Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is relegation that bad a thing

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I definitely want us to stay up, but have some very fond memories of years gone by of visiting such outposts as Rochdale, Oldham, Shrewsbury, Peterborough, Aldershot, Bristol Rovers and many others. Used to be able just to turn up, sit where you liked and have a good laugh with the locals.
Happy days!

I realise the odds of bouncing straight back are long, the Championship is very competitive. I wouldn’t be hung up on that one jot. I would just hope that we’re competive and have a genuine chance of a win in all 46 games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Some good analogies and points made by the writer. But we know the standard of our players far better than him. That mid table position was false, we had gained some unlikely wins when completely outplayed, with the chronic lack of pace/creativity/goals finally coming to the fore. We’ve been found out.

Perhaps CP and Newcastle were too in the seasons mentioned.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
When did Barber make out that our team was Premier League ready?

Back in 2016 he as questioned

Is the club ‘Premier League ready’ in the event that we are promoted?
Largely, yes, but we would still have a lot of work to do to satisfy all the requirements set by The Premier League. This involves upgrading a whole list of areas, including media facilities and our floodlights, to name just two items from a long list that changes, and becomes more demanding in the pursuit of even higher standards and better facilities, season after season!

No mention of the team in this response but isn’t it a given that being ready to compete is a prerequisite? Maybe that was the problem - being focussed on having everything premier league ready except for the team.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Can't say I enjoy being the whipping boys of the Premier League. Much prefer the Championship, it's just more... fun. When I go to matches I like to be entertained - celebrate the goals and the wins. Looking back at this season, apart from Man U at home and the Palace games the enjoyment has been a bit thin on the ground.

Somehow the target of winning promotion to the prem is far more exciting than actually being there.

Ultimately most of us support the team whatever division they are in but if I had to choose I would prefer the Championship.

Exactly how I feel. Just a shame the economics in football these days make being in the top division almost imperative

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Back in 2016 he as questioned

Is the club ‘Premier League ready’ in the event that we are promoted?
Largely, yes, but we would still have a lot of work to do to satisfy all the requirements set by The Premier League. This involves upgrading a whole list of areas, including media facilities and our floodlights, to name just two items from a long list that changes, and becomes more demanding in the pursuit of even higher standards and better facilities, season after season!

No mention of the team in this response but isn’t it a given that being ready to compete is a prerequisite? Maybe that was the problem - being focussed on having everything premier league ready except for the team.

Management of all the non playing stuff is literally Barber’s job though. I think it’s best that we leave him to do what he’s good at (although he does have a coaching badge apparently) and let the coaching and recruitment staff concentrate on the team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If every season has to be angsty negative football trying to get a big pay day by finishing fourth bottom I’ll probably put up with about three more seasons before trying something more interesting, like crocheting. Shit or get off the pot. 46 interesting games a season in the Championship. In the Premier League, not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Management of all the non playing stuff is literally Barber’s job though. I think it’s best that we leave him to do what he’s good at (although he does have a coaching badge apparently) and let the coaching and recruitment staff concentrate on the team.

Not blaming PB for our PL recruiting, but the club have said before that recruitment decisions are exclusively discussed and made by the quartet of TB/PB/CH/PW.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not blaming PB for our PL recruiting, but the club have said before that recruitment decisions are exclusively discussed and made by the quartet of TB/PB/CH/PW.

Your right; Barber does have an input into the finances and contracts of the transfers. However, when asked whether or not the club is Premier League ready before we’ve been promoted, you can hardly expect him to say that the players currently trying to achieve that promotion will need to be replaced.

Besides, we were a Premier League ready team. 40 points,15th place and mathematically safe with 2 games to go is a very respectable first season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Your right; Barber does have an input into the finances and contracts of the transfers. However, when asked whether or not the club is Premier League ready before we’ve been promoted, you can hardly expect him to say that the players currently trying to achieve that promotion will need to be replaced.

Besides, we were a Premier League ready team. 40 points,15th place and mathematically safe with 2 games to go is a very respectable first season.

It was a very good season, happy and ever distant memories. Second lowest budget, but achieved 15th, deservedly staying up.

But has gone awry since, possibly because:
a) With more match exposure, after say 16 months in the PL, opposition coaches and their analytics teams have well and truly worked out our limitations and weaknesses.
b) A failure to invest in the first team in pace, quality in ACM and pace up front. Rather than a numbers game of players for the future and to cover injuries.

Would love TB to have a PL chance this summer in putting that right.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
After feeling incredibly pissed off for weeks, culminating in Tuesday night, I have now managed to rationalise things in my own mind to prepare for relegation.

It hasn't been enjoyable since December. I don't want to watch another season of both negative, poor displays and bad results.

Even if we fluked staying up because Cardiff are even worse, we would definitely go down next season after another season of the same.

So with the team in its current state I'd rather be in the Championship, which is also a great league, and see some more positive football because we are less scared of the opposition, and get some wins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here