Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bolton game postponed...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Charlton's owners didn't have a good record and Blackpool's previous owner was a convicted rapist. I believe the Leeds chairman had dodgy dealings in Italy (or was that the previous one?)

Duchatelet at Charlton is a millionaire businessman, I'm not aware of any financial skeletons in his cupboard. And whilst the fans don't LIKE the way he runs the club, their existence has not been in jeopardy under him, to my knowledge.

Oyston is an odious shit and a vile human being, but does serving time for rape preclude someone from owning a football club ? What if he launched a legal challenge against the EFL for blocking him from buying Blackpool FC - on what legal grounds could the EFL successfully defend their position ?

The EFL eventually got Cellino disqualified from Leeds Utd, due to him facing tax evasion charges in Italy.

If a businessman has bankruptcies / insolvencies in his past then that should prevent him from owning a football club, so if the guy at Bury has that in his background then the EFL should have blocked his takeover. But if he was the only player in town to buy the club and take on the debt, and the alternative to Bury was administration, then it leaves the EFL in a very difficult position. Of course its all gone south now anyway, but was it obvious or inevitable when he first rocked up ?

Tricky one.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Phil Parkinson has just resigned as manager. Bury and Bolton two of the oldest club's on the brink. Its appalling its allowed to happen.

Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, all within that location whilst they spunk £200k+ a week on one persons wages. Surely any of them could make a guarantor on these clubs in some form? Even if after they dump the owners flushing them down the drain.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, all within that location whilst they spunk £200k+ a week on one persons wages. Surely any of them could make a guarantor on these clubs in some form? Even if after they dump the owners flushing them down the drain.

Where do you draw the line? Do you want Tony Bloom to also prop up any club in Sussex in financial difficulties. Sadly football is a business and they need to be well run and well managed. If they save Bolton then what about the next time or the next club?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Where do you draw the line? Do you want Tony Bloom to also prop up any club in Sussex in financial difficulties. Sadly football is a business and they need to be well run and well managed. If they save Bolton then what about the next time or the next club?

Exactly.

Its a very romantic idea for PL clubs to bail out clubs such as Bury and Bolton, but there's a reason they're up shit creek - they've both been very, very badly run. Bolton have been a complete basket case ever since they dropped out of the PL, and Bury brought in a bunch of players who got them promoted, but who ultimately they couldn't actually afford to pay, and its ruined them.

Sympathy for the fans, its not their fault. But neither is it the fault of the PL clubs. I didn't see much sympathy on here for Pompey or Leeds when it went belly-up at those clubs. Premier League bail-outs would only encourage MORE unscrupulous owners at these clubs, if they know that ultimately their recklessness might just get paid for by somebody else.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Yes football’s a business, but it’s also a tradition and part of the social fabric of many towns throughout the Uk. Let’s not forget that we were also once up “sh1t creek” - “very very badly run” and a “ complete basket case”. In those dark days we were desperate for a shining knight to save us. Never forget what our club went through - I feel desperately sad for the likes of Bury, Bolton and others.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
The ex Bolton chairman spent years trying to end relegation from the Premier League so he could stay on the gravy train. Argued it would ruin clubs that got relegated. He was right.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The ex Bolton chairman spent years trying to end relegation from the Premier League so he could stay on the gravy train. Argued it would ruin clubs that got relegated. He was right.

And he wanted to pull up the bridge to make it a closed shop so teams like us would never have got promoted so I think they've got what they deserved and why should teams help them when they wanted to keep the money for themselves.

Karma is a bitch , sorry for their fans but didn't see them helping out other teams when they were in the PL or telling Garside to wind his neck in

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Sh*t. This is terrible. Founder member of the League.
Premier League riches cost them dear.

Once again, there but for the grace......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sh*t. This is terrible. Founder member of the League.
Premier League riches cost them dear.

Once again, there but for the grace......

I presume it was more the deployment of the riches rather than the riches themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here