Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do Celtic fans think they are ?

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
The Liverpool sectarian divide in clubs died an incredibly long time ago. When last discussed on NSC, a brilliant academic article was linked that gave the history. Scouse families have contained both EFC and LFC supporters for as far back as can be remembered.

Whereas the Hibs-Hearts sectarian divide was prevalent until more recently, still with a hangover.

All true, and despite some of the very vocal Celtic and Rangers fans' best attempts it's on the wane at Old Firm games too.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
In terms of achievement, the 'treble treble' is basically the equivalent of me getting dressed, having a shower and eating breakfast successfully for three days in a row.

Indeed.You have to go back 34, yes 34 years for the last time one of the Old Firm were not Scottish Champions!

In England, during the same period, 9 different clubs have won the title.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You could say exactly the same if you arbitrarily parachuted Leeds, Villa, Sunderland or Massive back into the Premier League. Not that they'd be guaranteed to challenge the current Big 6, but then neither would the bigots.

Whats your point ?

Or Ajax, or many a European team not getting the EPL riches. I don't think there is a point really. Clubs from other countries coming to play in our league to share our dosh? Why? Principality of Wales accepted.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Indeed.You have to go back 34, yes 34 years for the last time one of the Old Firm were not Scottish Champions!

In England, during the same period, 9 different clubs have won the title.

Most top European leagues are a one or two horse race, consistently, year on year, with the odd surprise here and there sometimes. At least, as you point out, there is a little more competitiveness in the EPL and the reason it is probably watched with more excitement and worldwide audience than any other league on the continent of Europe..

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Historic? Really?

1. Frankly I'm amazed that this fabled triple triple hasn't been done before.
2. I'd never heard of the fabled triple triple before Tuesday when Rodgers was linked with the Leicester move.
3. Does anyone outside of Celtic and Rangers really give a shit how many multiple multiples either club has ever won or will win?

With all due respect ( that’s true by the way), it’s historic because it hasn’t been done before now, They may go on and do it this season or in the future as may GR. Fact is, at present it would be historic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With all due respect ( that’s true by the way), it’s historic because it hasn’t been done before now, They may go on and do it this season or in the future as may GR. Fact is, at present it would be historic.

Because Rangers stopped Celtic doing it in the past when they both had strong squads, and vice versa, with the old Aberbeen etc to ruin it.

Once Rangers went bust, it would’ve been incredible If a Celtic hadn’t won everything for many years to come. Squad cost and wages dwarfing everybody elses.

And so it’s coming to pass.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Most top European leagues are a one or two horse race, consistently, year on year, with the odd surprise here and there sometimes. At least, as you point out, there is a little more competitiveness in the EPL and the reason it is probably watched with more excitement and worldwide audience than any other league on the continent of Europe..

Even Italy is a joke now with the self perpetutating cycle of Juve having vast finances.

Bayern hauling Dortmund in, about to overtake, for yet another title.

We’re ‘lucky’ to have at least Chelsea/Citeh/ManUre sharing out the title.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Thats as maybe, but [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is still perfectly correct - nobody outside of Glasgow could give a monkeys.

Had he stayed, Rodgers could perhaps have had a "treble treble" on his CV from his time at Celtic. But wave that under the nose of any future prospective employer, and at best he'll get a nonchalent shrug with a slightly quizzical "And.....?"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Some definitions of historic (and not carefully curated, they are the first ones I found):

- famous or important in history, or potentially so.
- important or likely to be important in history.
- having great and lasting importance a historic occasion.

As such I'd still argue the treble triple is not historic. If it were, I'd suggest as a football fan I may have been aware of it ahead of Rodgers jumping ship. Those associated with Celtic and Rangers may care, but not many others will.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Fair enough chap, I probably shouldn't have come straight here after fending off some particularly vile people on Twitter on the same subject. I'll stick the kettle on now and chill the **** out.

Pour yourself a scotch instead.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yup, I was on Scottish radio for half an hour last night talking about Rangers' interim results as well as BR going to Leicester and found the interviewers to be knowledgeable, funny and engaging. The sectarian bellends are a stain on the game from both side of the divide but as someone with a wife from Edinburgh I find the sneering towards Scotland baffling, as she's an absolute honey as [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] will testify

:thumbsup:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Well Rod Stewart was so upset he cried

rod-hull.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yup, I was on Scottish radio for half an hour last night talking about Rangers' interim results as well as BR going to Leicester and found the interviewers to be knowledgeable, funny and engaging. The sectarian bellends are a stain on the game from both side of the divide but as someone with a wife from Edinburgh I find the sneering towards Scotland baffling, as she's an absolute honey as [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] will testify

Don't confuse complete indifference to the Scottish game with sneering at Scotland - they're completely different things, although some may do both.

I'm not sneering at Scotland, but I care not a jot for their football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think your post is symptomatic of the arrogance, and let's face it, cosy English superiority complex that pervades a fair few football fans this side of the border. The inconvenient truth many ignore is that if Celtic and Rangers played in England, with the revenue they would generate, even before they kicked a ball in anger, they would be right up there with the best in the EPL. They are massive clubs. Leicester, like us, are medium-sized clubs that without the money of our chairmen would be Championship at best. There's a reason why the EPL chairmen voted against the two Scottish giants coming down to the EPL once they thought about it properly - they realised how it would reduce their share of the money pot.

Absolute garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think your post is symptomatic of the arrogance, and let's face it, cosy English superiority complex that pervades a fair few football fans this side of the border. The inconvenient truth many ignore is that if Celtic and Rangers played in England, with the revenue they would generate, even before they kicked a ball in anger, they would be right up there with the best in the EPL. They are massive clubs. Leicester, like us, are medium-sized clubs that without the money of our chairmen would be Championship at best. There's a reason why the EPL chairmen voted against the two Scottish giants coming down to the EPL once they thought about it properly - they realised how it would reduce their share of the money pot.

Come on, that really is the most chippy drivel. It is nothing to do with arrogance, just objective assessment. Winning the league for Celtic in the last few seasons has been a cakewalk, and as such not worthy of high praise or ludicrous 'treble treble' talk. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm certainly not one of these 'Premier League is always the best' types. There have been times since 1992 when that has clearly not been the case, and I'm not even sure it is now. But it is competitive. If you are Man City and you win the league, you have beaten Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs to the title and come through plenty of other challenging matches where you could drop points. That simply isn't the case with Celtic for the last 8 years.

And there is no point in saying 'If they played in England with the same money'. They don't, and they won't. Ever. Leicester can buy players Celtic could only dream about, and have a fixture list Celtic would kill for. That's why he has gone. The ungrateful reaction from Celtic fans is truly staggering, and I suspect the long-term effect is that other quality managers from England/Premier League will think twice about going there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here