Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion posts losses of £14.7m

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
As I understand Buying a player doesn't make the books look bad.

The money is sometimes paid in stages but the players value goes on the books as an asset.

losses come form running costs wages and losing money on players, in our case its presumably the cost of running the Amex. A few space cadets on here think that when they see a full ground and a few pies being sold they club is raking it in.

From what I see of football clubs its the wage bill thats the biggest problem, a big squad with players earning 20-40k a week needs a lot of money coming in to avoid a big loss.

I think a few clubs are going for promotion now to try and get hold of hard cash into their books asap. I hope its the stadium and training ground costs thats showing in those losses and that next season the figure comes down.

Thank you, that's cleared a few things up. I think the training ground and stadium expansion, from what I understand will be a huge factor

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Loads here I don't understand, I do get that a lot of the debt is depreciation and part is paying off staff redundancy.

What I don't get is where are we getting the money from, TB surely isn't covering the debt year on year, how much do we owe the bank?

If football clubs were High Street business' they would have the plug pulled, why are football clubs so different?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
1.2M INCREASE in admin costs? Is Paul Barber on 1.5M a year for cutting the admin costs by 300k?

In all seriousness I know we are 'bringing forward' losses so we meet targets over the next few years but don't exactly get all the finer points of this accountancy. Trust those at our club though for now

Bringing forward losses refers to not paying tax on profits you make in future years - Any losses made this year don't get written off they get carried forward so unless TB personally writes them off (i'm not sure he can do that under ffp over £8m ) they will be there in the next books

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Loads here I don't understand, I do get that a lot of the debt is depreciation and part is paying off staff redundancy.

What I don't get is where are we getting the money from, TB surely isn't covering the debt year on year, how much do we owe the bank?

If football clubs were High Street business' they would have the plug pulled, why are football clubs so different?

TB is covering everything. Football clubs have an emotional relationship with their customers, in a way that we don't have with O2 or Waitrose.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Clubs are different because they have goodwill in the form of fans, High street businesses only have goodwill in the form of customers who buy their goods and if customers don't like the goods the business sells they go elsewhere. Unless you are a gloryhunting Man U or Arsenal fan most fans keep buying the goods even when its rubbish. - you can't get better goodwill than that and its very valuable

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Nothing wrong here that a couple £4-6 million strikers and a timely purchase of the club by a Russian petro-spiv (or a dodgy oil sheik, I'm open-minded) can't fix.

Oh, and an ENGLISH manager, TIRED and TESTED, and committed to playing 442.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thanks for that. Surely the next and main question is how long can TB sustain banking rolling our club?

From his personal wealth basically as long as he lives, he's one wealthy chap, it's honestly a drop in the ocean to him. Having said that as EP posted why should he? The club should, by being well run, be able to manage its costs but as we are all to aware in football this appears fantasy. Mr Bloom stated he wanted to pass the club over to his son in years to come lets hope he passes him some of his dosh as well!

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

Not spending money on proven goal scoring strikers and penny pinching on 3rd division Barnes and mcSmudger along with letting our leading goal scorer go to the scum for the sake of a couple of grand a week while breaking the bank on the white elephant was a massive mistake.2nd division football will never cover the running costs of the Amex and a squad good enough for promotion.With the inevitable drop in season ticket sales next season the losses will only go up.If FFP is enforced we could easily follow in Coventrys footsteps:albion2:

Last edited:

At least another 15-20 years, but the question should perhaps be WHY should he do so?
The question in my mind is WHEN is he planning the push for promotion? And by that I mean when is he REALLY planning the push for promotion? - NOT what has he said at fans' forums?

Maybe there's a medium term plan that he's keeping to himself? Bear in mind that he's a rather secretive man.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
The question in my mind is WHEN is he planning the push for promotion? And by that I mean when is he REALLY planning the push for promotion? - NOT what has he said at fans' forums?

Maybe there's a medium term plan that he's keeping to himself? Bear in mind that he's a rather secretive man.

I worry that his business nature means we have lost a lot of investors who would be willing to splash cash and not be part of the structure nor stature of the club...does Bloom want to do in his own terms and not what's best for the club?

Sorry if that sounds abusive to TB, just something that's crossed my mind!

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012
Indeed. I'd be quite tempted to. The Albion have gone beyond what I want from supporting a club.

I thought I would be a permanent fixture of Amex, but the whole thing doesn't make me excited anymore. Do I want to pay top dollar to offset a loss, a loss that is making 30 odd players exceedingly rich (in relative terms) for a minimum output?

Do I want to contribute to the wages of say, Ryan Harley (or others), who clearly couldn't be bothered. It's not even about effort. You could argue that footballers create an economy and money is spent all over the place as a result, but do I feel comfortable contributing and giving Average Joe Striker a charmed existence because he can kick a ball around for 90 minutes every week?

