Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans Forum

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
PB made it plain tonight that people paying cash on the concourse is the cause of the slow service.

Nothing sinister by the club, just pay by debit or credit card.

I can't really imagine taking cash to Falmer, but was that the only thing he said was slowing things down? Not the insufficient number of kiosks which are understaffed anyway?

From what I can recall, the fast queue on Friday night (next to the steps) was only accepting cash.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't really imagine taking cash to Falmer, but was that the only thing he said was slowing things down? Not the insufficient number of kiosks which are understaffed anyway?

From what I can recall, the fast queue on Friday night (next to the steps) was only accepting cash.

He focused on the people paying by cash issue.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes but I would guess only a small percentage of the 30k in the stadium won't and of those how many wouldn't purchase inside the stadium anyway. I
Fair point. I've never bought anything at a football match yet, apart from a programme outside the stadium (oh, and an England rosette on a school outing to a schoolboys' international at Wembley; John Sissons scored 5 in an 8-0 trumping of Wales, IIRC).

Don't worry GT, they may not accept shillings and ha'pennies from you old thru'peny bits, but a postal order is still cashless !
Don't worry - I won't be giving them the chance!

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
So when someones son/ daughter wants to get a drink or sweets etc you have to give them the sebit card.... i think not..
Cash is king

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Our bank allow kids a contactless debit card at age 11.

Yep, my boy has a "Go Henry" and uses it at the ground for his food and drink. However, he also gets a programme at every game and they only take cash. The queues for programmes go very quickly so I'm more than dubious about PB's claims on the concourse speed here. From personal experience it's clueless Sodexo staff to blame.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There was some new stuff in there and plenty of meat despite the partial quotes above.

- Bloom/Barber outlined in new detail a new vision for the club of being a top 10 premier league club. Plenty of caveats about how this would take time, and a few bumps along the way. But its a considerable shift from "stay in the premier league" / A considerable newsline and worth it just for that.
- Potter has a dry sense of humour and took everything in good faith. Batted back the nonsense about half way line defending/corners but also was clear he was heavily involved in the transfer window, how he intends to be flexible with formations and that we shouldn't assume 3-4-3 is the fixed line up, and it was Bloom/Barber's leadership that inspired him to be here.
- Barber mentioned about possibility of overseas friendlies including NYC in future years so our singing Twitter fella will be pleased.
- There was some more detail about the Amex sponsorship tie up and improved fan experience (outside toilets, better wifi, cashless stadium)
- Barber kicked back as usual about the removal of the travel subsidy for Seagull Travel "double subsidy" and pretty much gave the same answer as last year about safe standing
- Bloom said he had no intention of selling the club for the "foreseeable future" to a big round of applause.
- There was a good joke about Shane Duffy in a tutu
- Not completely new but Barber confirmed again they're adding a few hundred seats to the Amex.
- Not much on whether there will be more womens games at the Amex . Sounded unlikely although again Amex tie up might make this easier.
- Some silly questions about ball boys, and forks but they really only took about 30 seconds of peoples time.
- There was a lot of bland answers about how successful the window has been (men and women), how the squad is marvellous, and how great Dan Ashworth is but what do you expect.
- there was plenty of honest stuff about can you improve things from last season, away fans used to chant at us how boring we were , and can we score some more goals. to which to be honest - there's not much of an answer but Potter had a go. and was very diplomatic about Chris.
- Nobody asked Tony if Chris was surprised he was sacked :)
- Johnny Cantor kept it moving along very well. He's a class act. And this prog is a worthwile thing.
- And given that its not someone like Neil Warnock or Roy Hodgson up there , you're never going to get juicy stuff about why we didn't sell Lewis Dunk. They are far too discreet and dignified to do their dirty laundry in front of Barry from Shoreham.
- Again. Bit odd to moan about it on here and then not send in your own questions and/or not get down there and ask one. but people always do.
- Listen in full via BBC Sounds if you fancy it. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07hwn1z

Thanks, Chailey

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Not sure, but I got the impression that there would be some kind of card system (cards made by Amex). Maybe supporters will issued some kind of Amex/Albion cash card which they will be able to top up and then use those funds with a quick wave/swipe without having to fuss around with cash, and as a result the turnaround time for buying a pint and pie etc should be reduced.

