Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Bluebells, are they out yet?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I went to Abbots' Wood near Arlington today. The bluebells aren't out yet, but the primroses and wood anemones are.

This is correct, i drove through Arlington yesterday and there are a few just popping up in Abbotts Wood which you could see from the road..
We usually take a walk through Bates Farm Bluebell Trail each year before lunching in the Old Oak Inn. Leave it a couple of weeks
and it will be carpeted with bluebells.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you planted dry bulbs in the autumn, they don't tend to take so well as ones planted "In the green," which is to dig clumps up whilst in flower or shortly after they've flowered, split them up and re-plant them. If it was the former, the bulbs may not have been quite big or old enough to flower this year? You should get a better show year on year as the seeds get going. They take at least four years to reach the flowering stage. Your soil could also well be a factor with what you say. If they are in a hot part of the garden getting baked, you could move them to a shady area after they've finished flowering?

Cheers [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION], again!!

I delilberately planted them in semi shaded or shaded parts of the garden, along with Snowdrops and Snakes Head Frittilary, spaced properly and at the correct depths. Yes they were all dry bulbs. I'll make sure the soil from now on doesn't entirely dry out, and be patient.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
hoping to see Bluebells next Easter Sunday or Monday near Arundel
(after an awayday at Wolves)
2 Questions : anyone know where exactly ? and are they out yet ?

A good show at stamner Park :moo:

Attachments

• IMG_20190420_110413_418.jpg
    IMG_20190420_110413_418.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 59

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Off to Arlington today to seek out the Bluebells

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here