Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] El Capitan is back

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This news has made my day. I love Bruno to the extent that my wife is beginning to become a little jealous.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's always one (and it might as well be me) ...

Yes it IS great news, but how long can we keep on giving 'jobs for the boys'? That's Sidwell, Rosenior and now Bruno that we've found backroom jobs for. Don't get me wrong, I've cheered the appointment of all three; but are we going to find a role for Murray when he retires? And welcome Calde back? And how do we know Bruno (or indeed any of them) are going to be any good in their new roles?

Not forgetting Ankergren coaching the under 18 goalies, and Butters with Cullip working for Albion in the Community. I'm sure Tony can afford it, and these people have proved to be reliable trustworthy employees.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not forgetting Ankergren coaching the under 18 goalies, and Butters with Cullip working for Albion in the Community. I'm sure Tony can afford it, and these people have proved to be reliable trustworthy employees.

All who “get” the Albion. You cannot overestimate the importance of that these days imo.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Yes it IS great news, but how long can we keep on giving 'jobs for the boys'? That's Sidwell, Rosenior and now Bruno that we've found backroom jobs for. Don't get me wrong, I've cheered the appointment of all three; but are we going to find a role for Murray when he retires? And welcome Calde back? And how do we know Bruno (or indeed any of them) are going to be any good in their new roles?

I'm not sure 'jobs for the boys' is the right phrase. That suggests your mates or people you know getting jobs regardless of ability. All three of Sidwell, Rosenior and Bruno are men with real integrity and character. Players that played their part in getting the club to where it is and understand what it is to be a part of the Albion. With the club moving forward, growing and changing so rapidly I think it's not just a nice gesture but important that we have people working off the pitch who are that invested and aware of the clubs past both recent and further back.

Having these ex-players along with the others (Butters, Cullip, Carpenter, Watson, Roberts, Zamora, Mullery etc) in various positions keeps a constant thread running through the club and stops it from becoming a soulless beast.

So yes, I'd hope there is a role for Calderon, Murray and any other player with significant connections to the club and city post their playing careers if they want one.

Leon Best can't have a job though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not sure 'jobs for the boys' is the right phrase. That suggests your mates or people you know getting jobs regardless of ability. All three of Sidwell, Rosenior and Bruno are men with real integrity and character. Players that played their part in getting the club to where it is and understand what it is to be a part of the Albion. With the club moving forward, growing and changing so rapidly I think it's not just a nice gesture but important that we have people working off the pitch who are that invested and aware of the clubs past both recent and further back.

Having these ex-players along with the others (Butters, Cullip, Carpenter, Watson, Roberts, Zamora, Mullery etc) in various positions keeps a constant thread running through the club and stops it from becoming a soulless beast.

So yes, I'd hope there is a role for Calderon, Murray and any other player with significant connections to the club and city post their playing careers if they want one.

Paul Watson left quite a while ago to be the physio at Sheff Utd. Chippy didn't work for the club after he stopped playing, as he runs an antique business, Zamora & Mullery are ambassadors for the club just on match days, so very much part time, and Roberts came back as a goalkeeping coach having worked at Charlton.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yes, all fair points, I hadn't realised quite how many ex-players were on the staff! And yes, as I said I AM pleased and if Tony thinks it's a good appointment then so do I, but just to continue the thankless Devil's Advocate role I've given myself: was Bruno's a 'real' job or one that was created for him? We've seen so many people join the backroom staff, from Ashworth down, and like THPP I hope there isn't too much friction with people having their toes trodden on.

#serialworrier

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Big appointment, IMO - he'll be the perfect bloke to help new players into the club and city. Hopefully he'll smash the UEFA coaching badges and we'll see him in management in the future.

I think he'd be a fantastic manager, personally and I think he has all the right qualities in a personal sense, much like Hughton but hopefully more attack minded.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Paul Watson left quite a while ago to be the physio at Sheff Utd. Chippy didn't work for the club after he stopped playing, as he runs an antique business, Zamora & Mullery are ambassadors for the club just on match days, so very much part time, and Roberts came back as a goalkeeping coach having worked at Charlton.

Yes, I thought Watson might have left but couldn't remember. Could have sworn that Carpenter did something or other for the club but now I say it I think I'm thinking of Paul Rodgers?

The rest don't negate the point. They work in various roles for the club, keeping a link with the past and an understanding of the club which, I believe, is important as the club continually grows and evolves.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, I thought Watson might have left but couldn't remember. Could have sworn that Carpenter did something or other for the club but now I say it I think I'm thinking of Paul Rodgers?

The rest don't negate the point. They work in various roles for the club, keeping a link with the past and an understanding of the club which, I believe, is important as the club continually grows and evolves.

Yes Dodge did work for the club for over ten years but then was dismissed suddenly.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yes, all fair points, I hadn't realised quite how many ex-players were on the staff! And yes, as I said I AM pleased and if Tony thinks it's a good appointment then so do I, but just to continue the thankless Devil's Advocate role I've given myself: was Bruno's a 'real' job or one that was created for him? We've seen so many people join the backroom staff, from Ashworth down, and like THPP I hope there isn't too much friction with people having their toes trodden on.

#serialworrier

I have no idea if it's a real role or one made for him. But I can't imagine a man with as much grace (both athletically and personally)as Bruno could ever tread on anyone's toes. Murray on the other hand would be treading on toes, elbowing and backing into everybody in sight...(I'd still give him a job if he wanted one)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I know what you mean, BUT I don't think the club would shoehorn anyone in to anything they could not do and do well. Having read from Sky Sports what he will be due to be doing, I think it is things that need doing which he is eminently suited to do.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not sure about Glenn - but Rosenior has already got his pro coaching licence and seems to have managerial ambitions, Sidwell too has got his A Licence, and I'm struggling to think of a better role model/mentor (and technically better footballer on the books) than Bruno for players of any age. I haven't seen anything about Glenn getting into coaching but he did seem to be doing a lot more media work last season so maybe that's his next direction. Don't think it's at all a case of 'jobs for the boys' unless they're eminently qualified and capable of doing them. The club seem to be trying to create a lasting 'boot room' type setup - got to be good for the long term providing the individuals are up to it. Imagine Calde, with his Masters in sports psychology and his teaching qualification, would be exactly the type of former player Potter/Ashworth might be interested in adding to the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here