Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vinyl

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I was burgled one Christmas about twenty years ago. All my vinyl lps and singles were stolen- a huge number and I have not really got over it. The money came through on the insurance and having a young family I used it 'sensibly' as a deposit for a new home. (Things were much cheaper in those days). About a month ago, and with a bit more surplus cash I thought about attempting to re stock as many of the records I had in vinyl format. So far I have three albums and a twelve inch single. Early days and nothing to play them on but determined to see this through. I feel it may be expensive to do. Anyone recommend good places to purchase from? I notice there is a fair at the Brighton Centre in February.

Depends how mainstream or obscure your collection was. You'll get plenty of choice at a record fair, although prices could be a bit higher than you'd pay on eBay or even Discogs. And will also depend on whether you're after absolute top notch condition, or are happy to settle for Very Good/Excellent vinyl, as per Record Collector gradings.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Depends how mainstream or obscure your collection was. You'll get plenty of choice at a record fair, although prices could be a bit higher than you'd pay on eBay or even Discogs. And will also depend on whether you're after absolute top notch condition, or are happy to settle for Very Good/Excellent vinyl, as per Record Collector gradings.

Thanks. I don't really know Discogs so will have to check them out. Most of the stuff I had was not mainstream but from what I can see if prepared to pay the price most are available.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
This ....i owned a vinyl record shop in Brighton btw

There is a lot of misguided hype over the value of vinyl. I spent 6 months trying to sell 200 albums, (only played on Sondek/Ittok) some of which were purported to be quite valuable in the various books I read.

This was not the case in the real world.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
There is a lot of misguided hype over the value of vinyl. I spent 6 months trying to sell 200 albums, (only played on Sondek/Ittok) some of which were purported to be quite valuable in the various books I read.

This was not the case in the real world.

Some are inflated, some are down to a particular pressing. Are you sure you had the right ones?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Many years ago I gave my copy of Ontinous Performance to one of my fiancee's. I looked on Amazon last week and they're going for around £100. She wasn't worth it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Many years ago I gave my copy of Ontinous Performance to one of my fiancee's. I looked on Amazon last week and they're going for around £100. She wasn't worth it.

And how many fiancees do you have / have you had, exactly?

I also have a suspicion that the apostrophe is surplus to requirements but will await one of the resident NSC pedants to confirm - where's [MENTION=2125]dougdeep[/MENTION] when you need him?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The forthcoming Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey album is available on vinyl as well as cd.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cheers. It's that Atoms for Peace AMOK album which has got me in this conundrum. It looks an absolute work of art and it comes with either a free CD or a download so I get the best of both worlds.

For the record I'm 44 (no pun intended).

Got this and The Eraser together new for £20 the other day. Right result.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Go vinyl, go vinyl.

I have gone back to the beautiful black stuff and love it. I'm rediscovering music in a totally old way.

iTunes helped me rediscover music in a new way. Vinyl helps you explore past masters you had forgotten and reconnect with the idea of the album.

Not only that, but you can spend a happy hour leafing through LP covers in old record shops, and even happier times reading lyrics printed inside the album covers or just admiring album artwork.

Go vinyl my friend. Go vinyl!

Sage advice, sage advice.

Since I started this thread I have now bought around 30 pieces and this weekend added Ariel Pink's Pom Pom (I got there in the end SHC!) wonderful gatefold double 12" embossed sleeve edition to my collection. I also liked the Frau's Magic Whip package so much I bought my own. She bought Jamie XX's new one on triple 12" coloured vinyl. It's the way to go for sure. All come with downloads as well, or in the case of Jamie XX an actual CD.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Love my Ska and Reggae music so regularly buy vinyl from the US. Never had a problem buying from these guys: http://www.jumpuprecords.com/ also bought some retro stuff of them, just got 'Dance Craze' on orange vinyl...costs me a fortune but they have some great suff.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sage advice, sage advice.

Since I started this thread I have now bought around 30 pieces and this weekend added Ariel Pink's Pom Pom (I got there in the end SHC!) wonderful gatefold double 12" embossed sleeve edition to my collection. I also liked the Frau's Magic Whip package so much I bought my own. She bought Jamie XX's new one on triple 12" coloured vinyl. It's the way to go for sure. All come with downloads as well, or in the case of Jamie XX an actual CD.

HMV were running their own limited edition vinyl weekend on Sat/Sun. A few interesting pieces. Nothing like Independent Record Shop day.

I picked up Slave Ambient by the War on Drugs. V good.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
How does it compare/differ to Lost In The Dream?

Not quite as polished, but if you like that hypno-rock style then it'll do the trick.

There's still some great melodies in there. Not knowing the first album (or even what it's called) I can only imagine that you can hear him finding his feet with this second album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not quite as polished, but if you like that hypno-rock style then it'll do the trick.

There's still some great melodies in there. Not knowing the first album (or even what it's called) I can only imagine that you can hear him finding his feet with this second album.

I'd agree. I got into TWOD via Slave Ambient. Also saw them live on that album. The new one is a significant leap forward in many ways but Slave still holds it's ground. Knowing your taste Mellotron I doubt you'll be disappointed.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
unnamed.jpg

Saw this in HMV for the first time the other day

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a hifi question. I plan to upgrade the hifi system. I know little about the subject, so need some help. I plan to buy an amplifier, i.e. not an integrated amp. Am I correct in thinking I will only need a preamp for the turntable? And the CD has a sufficiently big enough signal to go straight into the amp? Reason I ask is that this is my understanding, but some preamps are called preamps, whilst others are called phone preamps…why is there this distinction?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here