Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 2019 Cricket World Cup

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Stayed up till midnight then had to crash.
Good win, though we were more concerned with pegging them down than getting them out.
I thought Root's early howler would set the trend, though glad it didn't.
We must wrap Roy in cotton wool and if he scores 60 + against NZ then we will beat them.
Morgan should swap places with Butler so we get more runs as well.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Good win, though we were more concerned with pegging them down than getting them out.

Which was the right call in the end. Disciplined bowling against a dangerous batting attack defending 337.

Big effort with the bat from Stokes, who has left that assault behind. If only Hales could get his head straight.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Which was the right call in the end. Disciplined bowling against a dangerous batting attack defending 337.

Big effort with the bat from Stokes, who has left that assault behind. If only Hales could get his head straight.

Stokes could end up our best player of the tournament.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
All this talk of teams throwing matches is interesting, but the bigger issue is how did it end up with an 80% Indian crowd for this game?

Do Indian supporters get preferential ticket arrangements from the ICC?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All this talk of teams throwing matches is interesting, but the bigger issue is how did it end up with an 80% Indian crowd for this game?

Do Indian supporters get preferential ticket arrangements from the ICC?

It was all done on ballots last April / May 2018. I got the result of my ballot for England v WI on 25 June 2018. So can only assume 80% more Indian's entered the ballot way back when than England fans did.

Big questions for me -
Why does Root field at slip ?
What does Adil Rashid add to the team on his present form ?
What does Morgan add to the team apart from big scores against poor bowlers and dubious captaincy decisions ?
Why is James Vince anywhere near any England squad ?
Why was Plunkett omitted from crucial games ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Big questions for me -
1. Why does Root field at slip ?
2. What does Adil Rashid add to the team on his present form ?
3. What does Morgan add to the team apart from big scores against poor bowlers and dubious captaincy decisions ?
4. Why is James Vince anywhere near any England squad ?
5. Why was Plunkett omitted from crucial games ?

1. Root fields at slip in test cricket and is a decent slip fielder. I would be confident that the reason he fields there is more to allow Bairstow & Stokes to field elsewhere.
2. I agree that he's not anywhere near his best. Moeen Ali is very unfortunate.
3. He has been shown to be vulnerable against top quality pace.
4. Because of injuries and Hales being a silly boy.
5. Agreed.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I am starting to wonder on Hales if/how much Eoin Morgan's ego being affronted was a factor in the exclusion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we win 3 more tosses I reckon we might actually win this WC.

They said on TMS that the last 6 times in a row we've won the toss, we've posted 310+.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think it is a bit of a stretch, to lay the blame for Alex Hales' absence, on anybody but Alex Hales :shrug:

Hales has been an idiot beyond belief and brought this on himself, but Morgan does strike me as a 'The England cricket team is my town and I'm the Sheriff round here calling the shots' type of person. Granted, Hales has been a loose cannon for a while and this may just have been the final straw but his omission was badly exposed when Roy got injured, he's been in the squad for years leading up to this tournament and I just wonder if another captain would have taken the same decision. Perhaps they would, but Vince should be nowhere near this world cup.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Hales has been an idiot beyond belief and brought this on himself, but Morgan does strike me as a 'The England cricket team is my town and I'm the Sheriff round here calling the shots' type of person. Granted, Hales has been a loose cannon for a while and this may just have been the final straw but his omission was badly exposed when Roy got injured, he's been in the squad for years leading up to this tournament and I just wonder if another captain would have taken the same decision. Perhaps they would, but Vince should be nowhere near this world cup.

I gather it was a group decision. The 'dressing room' decided that it was once too often...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Not having that at all.

Hales was left out because he let himself and the team down. The decision had to be taken on his actions alone. The quality of the players available to replace him, was not, and should not, have been relevant.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not having that at all.

Hales was left out because he let himself and the team down. The decision had to be taken on his actions alone. The quality of the players available to replace him, was not, and should not, have been relevant.

That's fair enough, and I'm not disputing the stupidity of what Hales has done - Bristol with Stokes/playing away from home and furious WAG in The West Indies/cocaine etc- my point was more one of would the omission have still occurred under a different regime and also thinking of Morgan's press conference where recalling Hales wasn't ruled out if Roy was for the tournament. If he's on the naughty step, injuries shouldn't matter, he's still on the naughty step. Irrespective of Hales, having gone into this world cup red hot favourites and if we don't win it, everything about Morgan's captaincy will come under the spotlight and this tournament will be filed alongside the Champions Trophy 2 years ago and the T20 WC the year before.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have they just given up?
Yes.
TBH I think India were not taking that match too seriously, their batsmen never went for it in the latter stages and yet still got to 32 runs behind our score.
They wanted to win, but they couldn't. Yes, it would be better for the game if they'd got out trying, but they weren't going to get the runs regardless. They were well behind the run-rate all game, and as the ball got softer, runs were harder to come by.

Suggestions that they threw the game are just daft.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When you've got 337 on the board, and the opponents are scoring under 4 an over, that's all you need to do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was all done on ballots last April / May 2018. I got the result of my ballot for England v WI on 25 June 2018. So can only assume 80% more Indian's entered the ballot way back when than England fans did.
NSC World's Hardest Creature second (and the rest) accounts springs to mind.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we win 3 more tosses I reckon we might actually win this WC.

They said on TMS that the last 6 times in a row we've won the toss, we've posted 310+.
We broke the world record for successive 300+ scores 3 weeks ago. I assume that's not all down to winning the toss.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We broke the world record for successive 300+ scores 3 weeks ago. I assume that's not all down to winning the toss.

Sorry - my point is actually more about batting first. In all 6 of those I mentioned, we batted first. If we bat first 3 more times I think we will win this WC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here