Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Inigo Calderon signs

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Inigo_Calderon_Instagram.JPG

Inigo Calderon signs one-year extension with ISL champs Chennaiyin FC
Inigo Calderon helped keep eight clean sheets and scored three goals in Chennaiyin's journey to a second ISL title.

Published: 23rd July 2018 08:39 PM | Last Updated: 23rd July 2018 08:39 PM | A+A A-
Inigo Calderon Chennaiyin FC defender Inigo Calderon (Photo | Inigo Calderon Instagram) By IANS
CHENNAI: Indian Super League (ISL) champions Chennaiyin FC on Monday announced that experienced defender Inigo Calderon has extended his stay at the southern football club by one year.

The 36-year-old Spaniard played in 20 of the club's 21 ISL games last season, most of them in the right-back position.

A rock in defence and a menace going forward, Calderon helped keep eight clean sheets and scored three goals in Chennaiyin's journey to a second ISL title.

Inigo's tremendous work ethic and fitness was duly recognized with the "Fittest Player of the League' gong, after he'd put in yet another stellar performance in the 3-2 win over Bengaluru FC in last season's final.

"I am very happy to continue with Chennaiyin FC for one more season. The players, management, owners and most importantly the city and the unconditional love of the fans made the decision of returning an easy one. We are the champions and I am looking forward to the challenge of defending the title. Hard work lies ahead!" said an upbeat Caldi after signing the new deal.

Chennaiyin FC head coach John Gregory said: "I am hugely delighted to welcome Caldi back. He is a thorough professional and a role model for the entire squad with the way he looks after himself on and off the field. His experience will prove crucial as we look to defend the ISL title. Caldi returning is a great moment for everyone at the club."

The former Brighton & Hove Albion stalwart will be aiming to pick up from where he left off last season as the club gears up for the new campaign.

Calderon was undoubtedly the best right back of the 2017-18 ISL but also slotted in central defence in the crucial away draws against Delhi Dynamos and Kerala Blasters.

He joins the double assist and goal-scoring duo from last season's final -- Gregory Nelson and Mailson Alves -- who signed contract extensions at the end of last season.

Having won the ISL trophy last time out, their contribution along with the likes of Raphael Augusto will be crucial in Chennaiyin's title defence and a debut outing in the AFC Cup.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/spo...on-with-isl-champs-chennaiyin-fc-1847497.html

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Brilliant....nothing in that article is a surprise. I was working in India a few weeks ago, seems from discussion (they all want to talk about football these days) he’s very, very well known there now, and they love him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Legend. Hero. Beautiful man.

Good luck, Calde.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Legend , I wonder if he will return in any capacity

I hope he does return very positive influence on the team and fans his last season with us he got vey little playing time but was always on the sidelines motivating players and fans.

This then got me thinking who of the current squad fits that bill can only think Bruno which shows how rare these individuals come around and how lucky Brighton was to have Bruno, Calderon and Zamora in the same team

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
VERY briefly chatted to him when he was back for the United(?) game. Asked how he was finding playing in India. "Ah......eet's ok." was the very non-committal response. He must miss it here...

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Love the smile on his face #mancrush

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
VERY briefly chatted to him when he was back for the United(?) game. Asked how he was finding playing in India. "Ah......eet's ok." was the very non-committal response. He must miss it here...

He still wants to play football, though he'll be 37 by the time the season is finished in India, but his family are back in Spain.

I suspect this will be his last season as a player. Will he come back here? Who knows - but not necessarily.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
[tweet]1059897733249748993[/tweet]
[MENTION=22888]ChazzyBHA[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Difficult to see if that’s his goal or not tbf... love him though

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He still wants to play football, though he'll be 37 by the time the season is finished in India, but his family are back in Spain.

I suspect this will be his last season as a player. Will he come back here? Who knows - but not necessarily.

Surely we have to get him back in some capacity. Im going to be annoyed if we don't.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

In what capacity do we have a vacancy and would he not compete with Bruno for any vacancy that we do have as this must be his last season as a player.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
In what capacity do we have a vacancy and would he not compete with Bruno for any vacancy that we do have as this must be his last season as a player.

1. An ambassador to the club.
2. AITC
3. An involvement with the reserve squads, in some capacity.
4. He has a Spanish brain for Spanish football, must be worth using that talent.

Need I go on?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
1. An ambassador to the club.
2. AITC
3. An involvement with the reserve squads, in some capacity.
4. He has a Spanish brain for Spanish football, must be worth using that talent.

Need I go on?

Nope....that covers it! Love him and still miss him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here