Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] New face of the Bank of England's £50 note is Alan Turing

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
To deflect a little from the left/right nonsense, I had a shed load of Fifty Pound notes when I sold my BMW 320 Estate 6-7 years ago to a, shall we say 'travelling gentleman'. Kept one in my wallet for a few months just to look at...

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I doubt his family think it was an utter waste of time. I doubt the gay community do. It's better late than never at all. It at least sends a message that we were wrong. As does putting him on the bank note.

He was chosen for his work not anything to do with the dreadful legal abomination that subsequently followed that work applied at the time. THIS IS NOT a celebration of homosexuality!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That's a great decision. As a Computer Science graduate, Turing has always been a bit of a hero of mine. The "Turing Machine" is still taught in every CS degree in every university.

As it was on mine. Turing is the man, he did so much more than code breaking.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In other words, an utter waste of time. Still, keeps the radical left happy and the radical right annoyed so on balance...yep still a waste of time.

Bit of a graceless post. If a British war hero, falsely accused of treachery and vilified was later exonerated and venerated for his achievements I'm sure you'd be the first to applaud. And what that or this would have to do with the 'radical left' is beyond me. Sometimes I'm surprised I don't get even more annoyed with some of the small-minded bigoted bollocks posted on here. You are now on ignore.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In other words, an utter waste of time. Still, keeps the radical left happy and the radical right annoyed so on balance...yep still a waste of time.

If you have no reverence for history and historical deeds, what is the point of remembrance, and learning about history? Righting an historical wrong or injustice is just a waste of time, really?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Bit of a graceless post. If a British war hero, falsely accused of treachery and vilified was later exonerated and venerated for his achievements I'm sure you'd be the first to applaud. And what that or this would have to do with the 'radical left' is beyond me. Sometimes I'm surprised I don't get even more annoyed with some of the small-minded bigted bollocks posted on here. You are now on ignore.

Well you won’t read this then will you! Get.Over.Your.Self ‘arry, it’s only because I think pardoning someone who’s dead and gone for a crime at the time is pointless. Along with millions of others. Nothing to do with it being Turing. Or insulting. You’re faux outraging there, careful, without realising. And don’t start with the British hero stuff. I probably knew and had read everything there was to do with Turing way before you and half the trendies who’d never heard of him until this century did; let alone last. My respect for the great man goes back to the 80s, you know, when you had to be bothered to find out about these people rather than the ladybird summary’s that everyone ‘likes’ before getting back to Love Island. So stick that in yer grumpy pipe and smoke it...SIDEWAYS!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Really?

Really?

Is this

1) ignorance
2) bigotry
3) your idea of humour

I am at a loss

I really am

I'm going for you are a C.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Having had to shift both Bank of Ireland Sterling notes ("it says Ireland on it, we don't take Euro") and £50s which the Raphaels ATM in the airport gave me in Brighton before I think the Nordie notes were easier.

Unless there's very significant inflation and no further moves to card payments these will be extremely rare I'd think - the high value transaction uses are mostly already replaced by EFT or card.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If you have no reverence for history and historical deeds, what is the point of remembrance, and learning about history? Righting an historical wrong or injustice is just a waste of time, really?

Oh do piss off, I probably know more history and the nuisances of the subject matter than you can only dream of. You’re judging by today’s standards, not the time. In this particular example, it was way after he died, he left no descendent even and moreover doesn’t change anything. It’s extreme revisionism that’s all and probably best left to the dons and experts who tend to take my view for what it’s worth. Otherwise we get into Egypt apologising to Israel for getting their shoes a bit muddy and the like.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bollocks! People respect him for his mind not his preference, get over yourself!

You cannot escape that this great man rather than being a national hero and held in the highest esteem was actually criminalised and ostracised because of his sexuality that ultimately led to his early death at 41.

People respect him for his mind and his deeds, or course they do, but you cannot separate that in abstract from what he experienced after the war because of his sexuality. This is a tragic tragic story of a genius we lost far too early because of how society treated him.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Bollocks! People respect him for his mind not his preference, get over yourself!

Tell it to The Bank of England:

“He set the foundations for work on artificial intelligence by considering the question of whether machines could think,” the Bank said. “Turing was homosexual and was posthumously pardoned by the Queen, having been convicted of gross indecency for his relationship with a man. His legacy continues to have an impact on both science and society today.”

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If we are going to get into a pissing competition

Alfred Russel Wallace should have got a nod along with Darwin.

..........but shit doesn't work like that.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Really?

Really?

Is this

1) ignorance
2) bigotry
3) your idea of humour

I am at a loss

I really am

I'm going for you are a C.

None of the above, just read more history and debates about than your average joe. So I’ve thought about it more. Informed myself more. I’m not even taking about Turing really, I’ve widened the context. Pardoning the dead because of what we see as injustice at the time is a fools errand. Trouble is people like you get so emotional over figures like Turing and perceived injustice and I bet you’ve done little more than read the BBCs latest news article on or at best, watched the Imitation Game? No wonder you don’t understand the context of time and get all excited by someone like me who think it’s all a bit late. And therefore pointless. Moreover, lack the wit to see this isn’t insulting to Turing.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I don't think Turing is being acknowledged because he's a dead homosexual.

If you do, then think of his achievements that way.

"A dead gay who was good at maths, who I saw a film about."

Stay thick, it's easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here