Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Drinkwater

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
May I point out that Schelotto has had a few chances, and is injured anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I know - maybe a chance under Potter is needed but out until new year anyway.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Or they also have Kante, Barkley, Jorginho, Mount, Kovacic and Loftus-Cheek who also play in his position.....

We’re quite well stocked ourselves.

I can’t see Potter playing a 3 man midfield formation so we don’t need as many options as we do at central defence.

The two central roles are seemingly being filled by Stephens & Pröpper at the moment with Kayal and Bissouma pushing for a place.

We also now have Webster who can play DM and Groß who has played CM many many times in Germany.

Then we have Băluță who looks an absolute beast, Alzate, Sanders and Richards.

That’s 10 options for two places.

I’m really not sure if we need another midfielder numbers wise. It’ll be one in-one out.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin

I can’t see Potter playing a 3 man midfield formation so we don’t need as many options as we do at central defence.

The two central roles are seemingly being filled by Stephens & Pröpper at the moment with Kayal and Bissouma pushing for a place.

We also now have Webster who can play DM and Groß who has played CM many many times in Germany.

I’m really not sure if we need another midfielder numbers wise. It’ll be one in-one out.

Do you think Kayal and Bissouma are as good as Propper and Stephens? It is a tough one, because I think I prefer Kayal to Stephens, but wouldn’t want to lose Stephens. But Drinkwater is as good as either of those two, maybe a bit better.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

We're still short of that game-controlling midfield-dominating CM who gets into the box and adds a few goals. Stephens and Propper aren't bad players - they're pretty good really - but they don't scare anybody in the PL. Kayal is a step below, but excellent cover. Some people have high hopes of Bissouma being that beast of a CM that we need; again, I don't think he's quite good enough to instil terror into PL opposition.
I've every hope of those youngsters making a few appearances this season, but it's asking a lot - way too much in fact - to expect them to come in and seize midfield by the scruff of the neck and drag it to the next level - they need to be introduced alongside a CM who is doing that, not being asked to do it themselves.
Somehow I get the feeling (with no evidence or ITK whatsoever) that we won't be acquiring the required CM beast this window. However, I think we've just about got enough to scrape by for now.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Danny Drinkwater :nono:
I'm more amazed that [MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] admits to reading the Daily Mail :facepalm:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Do you think Kayal and Bissouma are as good as Propper and Stephens? It is a tough one, because I think I prefer Kayal to Stephens, but wouldn’t want to lose Stephens. But Drinkwater is as good as either of those two, maybe a bit better.

I think Bissouma is capable of being our best central midfielder and I’m hopeful that Potter will mould him into something very special but currently, he still has a little to learn yet. Partnered with Băluță in future seasons, they could form an exceptional pair. Neither are ready.

Stephens is great positionally and pretty smart defensively but hasn’t shown a great deal of attacking intent in the Premier League. Kayal seems to be more progressive and is able to do the one touch stuff more effectively but is less effective defensively. I don’t think you need Stephens with 3 centre backs so I’d swap him out for Kayal in the 3-4-3 but leave him there in the 4-2-3-1. The dilemma is that the Pröpper/Stephens partnership looked slow, unimaginative and too defensive last season. I don’t think that will change this season so something needs to happen. Pröpper really needs to step up and start affecting our attacking play.

If a Drinkwater level player comes in, then I think Stephens or Kayal would make way unless we need cash - then it would be Pröpper.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Dare I add Kayal and what about Bong

What a surprise. Another dig at Kayal. And Bong too. In response, No you cannot.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dare I add Kayal and what about Bong

We all know your views on Kayal and Bong. Just hardly anybody agrees with you. Kayal is rightly our third/fourth choice CM, and Bong is our cover at LB (and although everybody seems convinced we're going three at the back for the rest of the season, don't count on it - we still need two LBs!)

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Great news on the former.

Deeply concerning on the latter.

The last sentence concerns me.

Potter has been quoted as saying that Webster can play right back, plus if we stick with the 3 at the back formation then Solly can always move over to the right wing back position with Bernardo down the left if needed. So I guess this is why it’s not seen as a priority in GP’s eyes.

:shrug:

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
NO NO NO. This is a guy who's won the league, played for England, competed in the champion's league. Where's the hunger and desire to put everything on the line for a club of our status?

So you don’t think the need for him to rescue his career is a good enough reason to play with hunger and desire ?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Potter has been quoted as saying that Webster can play right back, plus if we stick with the 3 at the back formation then Solly can always move over to the right wing back position with Bernardo down the left if needed. So I guess this is why it’s not seen as a priority in GP’s eyes.

:shrug:

Solly has been great at LWB in preseason... would he be good at RWB? I think that is definitely TBC and a risk...

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Drinkwater is twice the player of Dale Stephens. If we signed him a midfield two of him and Propper would be excellent. Biss is excellent too, be interesting to see how this all turns out.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Solly has been great at LWB in preseason... would he be good at RWB? I think that is definitely TBC and a risk...

I’ve always felt Solly has looked a better player when playing down the right flank and looks more comfortable putting in crosses from that side. I may be wrong but I think he is naturally a right footed player but CH always liked to play his wingers on the opposite side as it enabled them to cut in. However it’s different with the RWB role as you need them getting down the line and whipping in crosses not cutting in and taking up the space of the attacking 3 players.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Drinkwater is twice the player of Dale Stephens. If we signed him a midfield two of him and Propper would be excellent. Biss is excellent too, be interesting to see how this all turns out.

What a ridiculous quote, he quite clearly isn’t twice the player Stephens is. Not even close.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a surprise. Another dig at Kayal. And Bong too. In response, No you cannot.

You are so blinkered. It is not a dig at either but considering what both have done for us to let them leave to play regular football as a thank you as I do not see either playing much for us. Kayal will be behind Stephens Propper Gross and Bissouma possibly even Richards and Baluta. Bong will be behind Match., Bernardo so perhaps the most likely to get a look in depending on if we abandon back 3.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here