Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Chance of rain is less than 30% before CoP tonight, so Root won’t be factoring that into his thinking at all. Pitch is a bit dead and Smith is basically helping himself (as usual). Get him out and we’d still be very much in with a decent chance - but chasing anything over 250 is pretty much out of reach in any normal test match. Aussies will be c250 ahead at tea if they carry on as now, but wouldn’t be declaring until they get close to 400 and are totally safe from defeat (close of play or thereabouts), leaving a difficult day tomorrow against Lyon’s spin to survive (chances of rain are again limited to about 30%) with zero chance of winning.

Fascinating, I bloody love test cricket.

If they are 250 ahead at tea I’d expect them to hit out for 20 overs of the session to have a little dart at England (c.8 overs) before close of play.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Well yes. Look at SA without Steyn at the World Cup.

They screwed themselves by picking an unfit front line bowler. We're still in the game, and the series. Even if that's Jimmy done. Our greatest bowler ever.....

People love talking England down.

We'll win this series.

Not unless Smith gets injured or we find a way to get him out for less than 50 every time he bats.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Denly on, lots of faith being shown Moeen :lolol:

Can’t imagine he’ll be in the side next time out.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This pitch is absolutely dead quite honestly, I don’t think the Aussies would even consider declaring at any point, it looks like a flat tracker. Not helped by the English pace bowlers having to make up Jimmys overs.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
This pitch is absolutely dead quite honestly, I don’t think the Aussies would even consider declaring at any point, it looks like a flat tracker. Not helped by the English pace bowlers having to make up Jimmys overs.

Smith and poor bowling are making it look flat. A decent spinner like Lyon will fancy his chances and they’ve got 3 very good and well rested seamers. We’re bang in trouble. Our body language is terrible now.

Guaranteed Australia will have at least 8 overs at us tonight. I’d be amazed if they didn’t declare as they’d be around 350 in front. We ain’t chasing that in a day.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Smith and poor bowling are making it look flat. A decent spinner like Lyon will fancy his chances and they’ve got 3 very good and well rested seamers. We’re bang in trouble. Our body language is terrible now.

Guaranteed Australia will have at least 8 overs at us tonight. I’d be amazed if they didn’t declare as they’d be around 350 in front. We ain’t chasing that in a day.

Agreed.....plot has been lost. Doesn’t bode well for the series - we literally have no idea how to get Smith out.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
England just look super flat out there, Smith has sucked the belief out of the bowling attack and the rest of the team.

NOT taking the new ball? Roots captaincy is really strange at times, could understand if Ali was bowling well and ripping it but definitely not the case

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This Test has already gone, nothing less than a consecutive Bowling AND batting miracle can save us.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Moeen ‘Judge me on my bowling’ Ali

Ok, you’re out pal.

As much as I don’t like changing teams so early in a series, Ali is almost certain to be replaced by Leach. The other one for me who looks bereft of confidence is Bairstow. Keeping and batting all at sea. Foakes seems the obvious replacement.

Could be a very different England team next test if Anderson is injured.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here