for a "people's vote", remainers still wouldn't respect it. Even the Lib Dems have bizarrely said, a) The people should have another vote, and b) if leave wins in a second vote they will still try to stop Brexit. Remainers don't care what the people voted for the first time, they won't care the second time. Unless of course the vote goes their way, in which case it will become incredibly important to respect the will of the people.

No shame.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If there were another referendum, which I doubt there will be, leave would win again.

& even after calling for a "people's vote", remainers still wouldn't respect it. Even the Lib Dems have bizarrely said, a) The people should have another vote, and b) if leave wins in a second vote they will still try to stop Brexit. Remainers don't care what the people voted for the first time, they won't care the second time. Unless of course the vote goes there way, in which case it will become incredibly important to respect the will of the people.

No shame.

I would respect it. Of course some remainers wouldn't respect a leave vote, just like many leavers wouldn't respect a remain vote. It would provide some closure for a while and allow us hopefully to focus more on things that really matter.

You don't think there will be a second referendum, but that's contingent on one of two things, either boris getting a deal with a backstop through parliament, or boris winning a majority at a GE having extended article 50. Right now neither looks likely, but i wouldn't rule anything out right now :D

As for leave winning a second referendum, that would really depend on the leave side converting a lot of people who voted remain last time, because the fact of three years of young predominately remain-voting people entering the voting pool and the loss of elderly predominately leave - voting people over the same period has swayed the arithmetic if everyone else was to vote the same way

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The European Commission trade post has been given to the Irish commissioner, nicknamed Bruiser. He will be leading any trade talks with the EU/EEA, post-deal or post-no-deal.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Another referendum will not bring the country together. More likely to deepen the divisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here