Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I too sat crushed for a while. The decision was correct, though. A few around me in West Upper got a bit shouty about VAR. I thought that was a bit pathetic, actually. Rather like the mugs who berated black players in the 70s if they fluffed a chance. We'll get used to it, just like we got used to seat belts and not smoking in the pub before having a skinful and driving home :shrug:
Harry that’s a bit of a leap from having a go at VAR for a marginal decision to blatant racism. I’ve got over the back pass rule now.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
It’s now an entirely different game. RIP football as was. Should do away with fans next. I mean, what’s the point. Far better if we all stay at home and analyse sport from a multitude of angles in slow motion to ensure ‘fairness’ whilst ignoring the utter unlevel playing pitch that exists already because of oil, gas and global gambling addicts. Also game could be stopped for every tackle and scrutinised, with adverts in between to increase money in the ‘sport’. Lets just get on with it and host the Cocaine Cup, biggest cartel wins eh? Losers get shot...(rings a bell?). Why not extend each goal to a television vote, the excitement would be immense. Again advertising slots could be promoted as the decision is awaited. In some instances, you might be able to boil a kettle, make a cuppa and return just in time to see the decision made. This is brilliant stuff, football was so dull before and VAR is the best invention ever because of the tension it builds and ‘equality’ it brings...

Absolutely incredible meltdown. Not seen a meltdown like it since TSB found out we sacked CH.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Goal line technology 100% yes! It’s instant and that’s how it should be. VAR is shit and should be discontinued at the earliest opportunity end of conversation as far as I’m concerned.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
How it's currently being applied it's a huge No from me. As opposed to eradicating clear and obvious errors it appears to be an instrument to examine virtually every goal with a view to looking for a reason to disallow. Without VAR nobody in the ground would have even noticed the supposed possible foul by Murray leading up to our goal. I also doubt whether there would have been a massive post match debate about our first goal.

The very nature by which we celebrate goals will be changed for the worse. There will be a subdued reaction whilst we all wait for the players lined up around the the centre circle waiting for the ref to confirm the decision. That type of suspense might work in cricket but not in football.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
VAR is here, so we must embrace it. If decisions are corrected that’s fine. However, it will ruin the enjoyment for those at a game unless the decisions are communicated to the crowd. Watford was ok, today was a shambles!

The ruled out goal today took 2 to 3 minutes for it to pop up on the screen that its being reviewed. 3 other VAR’s today and nothing on the screens, so nobody except the ref could possibly know what the hell was going on. If VAR reviews every goal why not instantly put review up on the screens and give the reason for the decision? I can’t really understand why that is so difficult?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harry that’s a bit of a leap from having a go at VAR for a marginal decision to blatant racism. I’ve got over the back pass rule now.

My point was that chanting 'VAR out' evey time a decision doesn't go out way (and starting an NSC poll about it) will soon be a thing of the past, just like muttering 'soppy n*****' every time a black player slips up. I did used to watch from the South Stand at the Goldstone, btw. I remember some twit calling someone a (see above) only for someone else to point out 'but he isn't even black'.

I'm sure some people will say 'that's it, I am giving up on football' but I suspect they have been looking for an excuse.....maybe they don't even realise it. :shrug:

This thread is perfectly fine, and I feel perfectly fine with me feelings about VAR. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Season ticket cut in half and in the bin.

That’s me done with it. Free tickets or Worthing from now on.

Seriously?

I assume you'll stop posting on NSC too.

Tara then. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
VAR is here, so we must embrace it. If decisions are corrected that’s fine. However, it will ruin the enjoyment for those at a game unless the decisions are communicated to the crowd. Watford was ok, today was a shambles!

The ruled out goal today took 2 to 3 minutes for it to pop up on the screen that its being reviewed. 3 other VAR’s today and nothing on the screens, so nobody except the ref could possibly know what the hell was going on. If VAR reviews every goal why not instantly put review up on the screens and give the reason for the decision? I can’t really understand why that is so difficult?

