Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’d counter that with VVD, Alisson, Maddison, Doucoure, Ake, Richarlison, Lerma, Andros Townsend all didn’t start for their current clubs in season one.

The Albion’s steady, bed them in for future seasons, approach is the only successful approach. Look at the quality of our football season 2018/19.
Allison? Signed 18th. July, debut 12th. August, followed immediately by 37 other league matches! VVD joined Liverpool on Jan 1st, made his debut 4 days later, and played 20 more times that season! I won't go through all the ones you quoted, but I'm pretty sure Richarlison at Everton and Townsend at Palace didn't hang about getting into the first team either.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Really? It's a funny thing, but for most of my 50 odd years of following football, the normal expectation when breaking a transfer record was that the new signing would go straight into the first team and improve it!
Francis to Forest, Shearer to Blackburn and Newcastle, Dalglish to Liverpool, Rooney to Man.United...........
......or at our level, Teddy Maybank, Mick Robinson and others - no messing about for 12 months 'settling in'.

Are you suggesting the managers aren't being honest about what's really behind poor performance? 😀

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Allison? Signed 18th. July, debut 12th. August, followed immediately by 37 other league matches! VVD joined Liverpool on Jan 1st, made his debut 4 days later, and played 20 more times that season! I won't go through all the ones you quoted, but I'm pretty sure Richarlison at Everton and Townsend at Palace didn't hang about getting into the first team either.

I think Henry was the most famous example, at least in Arsenal's eyes he took a season to find his rythym.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I think Henry was the most famous example, at least in Arsenal's eyes he took a season to find his rythym.

He scored 26 goals in his first season at Arsenal. 17 in the league which is poor by his standards.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

No, Robert Pires is the best example (not sure if that’s who you’re thinking of with the Arsenal connection). Really poor first season - didn’t contribute a lot and found it too physical for him and then incredible second season - possibly the best player in the league that season - and the most assists in the division.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We may not be signing anyone but we’re certainly in full ship out mode at the moment.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
We may not be signing anyone but we’re certainly in full ship out mode at the moment.

Which means Potter has now had a good look and decided upon what we already have and which u23s are not quite ready to step up.

So now we should see movement with regards to plugging the gaps.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Easy way of not bringing through younger players? [emoji6]

Or getting them much needed experience [emoji106]

Will be interesting to see at the end of the season how many got their chance, one of the things Hughton was criticised for.....

All of that said, felt Hughton should have played Molumby or Sanders instead of Kayal, and Alzate has always been a good talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Easy way of not bringing through younger players? [emoji6]

Or getting them much needed experience [emoji106]

Will be interesting to see at the end of the season how many got their chance, one of the things Hughton was criticised for.....

All of that said, felt Hughton should have played Molumby or Sanders instead of Kayal, and Alzate has always been a good talent

Makes sense to send them to a very competitive league, will make or break them.

I think one or two that are still here might get run outs and the chance to challenge under Potter. He’d be hard pushed to give them as little game time as CH

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

I think one or two that are still here might get run outs and the chance to challenge under Potter. He’d be hard pushed to give them as little game time as CH

Too bl00dy right.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
So drips and drabs of rumoured acquisitions now..

Readying bid for Tavernier... how long do you need to ready a bid!?

Favourites to sing Maupay...

Something more concrete long overdue...

Stumpy Tim

Totally agree. The Championship is a higher standard than the leagues we seem to buy our players from.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Despite the perceived wisdom (on here), there is no chance that the new manager will throw youngsters at this year's problems.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Despite the perceived wisdom (on here), there is no chance that the new manager will throw youngsters at this year's problems.

I think you're right, but I also think 18 year old Taylor Richard's comments when he joined us indicates he may well have been promised more than just U23s football. Maybe getting a few chances from the bench? And if he makes an impact, who knows?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The real perceived wisdom is, of course, that there is no chance of any of us knowing what Potter will or won't do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here