Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How confident are you

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Well it depends what it meant by 'confident'. There is a new manager with new ideas who is likely to have some change in approach so I am confident that there will be more interest and excitement. I am also pretty confident that there will a good amount of disappointment.

I believe the season will emphasise how difficult it is to win in the PL and how easy it is to lose by a good few. I expect us to occupy the relegation spots for a good amount of the time but if we are able to recruit a striker likely to trouble PL opposition we may just about survive.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I am excited more than confident.
However, I am confident that our 'newbies' from last season will have learned a lot and will almost certainly benefit from GP's new approach.
My confidencometer will rise when and if we manage to recruit at least two and preferably three more players, hopefully with some Prem experience between them.
Nevertheless, whatever happens, I am more confident than I would have been if CH had remained in charge.
And no, you CH worshippers, I did not hate him!

Last edited:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Have to be realistic that every year will be a relegation battle for the foreseeable future. I would take 17th right now but with a bit more adventure going forward.
The summer window is still open and I'm sure we will see a couple more additions to the squad, Murray needs a striking partner, sadly current partners Locadia and Andone aren't Premier quality.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's the beginning of July. The "big summer football tournament" hasn't even finished. We've made two signings, heard very little about any going. The players have barely been back at training a week. We've got zero idea of how the team will set up, how the players will adapt under potter. We know nothing, jon snow.

I'm still waiting for Amazon to deliver my confidence meter, then I'll have to get around to unboxing it, plugging it in, calibrating it and making sure it's working properly before I can be anywhere close to discussing how confident I am.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It's the beginning of July. The "big summer football tournament" hasn't even finished. We've made two signings, heard very little about any going. The players have barely been back at training a week. We've got zero idea of how the team will set up, how the players will adapt under potter. We know nothing, jon snow.

I'm still waiting for Amazon to deliver my confidence meter, then I'll have to get around to unboxing it, plugging it in, calibrating it and making sure it's working properly before I can be anywhere close to discussing how confident I am.

Acker, what are you going to test your confidence meter on to ensure it is working properly?
I am also awaiting mine and I want to put it through some rigorous testing!:clap:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Once all our summer dealings have been completed, then I can answer the question

We might be at that point already Meg. The recruitment team have been exonerated by Barber. It’s clear that the club’s board expect Potter to find success with the existing crop of players.

Can we avoid relegation with no more signings?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We might be at that point already Meg. The recruitment team have been exonerated by Barber. It’s clear that the club’s board expect Potter to find success with the existing crop of players.

Can we avoid relegation with no more signings?

Yes, if Băluţă and Mlakar turn out to be stella signings from day 1 with the senior squad.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Acker, what are you going to test your confidence meter on to ensure it is working properly?
I am also awaiting mine and I want to put it through some rigorous testing!:clap:

I've ordered one that comes with a testing card.

DavePage

I'm overoptimistic as I am every season, but feel that if things have to take time to settle into the new system, then that's fine.
Biggest fear is the bedwetters that blast just about everyone if the immediate success is not there.
So doom and gloom guys stay away.
Playing dramatic new system(s) will make us the fourth promoted side that the other teams have to figure out. So don't go mad if we are top ten at Christmas or bottom for that matter.
There's going to be a learning curve, which will be exciting win lose or draw.
It will be interesting to see how many players will be able to adapt to regular system changes or just want the sideways passing safety first.
Hopefully this time next season we will be even more excited with the progress already made, bearing in mind that we will never be in the 40-100 million buying bracket

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The only confidence I have is in Tony, the rest, new manager and results just get down on my knees and pray!

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
How the hell can you be confident we will get relegated when, at most, you've seen a few running drills on Seagulls TV? Hughton in charge and based on last season I'd share your confidence.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Because I think Chris Hughton did brilliantly to keep us up twice in a row and I don't have the same faith in an inexperienced manager.
Doesn't mean I won't be getting fully behind the team and Potter though.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Because I think Chris Hughton did brilliantly to keep us up twice in a row and I don't have the same faith in an inexperienced manager.
Doesn't mean I won't be getting fully behind the team and Potter though.

Whereas I would say we stayed up despite Chris last season... he had to go... he did... move on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think last season will have taught us a lot of lessons. Defending your way to survival with little attacking impetus is highly risky and we got away with it by the skin of our teeth.

The risk we face this season is over compensating and go for all out attack.

Ideally we balance the two to find the sweet spot.

GP comes across as calm and collected with a good footballing philosophy. We have a strong backbone and there is obvious promise in the players we bought last year who really did not deliver. The last element is the signings needed before season start as documented RB AM and striker.

I am feeling guarded optimistic and hope the brave decisions made pay dividends.

If we do play expansively and go for all out attack as you put it, then almost certainly I can see a return to the Championship looming come the end of the season. As hard a pill though it is for many to swallow, an ultra defensive, nee negative approach is necessary, especially when facing clubs in the top six.

I will agree though, that home games against the likes of Southampton and Cardiff, both of which we lost with a whimper last season, we should be starting on the front foot, playing attacking football, and looking to win.

Graham Potter's brand of football look to be very different to Chris Hughton's though, and it's going to be interesting to see what happens. Maybe Premier League survival, in itself, can be measured as some degree of success.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Regrettably I have little faith in our forwards. Just one new recognised forward with a decent goal scoring record would give my confidence in the new season a tremendous boost. I think the manager will be a revelation but generally you’re only as good as the players you have. I think we have just about enough in most other positions, although if Bissouma doesn’t cut the mustard this season, we could be short of a decent box to box midfielder with a bit of class.

Just one new recognised forward with a decent goal scoring record would..........given the number of chances and amount of support provided to our strikers by out midfield last season.............be lucky to score as many as Murray.

A bright shiny new striker would be a nice bonus; a major shake up in midfield is essential, and by a country mile our number one priority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here