Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The New Kit - A Youngster’s View

el punal

Thank you, el punal, for this wonderfully refreshing post! I am a grumpy old whinger who refuses to buy another shirt until there's stripes all round (I'll be waiting a long time!) and goes on and on bemoaning the fact that our shirts look unfinished (this season) or like 3 different shirts cobbled together(last season). Reading about your little lad's reaction, I shall stop moaning and just rejoice in the fact that HE loves it. As something of an old git, I should realise that your grandson is the future of our Club, and his opinion should be heard above my belly-aching. Hats off to him, too, if he lives in or around Southampton and is proud to wear his new kit in the face (no doubt) of a hostile reaction from young Scummers. Thank you again for an uplifting post!:thumbsup:

Thanks Salad! Geography slightly off as our daughter lives in Croydon (!!!) and therefore so does Harry, our grandson, of whom we speak. In fact, at school surrounded by Palace and Chelsea “fans” he flies the flag for the Albion, and is known as the Brighton fan. Bless him! It’s down to me to take the Saints fans down a peg or two, and believe me, I’m rather good at it. Hee! Hee!

Once again, thanks for the kind words. :cheers:

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
I love the green kit. LOVE IT.

On the same theme; I'd love it if we beat Liverpool in that kit.... LOVE IT!

I’d love it if we beat Liverpool in any kit, even the Donatello-sponsored, wide blue central panel monstrosity of the Gillingham years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Point 1 - If he received a poo brown kit I reckon he would have thrown it back and told me to get a refund!

Point 2 - I, too, was underwhelmed when I saw photos of the new kit. Having now seen it in the “flesh” I really like it. Much better than last season’s effort with those stupid two tone sleeves. This season’s effort has a distinct “clean” look about it and I like the prominent white effect. Not keen on the silly red stripey thing on the back though.

We seem to have opposite tastes! I love the SbtS red, beautiful addition... if only they'd put it on the outside.
Plus, i really liked the sleeves last season, even when we looked like the Australian rugby team (volt yellow Paul! Volt yellow!) Saw a photo of the day-glow orange version a week or two ago (haven't not seen all season). Looked amazing! Wish we'd used that as Away.

My gripe... [MENTION=16569]nike[/MENTION], [MENTION=6356]PaulB[/MENTION]arber... is the white box on the back... great if you are going for Name and Number.... sh't if not.

All stripe option next season please!!!

el punal

We seem to have opposite tastes! I love the SbtS red, beautiful addition... if only they'd put it on the outside.
Plus, i really liked the sleeves last season, even when we looked like the Australian rugby team (volt yellow Paul! Volt yellow!) Saw a photo of the day-glow orange version a week or two ago (haven't not seen all season). Looked amazing! Wish we'd used that as Away.

My gripe... [MENTION=16569]nike[/MENTION], [MENTION=6356]PaulB[/MENTION]arber... is the white box on the back... great if you are going for Name and Number.... sh't if not.

All stripe option next season please!!!

Sorry, misunderstanding. I love the Sussex By The Sea addition, I just wish it was on the OUTSIDE of the collar rather than the red stripey thing! Anyway, we are all agreed it’s those wearing the shirt that are the most important.

Jul 7, 2003
My view is that it looks 'off' without a name and number. I do wish they'd produce an all stripe version for those of us who don't want to add a name instead of the white box.

Totally agree on both fronts.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Lots of issues but it's the best kit we've had since League 1 promotion season and very pleased the Grandson likes it.

I wonder if you got an equal reaction to other kits over the years? Either way makes a wonderful change as British kids here seem to be in Barca, Real and PSG kits constantly.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I showed my 5 year old the pictures of the new kits the day they came out to get his opinion.
His only football shirt is a £4 H&M England one.
He said he liked the blue one and the green one the same.
"Daddy, can you buy me both of them?".
(WTF) "Ummm no son."

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I like the new kit - I bought last year's as I thought it may be our only season in the PL but I never really liked it as it looked like a fish mash of three shirts thrown together. This year's is IMHO much better but, like others, I wish the "Sussex by the Sea" had been on the outside or maybe incorporated into the weave somehow. Personally - and I know most people don't agree - I'd have liked a "fade" kit like the new Spurs kit. Personal choice - but I think it looks smart.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Thanks Salad! Geography slightly off as our daughter lives in Croydon (!!!) and therefore so does Harry, our grandson, of whom we speak. In fact, at school surrounded by Palace and Chelsea “fans” he flies the flag for the Albion, and is known as the Brighton fan. Bless him! It’s down to me to take the Saints fans down a peg or two, and believe me, I’m rather good at it. Hee! Hee!

Once again, thanks for the kind words. :cheers:

Harry is even braver than I thought! I too was known as the Brighton fan when I worked at Chichester and was the only Seagull in a sea of Pompey fans (when they were doing well and we were in the lower reaches of the League).In fact that's where I get the name Saladpack Seagull from, cos that's what they used to call me. Boot's on the other foot now, but I retired from there in 2011 so I can't get my own back !

el punal

Harry is even braver than I thought! I too was known as the Brighton fan when I worked at Chichester and was the only Seagull in a sea of Pompey fans (when they were doing well and we were in the lower reaches of the League).In fact that's where I get the name Saladpack Seagull from, cos that's what they used to call me. Boot's on the other foot now, but I retired from there in 2011 so I can't get my own back !

Ah, Pompey! That most insular of towns with that most insular of football clubs with the most backward looking fans in the universe. The fans that think Fratton Park is the best football ground in the world, populated by the most passionate fans in the world - when in fact the place is a complete shit hole.

Two pieces of information that will always stick in my memory about our lovely, not too distant neighbours :

1. When the club was riding high on the hog in the Premier League, and splashing the cash that wasn’t theirs, their fans revelled in the fact that Fratton Park did not have ONE executive box available, contrary to all other clubs who saw corporate entertainment as part of their commercial development. Old school, proper football ground innit, mush! :facepalm:

2. When the shit hit the fan and Pompey went into administration, the list of creditors was published. A certain creditor, Southampton Football Club, was owed £64 for the loan of training equipment to the blue end of the Solent. Now to a proper, true blue nose Pompey fan that must have stuck in their craw! :lolol:

As you say, the boot is definitely on the other foot! :cheers:

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Ah, Pompey! That most insular of towns with that most insular of football clubs with the most backward looking fans in the universe. The fans that think Fratton Park is the best football ground in the world, populated by the most passionate fans in the world - when in fact the place is a complete shit hole.

Two pieces of information that will always stick in my memory about our lovely, not too distant neighbours :

1. When the club was riding high on the hog in the Premier League, and splashing the cash that wasn’t theirs, their fans revelled in the fact that Fratton Park did not have ONE executive box available, contrary to all other clubs who saw corporate entertainment as part of their commercial development. Old school, proper football ground innit, mush! :facepalm:

2. When the shit hit the fan and Pompey went into administration, the list of creditors was published. A certain creditor, Southampton Football Club, was owed £64 for the loan of training equipment to the blue end of the Solent. Now to a proper, true blue nose Pompey fan that must have stuck in their craw! :lolol:

As you say, the boot is definitely on the other foot! :cheers:

Nail on head. When we were playing at the level they are now, they insisted it was "Mickey Mouse" football and that the "Seaweeds" or "Hove Onion" (?!!) would NEVER reach the same dizzy heights as Pompey! As I quietly said at the time, football has a way of coming full circle and that they should be nice to me on the way up, 'cos they'd meet me again on the way down!:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here