Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Assuming we survive, is CH the right man for 19/20?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Also I don't see Watford spending shit loads every year and they seem to make a decent fist of it AND they survive a regular managerial merry go round. So it CAN be done.

They have a head coach at Watford, don't they? The set-up is established and consistent regardless of who's in that position.

We could be heading that way given the Dan Ashworth appointment...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The simple quiestion to ask is if not Chris then who could we attract who would do a better job on a shoestring budget (in PL terms) and one of the lowest wage bills?

Big Sam?? Possibly
Davey Moyes? Would he come?
Darren Moore?? Half a chance
Dave Wagner? Done a great job at Huddersfield, but is he a broken man?
Mark Hughes? Been there, done it

It's not a huge list and there are question marks over several candidates, better the devil you know for me.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
OK I've tried to collect statistics but failed miserably, but I think we have had more possession, chances and shots on target this season than last. Is that not *progress*?

Stats are on post 223 - :)

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The simple quiestion to ask is if not Chris then who could we attract who would do a better job on a shoestring budget (in PL terms) and one of the lowest wage bills?

Big Sam?? Possibly
Davey Moyes? Would he come?
Darren Moore?? Half a chance
Dave Wagner? Done a great job at Huddersfield, but is he a broken man?
Mark Hughes? Been there, done it

It's not a huge list and there are question marks over several candidates, better the devil you know for me.

A dire list. I wouldn't want any of those managers. But it's an "academic" discussion. Even if we go down ( we won't) Chris Hughton will be here next season.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
You know, managers used to be given 3 years to build a team, now because of the financial implications they are lucky if they get one, yet the clubs that stick with their managers tend to have more success than those that dont.

In Hughton's case, his first 3 years are an outstanding success but the clock has to be reset after promotion to the premier league, we have to build a team that can compete at this level, he is coming up to the end of his second year at this level and as things stand, is bang on target.

This summer will see further evolvement to the team and the squad, it's no use bringing in someone with a different philosophy who will undo all the hard work that has been done, you can't change the whole set up overnight, Fulham are proof of this. So lets see where we are at this time next season, i would expect improvement, i'll bet Chris Hughton and Tony Bloom would too, if there is none, then perhaps it will be the case that Hughton has taken us as far as he can, but imho we should remember how far we have come in a very short space of time.

So yes, he stays for next season in my opinion, we are NOT an established premier league team yet, that is still the criteria and i would trust the current set up to deliver that, then and only then can we look to push on and perhaps be considered mid table also rans.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], any chance please of a table of estimated payrolls costs by club, for PL 2018/19?

I have a feeling we might be dining in the bottom group, giving rise to a team/squad that understandably struggles in most matches.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], any chance please of a table of estimated payrolls costs by club, for PL 2018/19?

I have a feeling we might be dining in the bottom group, giving rise to a team/squad that understandably struggles in most matches.

Don't have figures for 18/19 but here are the ones for the most recent season. The Albion had the second lowest wage bill and second lowest transfer fee amortisation cost in the division last year, and the research shows these metrics give the closest correlation over the long term in terms of final league position.

It's clear that Tony Bloom lacks ambition and can't take the club any further and we need someone like Shahid Khan at Fulham to come in and spend £120 million on players over the summer and have a successful season like they have.

When I talk to some fans of other clubs in similar positions (Burnley, Huddersfield, Stoke and even Palace) they all say the same, the football is turgid, no ambition by owners to spend the £3-400 million on new players needed to take the club to the next level and they're fed up watching the same old stuff with the occasional turning over of Big Six clubs and the rest of the season is a grind trying to avoid relegation.

I'm sure if the Albion 'went for it' under an exciting new manager and we were relegated then NSC would happily have a whip round to underwrite the £400,000 a week losses that are the average in the Championship.

#BloomOut
#BarberOut
#HughtonOut
#AshworthOut
#SackTheBoard

Premier League 2018 Wages.png

Premier League 2018 Amortisation.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't have figures for 18/19 but here are the ones for the most recent season. The Albion had the second lowest wage bill and second lowest transfer fee amortisation cost in the division last year, and the research shows these metrics give the closest correlation over the long term in terms of final league position.

It's clear that Tony Bloom lacks ambition and can't take the club any further and we need someone like Shahid Khan at Fulham to come in and spend £120 million on players over the summer and have a successful season like they have.

When I talk to some fans of other clubs in similar positions (Burnley, Huddersfield, Stoke and even Palace) they all say the same, the football is turgid, no ambition by owners to spend the £3-400 million on new players needed to take the club to the next level and they're fed up watching the same old stuff with the occasional turning over of Big Six clubs and the rest of the season is a grind trying to avoid relegation.

I'm sure if the Albion 'went for it' under an exciting new manager and we were relegated then NSC would happily have a whip round to underwrite the £400,000 a week losses that are the average in the Championship.

#BloomOut
#BarberOut
#HughtonOut
#AshworthOut
#SackTheBoard

View attachment 107129

View attachment 107131

Cheers @El Pres.

My 'angle' wasn't an anti TB or PB one, instead the exact opposite. They will always have my support.

We're relatively low investors in the playing side (by PL standards), so it's no surprise that we've been heavily involved in the 2017/18 and 2018/19 relegation mixes.

TB is trying to run the club sustainably and within FFP.

Which to me also justifies CH's results .... we haven't done a Wolves, Palace, West Ham or Leicester, buying/borrowing a squad to gain mid table safety.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here