Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] UK food production.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The wartime diet, thanks to rationing , was a time when we probably ate at our healthiest. Meat, fats and Sugar were rationed but there was unlimited fresh vegetables thanks for the Dig for Victory campaign. However, nowdays our diet has changed completely and there would be riots if we went back to a 40's diet.

So true. If you want to lose weight, try undertaking a wartime diet. Recommend the Spaghetti BLITZanese...

:goal:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No thanks. Let people have choice in what they eat.

If you want the state to decide what you have for your dinner, I would recommend migrating to North Korea.

This.

Weird how some folk support freedom in some areas but not others :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The wartime diet, thanks to rationing , was a time when we probably ate at our healthiest. Meat, fats and Sugar were rationed but there was unlimited fresh vegetables thanks for the Dig for Victory campaign. However, nowdays our diet has changed completely and there would be riots if we went back to a 40's diet.

And the average male was 4 inches shorter than he is today. The lucky b'stard.

Anyway, after Brexit has finally happened* I'm sure we will all enjoy rationing again.

*Luckily it won't happen, no matter how Hard Boris gets.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yields per acre are far higher in many countries for many crops, for lots of reasons. For example, Asparagus produces about 2% in the UK versus 20% in Mexico making it far cheaper to import. It’s a bit of a myth that all our home grown provenance is that. Recommend the excellent ‘Not on the label’, great reading albeit now quite an old book. Still extremely relevant mind, nothing’s really changed and if anything things are probably worse.

Ah, but, is Asparagus a staple part of our diet and indeed necessary ? Maybe we should go back to a diet that is smaller in diversity but grows well locally ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So true. If you want to lose weight, try undertaking a wartime diet. Recommend the Spaghetti BLITZanese...

:goal:

Indeed, none of the allied prisoners captured by the Japanese put weight on with the amount of food they were allowed per day. No such thing as an " Overactive Thyroid " when you were on a handful of Rice a day.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Ah, but, is Asparagus a staple part of our diet and indeed necessary ? Maybe we should go back to a diet that is smaller in diversity but grows well locally ?

That is entirely subjective. We could all just drink powdered protein shakes, be terribly dull though. Quite like a bit of asparagus on the BBQ :) Lemon and olive oil at the ready, chargrilled and delicious!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That is entirely subjective. We could all just drink powdered protein shakes, be terribly dull though. Quite like a bit of asparagus on the BBQ :) Lemon and olive oil at the ready, chargrilled and delicious!

It makes me fart something rotten so I would happily forgo it and try the Soylent Green...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Indeed, none of the allied prisoners captured by the Japanese put weight on with the amount of food they were allowed per day. No such thing as an " Overactive Thyroid " when you were on a handful of Rice a day.

Was inferring our civil populations island rationing, not POW or slave labour ‘diets’

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It makes me fart something rotten so I would happily forgo it and try the Soylent Green...

:lolol: Is soylent green a euphemism?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No, it is/was a futuristic substitute foodstuff..... look it up !

Made in 1973 staring old Heston himself I see. Synopsis of life in 2022 a little too close for comfort!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here