Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Water canons are the answer

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Would be more impressed if they took this kind of action in the countries contributing most to the causes of global warming: China, US, India, Russia...

So the West get 100 years of free reign f**king up the planet with our technological advance. Other nations reach the same stage and are hamstrung and not allowed to catch up.

Either, you accept the rest of the world will have a rapid industrialisation and pollute accordingly or the West *has* to use the benefits we gained to bring other nations forward *for free*. One has an impact of the environment and one has an impact on the economy. What can't happen is the Western nations stopping the advancement of the rest of the world just to stay on top of the pile.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
Water cannons and long prison sentences are the answer.

I think we should give those who perpetuate polices that destroy environments and habitats, and drive good folk from their homes, a chance to change before we consider that.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So the West get 100 years of free reign f**king up the planet with our technological advance. Other nations reach the same stage and are hamstrung and not allowed to catch up.

Either, you accept the rest of the world will have a rapid industrialisation and pollute accordingly or the West *has* to use the benefits we gained to bring other nations forward *for free*. One has an impact of the environment and one has an impact on the economy. What can't happen is the Western nations stopping the advancement of the rest of the world just to stay on top of the pile.

economy is largely built on energy consumption. cant have economic advance without some significant rise in energy and therfore CO2, unless there are major changes to using non-fossil fuel sources. nuclear, wind, solar, and hydro all require massive investment and their own environmental cost (production of solar panels, extraction of rare-earth metals highly polluting). not sure what we do to bring the nations forward for free or otherwise, theres currently no tech solution to this other than nuclear which everyone is scared of.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The question: How to rid London's streets of the idiot demonstrators? Giving them a bloody good soaking would very quickly send them packing. Boris had the right idea. Why they were never used I cannot understand. Alternatively, in the case of Waterloo Bridge for example, fence them in. A fence at either end of the bridge and no one is allowed in or out. No food, no potty breaks, no water. They'd pretty quickly lose interest. With so many good ideas, I really should be running the country.

Rubbish fishing.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

That’s such an idiotic unsustainable argument. Just because the west has dropped a nuclear bomb doesn’t mean everyone else has a credit to use up one day. We can’t just allow everyone else 250 years of fossil fuel driven activity because - and here’s the rub - everyone including LDC’s will die. It’s astonishing how many people aren’t getting the end of the equation here. If the planet dies we all die. Mother Earth ain’t discriminating on this matter!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Do you honestly think we could get to zero emissions by 2025?
Absolute cobblers.
Get real.

With your mindset and millions like it’s going to be very difficult I concede. Then again history is full of incredible achievements, none more so than during emergencies such as war when technology leaps forward for example. I’m so glad you’re not my grandparents generation. A right surrender monkey you’d have been!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The question: How to rid London's streets of the idiot demonstrators? Giving them a bloody good soaking would very quickly send them packing. Boris had the right idea. Why they were never used I cannot understand. Alternatively, in the case of Waterloo Bridge for example, fence them in. A fence at either end of the bridge and no one is allowed in or out. No food, no potty breaks, no water. They'd pretty quickly lose interest. With so many good ideas, I really should be running the country.

Because of Londons problems with lime scale, the water cannons had to have expensive Brita filters fitted.
So with local authorities expenditure capped, the water cannons were deemed too much of a luxury item.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That really is what life is about. Consideration for others. Other species, other opinions, others who disagree with you. We do not all hold the same view and should be prepared to listen to others. Is your opinion more valid than others?

It’s one of those situations though where one opinion is far more informed than the other as to negate one altogether. In this situation I’m afraid yours is the latter.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Respect to the protesters.. At least they have the balls to stand up for what is right and against the idiots who say there isn't a problem.. Something has to change with how we treat the planet or there won't be one left at all..

I agree. I do always wonder with these protests though how many of the protesters are wearing the latest fashions, buy new outfits every season, etc. Fashion is an absolutely huge problem when it comes to climate change but not many people realise it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It’s one of those situations though where one opinion is far more informed than the other as to negate one altogether. In this situation I’m afraid yours is the latter.

Ahh, refusal to listen to the opinion of others, and to impose your will without recourse, otherwise technically known as fascism. Hope that label sits comfortably with you?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Op works for the government

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Fully support the protestors but the UK is making some efforts and making some progress. The trouble is that China, India and the USA seem to not be too bothered about the issuse. It needs a global effort.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Their cause is noble, methods ridiculous.

Imagine being the prat who glued himself to public transport then forced people into taxis that increased congestion and alas increase emissions..

Target the worst culprits. I currently work within the cement industry and if anyone is genuinely concerned about emissions read this: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/25/concrete-the-most-destructive-material-on-earth

The production of clinker is incredibly energy intensive, we're talking 40tns plus of coal and alternative burning fuels to maintain the temperatures required for clinker a day per kiln.

Jan 30, 2008
Nothing compared with mass migration from uninhabitable areas, starvation, conflicts for resources and water.. we either fix this now or suffer catastrophe later.
MAYBE THOSE AREAS GOVERNMENTS SHOULD TRY A LITTLE HARDER WITH THEIR RESOURCES, i'm sure they'll be another appeal on the tv shortly???
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
I know some folk involved in these actions. They are not 'toffs' and they all have jobs- except perhaps those who are retired.

Why not meet some yourself and stop getting drunk on media images.

I can see why The Sun is still in business.
do you live in Hanover in Brighton and have voted for Caroline Lucas by any chance ????
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here