As I have said repeatedly, some tweaks are needed. The 'clear blue daylight' tweak would be my priority. come appraisal time.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
How it's currently being applied it's a huge No from me. As opposed to eradicating clear and obvious errors it appears to be an instrument to examine virtually every goal with a view to looking for a reason to disallow. Without VAR nobody in the ground would have even noticed the supposed possible foul by Murray leading up to our goal. I also doubt whether there would have been a massive post match debate about our first goal.

The very nature by which we celebrate goals will be changed for the worse. There will be a subdued reaction whilst we all wait for the players lined up around the the centre circle waiting for the ref to confirm the decision. That type of suspense might work in cricket but not in football.

Nail on head

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I expect the queue for season tickets to be thinned out a bit as people on it replace those here who are giving up on football....

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Yes but needs to be faster. I knew he was offside from the first replay I saw....then about 1 minute later, while the balls on the centre circle it gets called back for a free kick. Far too slow.

What replay did you see?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
VAR killed The Amex - crowd and players - after that was overturned in the first half today and having just watched Laporte's 'handball' in the pub just now - this is just total and utter ****. That's the there 'The English Premier League' is it?! Ruined bulll**** more like.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's entitled to his opinion, and I'm a football fan for life and agree with him.

Some of us genuinely believe that more correct refereeing decisions will improve the game. To add to that many of us believe that the added drama improves the entertainment aspect too.

Oh bollocks off.

How about a sumptuous volley being scored, nothing coming up on the big screen, unbridled celebrations in the stands, and then just as the teams are lining up for the restart a minute or so later, THEN the big screen declares a review....and its chalked off.

It might be fine and dandy from an armchair, but thats not what I go to a stadium for. Whether the decision is ultimately correct or not, you can stick that RIGHT up your arse mate.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Okay, I have noticed that there are a lot of ***** acting so high and ****ing mighty acting as if they are 'proper football fans' and giving people shit for wanting VAR. Crawl out of your ****ing arses, just because people like decisions to be correct doesn't mean they don't like football.
I personally think that people who want every decision to be correct are sanctimonious and don’t understand the game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Until the day players like Matty Ryan give up running 80 yards to celebrate a goal not given, the day us supporters give up cheering a goal that 2 minutes later is not given. If sanitised football is your bag, best of luck to you.

Spot on fella.

We've given the game to boffins hundreds of miles away. It was never supposed to be like this. Clear and obvious ?

Games fvcked.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Did you have the same response to goal line technology too? Were you annoyed when Gross scored the goal to beat United, and keep us in the PL?

That's a stupid comparison when the objective of football is to get the ball over the oppositions goal line. Goal line technology is hardly required plus it's so much faster to a decision .

The offside rule is there to keep the play in shape preventing tactics such as goal hanging. The obsession with the importance of a correct offside decision goes too far with football especially when you're supposed to play to the whistle. You'd think beating the offside trap was the meaning to the game the way we've brought in var for it.

Why do people get so upset with incorrect referee decisions is what I can't understand? We have a thing called human error. This will occur plenty of times for any human being.. Why not just accept that and allow it to be part of the game? Besides, it's only really the Sky sports football pundits who seem to actually get upset by these human errors made by the refs. Did it really bother any of us that much? Has there ever been a decision where it screamed out for var to your memory? Lampard's England goal and Mendes's Spurs goal against United definitely raised the case of introducing goal line technology, but has there really been a time in the past which has stood out and made you see the needed benefits of something like var? I haven't and that's what makes this var introduction looks like an idea brought forward by people who don't understand the game.

Give it a decade, we'll see a player in the last minute whacking it from 35 yards, a wonder shot which has winner all over it, it flies into the top corner straight into the back of the net, the goalscorer turns around and runs straight towards the big screen and then stands there all eyes on the screen, everyone in anticipation, some fans with their eyes shut, others praying to the sky, and then, the screen reads up "Goal. Correct decision" and the stadium erupts.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here