I can't say for certain that this is the plan, but PB was talking about the Amex going cashless and he pointed out the fact that our sponsors happen to be in the card payment business.

So this is just speculation on my part.

I don't think it's as complicated as that. It's just a case of using any contactless or chip and pin debit or credit card instead of cash.
Edgbaston during the first test match was cashless and a lot of US stadiums are cashless. I think Wimbledon tennis was also cashless this year when I was there. A couple of hotels I stay at in South Africa are also cashless. It's the future.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep, my boy has a "Go Henry" and uses it at the ground for his food and drink. However, he also gets a programme at every game and they only take cash. The queues for programmes go very quickly so I'm more than dubious about PB's claims on the concourse speed here. From personal experience it's clueless Sodexo staff to blame.

They’re not good. I get the impression they’re poorly trained students, badly organised and probably long gone before they can gain experience/common sense.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
He focused on the people paying by cash issue.

Its more the case of it taking 10+ minutes to pour a pint and the newbie trying to find whatever food is left after the club being caught out again as it has all sold out. If anything the card wifi payment has taken longer than cash for me sometimes because of the usual from my bank insisting i use my pin occasionally.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
It’s a shame we can’t have a fans forum, followed by another fans forum where absolute ****ing retards aren’t allowed to ask questions.

The embarrassing thing is that Bloom, Potter etc. must think that the questions coming are representative of our fanbase, rather than being from a select group of imbeciles.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes but I would guess only a small percentage of the 30k in the stadium won't and of those how many wouldn't purchase inside the stadium anyway. I

Well, we won't if the system is cashless and they only accept contactless cards: we won't able to pay

And are all those programme sellers and three-in-one sellers really going to be issued with contactless terminals? I'm not sure how that will speed things up

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Contactless is king and is here to stay.
There is 1 basic thing that contactless does, it is nigh on impossible to steal from an employee point of view .
It is also way quicker whatever a mayo b says..

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Every year i listen to the fans forum for one reason ...

It’s the best comedy Gold of the year

Even repeats of Dads Army don’t compare

I’m sure TB, Barbs & Potts go back to the board room , crack a cold one and laugh their tits off at the divs in attendance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theboybilly

Every year i listen to the fans forum for one reason ...

It’s the best comedy Gold of the year

Even repeats of Dads Army don’t compare

I’m sure TB, Barbs & Potts go back to the board room , crack a cold one and laugh their tits off at the divs in attendance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's even funnier when you are actually there. This was my first one and it seems there are 'regulars' itching to get their 2 minutes of fame. I won't attend another one as I suspect they are all pretty much the same.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not sure, but I got the impression that there would be some kind of card system (cards made by Amex). Maybe supporters will issued some kind of Amex/Albion cash card which they will be able to top up and then use those funds with a quick wave/swipe without having to fuss around with cash, and as a result the turnaround time for buying a pint and pie etc should be reduced.

I can't say for certain that this is the plan, but PB was talking about the Amex going cashless and he pointed out the fact that our sponsors happen to be in the card payment business.

So this is just speculation on my part.

If it is an Amex credit card they have an annual fee so that is another option to fleece fans

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yeah, 'cause someone blocking about a 40cm wide portion of an advertising hoarding that stretches around three sides of the pitch will really stop people seeing what is being advertised.

It is constantly commented on in my area of the ground, especially when we're trailing and the kid in the north west corner has to run the width of the pitch to collect the ball from the north east corner because the other ball boy is trapped behind the advertising, delaying the restart.

Like it or not, the advertisers in the PL pay absolute fortunes for their hoardings so I guess it’s in the club’s interests to keep them happy. Maybe we just need more ball boys.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here