Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Customer Service, Whatever Happened To It?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Last Saturday morning, our much loved washing machine, after nearly twenty years of loyal service, turned up it's toes and died. Obviously with a new load of washing due to be done we needed a new one PDQ. So off we set for our local Currys in Horsham.

When we arrived, bearing in mind it was mid morning on a Saturday, pretty much what l would have expected to be the store's busiest time, there wasn't a soul to be seen, no customers and certainly no staff. Having located the new machine we were interested in buying l set out to try and locate a staff member. Eventually a young girl appeared, looked about 15 but must have been a bit older, and l asked her a question about the said washing machine, chewing gum she looked up at me and replied 'sorry l'm new, l dunno'. I proceeded to ask another question, her reply was the same. When l asked her if maybe there was someone else there who actually might know the answers to my not very difficult questions she thought for a moment and then replied, 'well there is always the manager but he is a bit of a ****'

Not believing for a moment that she had really said that l looked towards my wife, who's face confirmed that she had indeed used those words. Later on having consulted Mr. **** the manager, the young girl said to me 'l don't like working ere, it's borin'. Don't worry l replied I've a feeling you aren't going to be asked to work here for much longer anyway!

Customer service, a thing of the past?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
So one Saturday kid is representative of all customer service, ever?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There’s your mistake, right there........

If you know what you want, use AO.com

Great service, next day delivery and installation and probably cheaper.......

I'm somewhat old fashioned l'm afraid, like to see before l buy. Not too many places you can do that now, Carter's maybe, John Lewis. Don't mind paying a few pounds over the odds if l'm able to do that. It isn't so much the price l'm concerned about, l just like a bit of service for my buck.

It isn't just in Curry's this has happened either, there have been various other maybe not so extreme incidents in recent times too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm somewhat old fashioned l'm afraid, like to see before l buy. Not too many places you can do that now, Carter's maybe, John Lewis. Don't mind paying a few pounds over the odds if l'm able to do that. It isn't so much the price l'm concerned about, l just like a bit of service for my buck.

It isn't just in Curry's this has happened either, there have been various other maybe not so extreme incidents in recent times too.

Wander round Curry’s, choose what you want then go home and order it if their service stinks that much.......?

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm having problems with our new integrated fridge/freezer from Currys/PC World. A few weeks back my wife noticed there was a hole at the bottom of each door. One hole has tape across it, the other you can see the kitchen door foam exposed. I'm going to have to call Hotpoint round and get them to verify what they are. If we have been given a set of test doors i'm going to ask for new doors or a complete new fridge freezer, I'm saying to myself good luck on this one. Should have gone AO like I did for our washing machine.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Last Saturday morning, our much loved washing machine, after nearly twenty years of loyal service, turned up it's toes and died. Obviously with a new load of washing due to be done we needed a new one PDQ. So off we set for our local Currys in Horsham.

When we arrived, bearing in mind it was mid morning on a Saturday, pretty much what l would have expected to be the store's busiest time, there wasn't a soul to be seen, no customers and certainly no staff. Having located the new machine we were interested in buying l set out to try and locate a staff member. Eventually a young girl appeared, looked about 15 but must have been a bit older, and l asked her a question about the said washing machine, chewing gum she looked up at me and replied 'sorry l'm new, l dunno'. I proceeded to ask another question, her reply was the same. When l asked her if maybe there was someone else there who actually might know the answers to my not very difficult questions she thought for a moment and then replied, 'well there is always the manager but he is a bit of a ****'

Not believing for a moment that she had really said that l looked towards my wife, who's face confirmed that she had indeed used those words. Later on having consulted Mr. **** the manager, the young girl said to me 'l don't like working ere, it's borin'. Don't worry l replied I've a feeling you aren't going to be asked to work here for much longer anyway!

Customer service, a thing of the past?

Come over to Germany and see how bad it is here... You will soon realise that the customer service in the UK is miles better..

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Electrical shops are basically show rooms now. Look on line...find one you like and is a decent price and trawl the shops to see if you can actually touch it!

Then offer them the online price, if they say no, then buy on line

Simples.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Currys? Didn't even know they were still going. John Lewis a better bet on the high street. Better warranty generally too - got 5 years on my Miele

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
There’s your mistake, right there........

If you know what you want, use AO.com

Great service, next day delivery and installation and probably cheaper.......

AO is why your high street retails are dying off, eventually we'll reach the point where you can only buy appliances online. Then, some bright spark will have the idea of opening a shop so that people can see the items before they buy!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
AO is why your high street retails are dying off, eventually we'll reach the point where you can only buy appliances online. Then, some bright spark will have the idea of opening a shop so that people can see the items before they buy!

Will never catch on........[emoji23][emoji23]

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Should have come to Crawley, those Horsham people are so chavvy.
Truthfully, I had a freezer emergency coming up to Christmas before last, and went to the Currys in County Oak Crawley, decent customer service but the model I chose was not in stock, they checked and found that Horsham had stock, reserved it for me from there and I went to pick it up. On getting to the Horsham branch, it was a bit less helpful, first bloke I spoke to said he "didn't do white goods" even when I explained I was just picking it up, the next could not get his head around the idea that I had ordered something from the Crawley Branch and was trying to pick it up in Horsham, eventually got it sorted with the help of a young chap, put his seniors in the store to shame, quickly understood the situation and could not have done any more, but he told me he was only there for the Christmas period then back to University.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here