I know there are lots of arguments entailed in that. Tennis players, film stars, bankers and so on, but it feels as though the mediocre are being rewarded. Why does YaYa (the real one, not Ince) need £300k a week after tax? What good reason does he need that?

Piss off then. Some supporter you are!!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I worry that his business nature means we have lost a lot of investors who would be willing to splash cash and not be part of the structure nor stature of the club...does Bloom want to do in his own terms and not what's best for the club?

Sorry if that sounds abusive to TB, just something that's crossed my mind!
Not really abusive, just complete nonsense...!

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012
From his personal wealth basically as long as he lives, he's one wealthy chap, it's honestly a drop in the ocean to him. Having said that as EP posted why should he? The club should, by being well run, be able to manage its costs but as we are all to aware in football this appears fantasy. Mr Bloom stated he wanted to pass the club over to his son in years to come lets hope he passes him some of his dosh as well!

You sure, how much is he worth then? He is no Richard Branson but I have no idea of his worth

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
TB is covering everything. Football clubs have an emotional relationship with their customers, in a way that we don't have with O2 or Waitrose.

Do you have any estimation of how much TB has put into the club to date? Seems to be it must be near to £200mil if not already beyond that.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You sure, how much is he worth then? He is no Richard Branson but I have no idea of his worth
Comfortably £1bn (£1,000,000,000) "net worth".

Anything less doesn't make sense. He has allocated at least £200m cash to his Albion hobby.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

What he said at the fans forum was:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10589607.Bloom_wants_Albion_to_be_challenging_again/

Bloom told fans at a forum at The Amex last night: "We aim to get to the Premiership. It's a very competitive division as we know and every season at the start of the season we've got to try and have the squad we think is capable of promotion. I certainly think this season we have that.

"You can get a few bad injuries, a few bad games, we can be just outside the play-offs, we could get a bit of luck and finish in the top two, but I think if we finish in the top six we've got to be happy and if we are in the play-offs again hopefully we'll get a bit of luck.

"But it's very difficult to say. Outside the play-offs we're not going to be happy but at the end of the day we try to be competitive so that we have a reasonable chance of promotion every season we are in the Championship."​

Which reads to me as if he doesn't actually plan on a special push for promotion, he wants a team that is regularly challenging for the top six. With a bit of luck we might get more, or we might have some bad luck and fall short, but to be the sort of team that is regularly in the mix seems to be his aim (in the short to medium term).

This would probably be wise, as I think we're more likely to get promoted by regularly challenging for the play offs than you are if you give it all for one particular season (giving it all means predicting which season gives you the best chance, bringing in lots of top talent and expecting them to settle, gel, and produce, whereas regularly challenging gives players a chance to settle in, gives the club a chance to tweak and make changes gradually and makes the acclimatising of new players smoother).

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
What he said at the fans forum was:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10589607.Bloom_wants_Albion_to_be_challenging_again/

Bloom told fans at a forum at The Amex last night: "We aim to get to the Premiership. It's a very competitive division as we know and every season at the start of the season we've got to try and have the squad we think is capable of promotion. I certainly think this season we have that.

"You can get a few bad injuries, a few bad games, we can be just outside the play-offs, we could get a bit of luck and finish in the top two, but I think if we finish in the top six we've got to be happy and if we are in the play-offs again hopefully we'll get a bit of luck.

"But it's very difficult to say. Outside the play-offs we're not going to be happy but at the end of the day we try to be competitive so that we have a reasonable chance of promotion every season we are in the Championship."​

Which reads to me as if he doesn't actually plan on a special push for promotion, he wants a team that is regularly challenging for the top six. With a bit of luck we might get more, or we might have some bad luck and fall short, but to be the sort of team that is regularly in the mix seems to be his aim (in the short to medium term).

This would probably be wise, as I think we're more likely to get promoted by regularly challenging for the play offs than you are if you give it all for one particular season (giving it all means predicting which season gives you the best chance, bringing in lots of top talent and expecting them to settle, gel, and produce, whereas regularly challenging gives players a chance to settle in, gives the club a chance to tweak and make changes gradually and makes the acclimatising of new players smoother).

The club confirned lack of ambition for promotion when they did not sign Bridge for this season, he wanted to stay.The Pole in goal will not be with us next season which will be a massive blow,letting ElAbd go was ridiculous he should have been captain he is far more committed and a far better player than the sweaty sock.:albion2:

Last edited:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Comfortably £1bn (£1,000,000,000) "net worth".

Anything less doesn't make sense. He has allocated at least £200m cash to his Albion hobby.

Do you have any proof of this or is this just a wild guess?

In 2012 four four two only had TB's worth at £50M after investing £80M in the club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here