Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
If we do bring in a striker would like to see Connolly go to Bristol City on loan for the season. That seems to be one of the only positions where they are short. Appears a good fit.

Think that would be an excellent move for him, why? Has he been linked with them?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given the number of young players we are sending out on loan to the Championship, we’ll have the backbone of a young experienced side next season should we get relegated. I wonder if we’d stick with Potter if he entertains us but takes us down. Dare I say that sometimes it’s better to take a step back before you take a step forward? We could have a hell of a home grown side within a couple of years if the above happened.

Is this a pragmatic or prattish outlook? :smile:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Surely today is the day the club announce a right back....or a striker....or an attacking midfielder.

No doubt one of the above will be signing for the ladies team instead.
The ladies team do not have such an imminent transfer deadline day. Best focus on August 8th for now.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Think that would be an excellent move for him, why? Has he been linked with them?

Under Lee Johnson's leadership Bristol City seem a progressive team that have been gaining momentum over the last couple of seasons(in and around the play offs/League Cup semi final close contest with Man City). Not spending a shed-load of money either.

Johnson has stated over the last 24 hours that they are still on the look-out for a striker to finish the jigsaw.

Not the only Championship possibility, but a decent fit compared to other tamer options that might arise, like a Millwall.

Over to you fellow Exile.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Given the number of young players we are sending out on loan to the Championship, we’ll have the backbone of a young experienced side next season should we get relegated. I wonder if we’d stick with Potter if he entertains us but takes us down. Dare I say that sometimes it’s better to take a step back before you take a step forward? We could have a hell of a home grown side within a couple of years if the above happened.

Sounds like you're managing expectations.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Potentially. Young players need to show they are good enough though.

Seen so many players over the years ( and recent years) who have so much promise and look destined to be a future first teamer but end up not stepping up.

Will be interesting to see.

I'd like to think if we do go down ( and you have to say at the moment that's likely ) , we will have enough to be challenging again next season. Will be interesting to see if all big earners will be shipped out

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Under Lee Johnson's leadership Bristol City seem a progressive team that have been gaining momentum over the last couple of seasons(in and around the play offs/League Cup semi final close contest with Man City). Not spending a shed-load of money either.

Johnson has stated over the last 24 hours that they are still on the look-out for a striker to finish the jigsaw.

Not the only Championship possibility, but a decent fit compared to other tamer options that might arise, like a Millwall.

Over to you fellow Exile.

As i said i think it would be a very good move, i'd like to see how he gets on at that level, even at Millwall :lol: Maybe Luton will want him back now he's fit again

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
At minimum we need a tall pacey striker to replace Glenn and a right back. Come on Albion ffs. We also can clearly see the striker is going to have to be a record breaker - Joelinton, Wesley and Haller all went for 20-40 million. Time to open the bank accounts. Just think, if we'd not literally mugged ourselves off with Knocky our net spend would be at about 0 and we'd have a fresh balance to make these signings.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
At minimum we need a tall pacey striker to replace Glenn and a right back. Come on Albion ffs. We also can clearly see the striker is going to have to be a record breaker - Joelinton, Wesley and Haller all went for 20-40 million. Time to open the bank accounts. Just think, if we'd not literally mugged ourselves off with Knocky our net spend would be at about 0 and we'd have a fresh balance to make these signings.

This. With bells on, including the Knocky bit...

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Seriously?

The only thing I see repeating is the annual bedwetting.

I still trust the club and am looking forward to the ride.

A lot of this thread reminds me of my brother on Christmas eve. Aged three. And the trip to the sea side. Are we there yet? Are we though?

Bringing players in late was last seasons excuse for under performance of some. Most PL managers say it takes a season for new players to find their feet, some literally. We assume the scouting book and negotiated positions were not scrapped when Potter joined, it takes months to establish these, so having run rule on the team and the shortlist negotiations continue.

We have passed the sign early phase of the summer and will be coming out of the dead zone as agents hedge to get best value.

So it's not "are we there yet", it is more "we only got two on the early plan"...that's our bed to lay in. So now we are in the back ended excitement buying end where prices are higher and the risks of falling short higher. I don't particularly want to sit and watch us concede 5 goals against Bournemouth on a cool spring day and hear excuses about players not fulfilling their potential because they were signed late.

Do you have any boiled sweets for the journey?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Rather not go down to be honest.....
Only time will tell as to the number of backward steps taken (if any)....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bringing players in late was last seasons excuse for under performance of some. Most PL managers say it takes a season for new players to find their feet, some literally. We assume the scouting book and negotiated positions were not scrapped when Potter joined, it takes months to establish these, so having run rule on the team and the shortlist negotiations continue.

We have passed the sign early phase of the summer and will be coming out of the dead zone as agents hedge to get best value.

So it's not "are we there yet", it is more "we only got two on the early plan"...that's our bed to lay in. So now we are in the back ended excitement buying end where prices are higher and the risks of falling short higher. I don't particularly want to sit and watch us concede 5 goals against Bournemouth on a cool spring day and hear excuses about players not fulfilling their potential because they were signed late.

Do you have any boiled sweets for the journey?

:lolol:

Small point - do prices really go up as the window approaches? Another way of looking at it is players keen on a move (or their agents) get a bit more realistic over what they might get. I can't see Tyrone Mings costing 25 million in a few weeks, for example.

Now if we suddenly lose key players - Dunk, for example - without appreciable in-coming it may demoralise the squad....but my feeling is our squad is decent and Potter will get better out of them. Locardia, Andone and Ali J in particular.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bringing players in late was last seasons excuse for under performance of some. Most PL managers say it takes a season for new players to find their feet, some literally.
Really? It's a funny thing, but for most of my 50 odd years of following football, the normal expectation when breaking a transfer record was that the new signing would go straight into the first team and improve it!
Francis to Forest, Shearer to Blackburn and Newcastle, Dalglish to Liverpool, Rooney to Man.United...........
......or at our level, Teddy Maybank, Mick Robinson and others - no messing about for 12 months 'settling in'.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Must assume that Molumby and Mlakar are far enough away from the first time to be unlikely to get a game this season but good enough to devlop further in the championship.... risky.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
:lolol:

Small point - do prices really go up as the window approaches? Another way of looking at it is players keen on a move (or their agents) get a bit more realistic over what they might get. I can't see Tyrone Mings costing 25 million in a few weeks, for example.

Now if we suddenly lose key players - Dunk, for example - without appreciable in-coming it may demoralise the squad....but my feeling is our squad is decent and Potter will get better out of them. Locardia, Andone and Ali J in particular.

Do prices go up at the very end of window, when ambitions are low and resentment rides high?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do prices go up at the very end of window, when ambitions are low and resentment rides high?

I hope the fear and loathing won't tear us apart again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really? It's a funny thing, but for most of my 50 odd years of following football, the normal expectation when breaking a transfer record was that the new signing would go straight into the first team and improve it!
Francis to Forest, Shearer to Blackburn and Newcastle, Dalglish to Liverpool, Rooney to Man.United...........
......or at our level, Teddy Maybank, Mick Robinson and others - no messing about for 12 months 'settling in'.

I’d counter that with VVD, Alisson, Maddison, Doucoure, Ake, Richarlison, Lerma, Andros Townsend all didn’t start for their current clubs in season one.

The Albion’s steady, bed them in for future seasons, approach is the only successful approach. Look at the quality of our football season 2018/19.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here