Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leicester chairman helicopter crashes in car park

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Trying to remember back to 89, how long were Liverpool granted “off” to grieve before playing again. Was it a month? Today’s monetary pressures will surely mean a shorter term. It’s a shame the Int.break has just gone because the whole of Leic will need time to process and come to terms with this tragedy too before games resume: board, players and fans

Well, there's an international break on 15/18th November in less than a month and then we play them at home. I don't want to make light of it in any way, because it's obviously tragic, but it's not so far off the Matthew Harding incident in reality. I'm gutted for Leicester, the fans and the family but a month off? Comparing a billionairre dying in his own chopper to 96 ordinary fans sent to their deaths by South Yorkshire's finest? Nah.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have no idea why the media can not confirm that there are no survivors, which surely is the case.

Awful tragedy for the family that produced a sporting miracle, and were very generous to the local community, apparently.

Could be that the are ground casualties as well - the thing landed in a car park. They have to be pretty much 100% sure they’ve identified everyone and informed next of kin etc.

****ing horrible. Thoughts go out to all those affected.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well, there's an international break on 15/18th November in less than a month and then we play them at home. I don't want to make light of it in any way, because it's obviously tragic, but it's not so far off the Matthew Harding incident in reality. I'm gutted for Leicester, the fans and the family but a month off? Comparing a billionairre dying in his own chopper to 96 ordinary fans sent to their deaths by South Yorkshire's finest? Nah.

They are due to play in the C cup this week thats one game that will obviously be rearranged....and then maybe next weeks PL game..but I'd be surprised if postponements go further than that

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They are due to play in the C cup this week thats one game that will obviously be rearranged....and then maybe next weeks PL game..but I'd be surprised if postponements go further than that

Honestly, if they need longer than that I'm fine with it and if there are ground casualties it changes things. But comparing it to Hillsborough is weird

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Honestly, if they need longer than that I'm fine with it and if there are ground casualties it changes things. But comparing it to Hillsborough is weird

I’m pretty sure it has been officially confirmed there are no ground casualties

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Trying to remember back to 89, how long were Liverpool granted “off” to grieve before playing again. Was it a month? Today’s monetary pressures will surely mean a shorter term. It’s a shame the Int.break has just gone because the whole of Leic will need time to process and come to terms with this tragedy too before games resume: board, players and fans

I think you'll find that these days, monetary pressures or not, a lot more rather than less 'time off' is likely to be granted. Don't know how long Liverpool 'got off' after Hillsborough, but Man. United were playing almost straight away after Munich, even if they did have to borrow players from other clubs to make up the numbers (and the injured players who were unable to resume their careers were kicked out of their club homes pdq!) Going back beyond that, 33 spectators were killed at a match in Bolton - they carried on playing the match with the bodies covered by coats on the pitch behind one of the goals.......
In many ways there was much less consideration back in the good old days!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
You would think that being such a rich person, his helicopter would have been checked thoroughly for maintenance issues. I guess helicopters are a slightly risky form of transport compared to a plane.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You would think that being such a rich person, his helicopter would have been checked thoroughly for maintenance issues. I guess helicopters are a slightly risky form of transport compared to a plane.

Erm...how do you know it wasn't.....not being rude but at this stage that seems a bit of a daft comment

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
This is very similar to Matthew Harding back in 1996. Chelsea played on the Saturday after that incident if I recall correctly..
In 89 Liverpool didn’t play for around 3 weeks the season went on until late May as a result.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Erm...how do you know it wasn't.....not being rude but at this stage that seems a bit of a daft comment

I don't know for sure, but all reports are saying a failure of the tailgate. Not many pilots lose control a few seconds in to a flight.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't know for sure, but all reports are saying a failure of the tailgate. Not many pilots lose control a few seconds in to a flight.

I get that...but u've almost surmised that it was due to a lack of maintenance despite the person being wealthy....and theres nothing in the public domain to suggest that....so seems an odd comment to make..anyway I'll leave it at that

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Regular maintenance doesn’t necessarily prevent mechanical failure...

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The problem with a helicopter is if the tail assembly fails, it is almost impossible to control and any failure of the rotor means it drops from the sky. A plane is still able to glide even with complete engine failure. The AAIB usually find the fault quickly. I doubt it will be down to poor maintenance, sometimes it's just fate.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The aircraft will have been subjected to a planned maintenance schedule as per manufacturer recommendations and approved by the CAA.

The CAA used to ,not sure now as I’m no longer working as a licensed aircraft engineer, a monthly publication for the industry called Human Factors. An interesting read explaining with the best intentions most accidents/incidents are human error. My point being and not at all in relation to this horrific event, there’s no guarantee that the more you look to maintain something it doesn’t make it safer. The maintenance schedule is produced from a tremendous amount of data and proven reliability. Engineers pilots make errors and mechanical and electrical systems unexpectedly fail. As an industry it is one of the most regulated in existence.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I guess helicopters are a slightly risky form of transport compared to a plane.
Matthew Harding, Keith Wickenden, and now Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha - they are for wealthy men involved in football, it would seem. Very sad for Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and his friends and family today.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The aircraft will have been subjected to a planned maintenance schedule as per manufacturer recommendations and approved by the CAA.

The CAA used to ,not sure now as I’m no longer working as a licensed aircraft engineer, a monthly publication for the industry called Human Factors. An interesting read explaining with the best intentions most accidents/incidents are human error. My point being and not at all in relation to this horrific event, there’s no guarantee that the more you look to maintain something it doesn’t make it safer. The maintenance schedule is produced from a tremendous amount of data and proven reliability. Engineers pilots make errors and mechanical and electrical systems unexpectedly fail. As an industry it is one of the most regulated in existence.
Fair enough, you know more about this issue than myself.

The Chelsea chairman and a recent similar tragedy involving Brits on a grand canyon tour means I will be reluctant to use one anytime soon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

How does helicopter safety compare with plane? Are they inherently more dangerous?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough, you know more about this issue than myself.

The Chelsea chairman and a recent similar tragedy involving Brits on a grand canyon tour means I will be reluctant to use one anytime soon.

Just out of interest, when were you last in one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here