Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kosher slaughter

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Given that the regular slaughter of food product animals is pretty disgusting, singling out religious slaughter (be it kosher, halal or other) seems pretty pointless to me. If you get that upset about how animals are dispatched then stop eating them as the industrial methods are no cakewalk for the animals either.

Humane slaughter is a myth.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Given that the regular slaughter of food product animals is pretty disgusting, singling out religious slaughter (be it kosher, halal or other) seems pretty pointless to me. If you get that upset about how animals are dispatched then stop eating them as the industrial methods are no cakewalk for the animals either.

Humane slaughter is a myth.

Exactly...the halal and kosher objections are in many cases, just sticks to use for peoples prejudices.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cant really say how animals feel about it... throat being cut, or stunned then bolts fired into their heads... tbh, its not something that bothers me in the slightest...the harsh reality is, I eat meat....its killed in order to get it to my plate.

This. I work in the City now, but worked in a slaughterhouse as a student (the 'chicken line'), have shot, fished and hunted and am not overly bothered as long as the death is quick, with minimal suffering.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Exactly...the halal and kosher objections are in many cases, just sticks to use for peoples prejudices.

True but by strict definition kosher rules are stricter than halal and yet halal seems to be more abhorrent to some people for some strange reason.

Personally I think that meat should be labelled as Halal. I have no objection to eating it. If that means that people choose to avoid it, for animal ethics reasons of for religious reasons, so be it. I am really not sure where this schools and Halal meat debate is coming from. Muslims I know who follow the rules for Halal, will choose to eat vegetarian, when no Halal option is available.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ever had a doner kebab?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is there such a thing as a nice death anyway ? In the wild most animals would have been predated by other animals if they became injured or aged which would involve a frightening violent death. Either having your throat ripped out by a Big Cat or ripped to pieces by Dogs or Wolves or poisoned by a snake bite or slowly asphyxiated by a Python. All over the world animals are dying grisly deaths in the wild.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Doug you do spout some rubbish - Democracy should dictate food rules ??? I would love to hear your definition of that - one that a double decker bus couldn't be driven through would be nice :thumbsup:
Not sure what your point is? I took [MENTION=2125]dougdeep[/MENTION] to mean that food laws (and all laws that matter) should be made by a secular, elected government, without religious groups sticking their oar in. Hard to disagree with that, surely?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Not sure what your point is? I took [MENTION=2125]dougdeep[/MENTION] to mean that food laws (and all laws that matter) should be made by a secular, elected government, without religious groups sticking their oar in. Hard to disagree with that, surely?

Me too, but I am prepared to look at the evidence. If stunning genuinely makes no difference to an animal then it should not be compulsory.

As it stands if I set up a slaughterhouse and kill without stunning I end up in court, but other members of society do not.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Shock horror-Religious eating practices are barbaric,weird and stupid.

Of course its wrong to sacrifice animals in this way

On a side note if anyone finds the process of kosher and halal meat distasteful and the companies that do this distasteful-have a quick search at our own catering suppliers and their involvement in this market.

Are our pies halal?

It's easy to disagree with that.

How would we feel about laws relating to attending football matches being made by our elected government without football fans or football clubs "sticking their oar in"?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's easy to disagree with that.

How would we feel about laws relating to attending football matches being made by our elected government without football fans or football clubs "sticking their oar in"?
You have a point, (as always my lord), but although my passions run high when it comes to football and may even lead to superstitions, they do not extend to changing the way I behave in such a way that I feel I should be able to break the law in order not to offend a supernatural being. Yes, I believe we should be able to stand at football, but this is for the reason of civil liberty. I think people should be able to do whatever dangerous things they want (not that I believe standing on a carefully controlled terrace is dangerous) provided they do not affect other people.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
This is causing me real angst:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25...us-slaughter-animals-Britain-trip-Israel.html
So why is anyone allowed to have different LAWS because of their religion?

Either it is necessary to have stunning pre-slaughter or it isn't.

Because most of the worlds problems have been and are caused by fvcking religion.

Here's the thing about people who believe in god or whoever............They are idiots....read a fvcking science book!

Its a convenient excuse to use, to impose their brainwashed ideals on the rest of us and when they reach a stumbling block they are all of a sudden being discriminated against in the name of religion to try and gain the moral high ground or play the system that bows down to such pressure.

And having to kill an animal in an inhumane way in the name of religion......just fvckoff!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Because most of the worlds problems have been and are caused by fvcking religion.

Here's the thing about people who believe in god or whoever............They are idiots....read a fvcking science book!

Its a convenient excuse to use, to impose their brainwashed ideals on the rest of us and when they reach a stumbling block they are all of a sudden being discriminated against in the name of religion to try and gain the moral high ground or play the system that bows down to such pressure.

And having to kill an animal in an inhumane way in the name of religion......just fvckoff!

Yeah, I'm sure you're right.

Oh hang on, Stalin was an atheist wasn't he. And what about that nice chairman Mao?

People will always find ways to control, hurt and kill other people. If religion did not exist then rest assured we'd find other ingenious ways of decreasing the planet's population.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If religion did not exist then rest assured we'd find other ingenious ways of decreasing the planet's population.

I hope so. It's getting far too crowded here. How about termination at a fixed age? Like Logan's Run.

D

Deleted member 22389

Your right. Our silly governments have bent over backwards to appease other religions in this country, over our own culture. After thinking about this whole debate around the meat I think Denmark have got it right. Just ban it then we wouldn't have any of these problems, end of story. People can kick and scream all they like, but for me welfare of the animal overules everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here