Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Electric bikes

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We've had cars, now it's bikes turn, although this'll be a considerably shorter thread.

The Stat's had their longest ever family ride today, 20+ wind assisted miles along the coast to Brighton.

I'll forgo the much needed moan concerning a lack of anywhere safe to cycle from Shoreham bridge to Portslade, and concentrate on the lecky bike phenomenon.

I must have seen at least 20 of them while out, covering a wide range of brands, all of them looked to be traveling very easily, esp those riding against the wind.

Naturally they're not for me, but it was pleasing to see so many people benefiting from a little assistance, it would seem they're not a mode of transport to be pooh-poohed and might be worth considering if you like the idea of cycling but not the effort.

I had a mate that sold leccy bikes under his own brand in Spain. He had one at his Camden flat when I lived there and I gave it a go. Loved it.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
They are not illegal if they have passed similar construction standards to petrol motor scooters. I presume your's hasn't, and if you are using it on a public road then you are driving without insurance. If you don't have a motorcycle licence, then you risk losing your car licence which you probably won't be able to afford after seeing your premiums rocket, plus the fines for having no MoT or correct specification helmet. Not to mention the RFL, still required even if it's free.

It's not a sit-down scooter, more a stand-up adult version of a normal scooter (that one 'scoots' along), but with a small battery fitted, just as an e-bike does.
No idea why it needs to be compared to a petrol scooter/moped?
And the Law needs to change to give them the same 'freedoms' that riders of e-bikes have - ie no need for insurance, no compulsory wearing of helmets, etc.
OR, the Law needs to change to make riders of ALL e-transport face the same regulations.
My scooter is limited to 15mph and I wouldn't wish it to go faster - it's not a race, I just want to travel at a respectable speed, with the same consideration to pedestrians/other road users that responsible e-bike/normal bike/car drivers etc. should use.
As usual, the UK is lagging behind other countries who embrace this kind of transportation. There will always be idiots who cause problems, just as there are idiots who cause problems with 'analogue' bikes (love that! ), skateboards, roller blades etc.
The thinking should not be 'ban them', but lets find a way of making sensible regulations for those who choose (and enjoy) using them.
There's room for all out there, after all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
We've had cars, now it's bikes turn, although this'll be a considerably shorter thread.

The Stat's had their longest ever family ride today, 20+ wind assisted miles along the coast to Brighton.

I'll forgo the much needed moan concerning a lack of anywhere safe to cycle from Shoreham bridge to Portslade, and concentrate on the lecky bike phenomenon.

I must have seen at least 20 of them while out, covering a wide range of brands, all of them looked to be traveling very easily, esp those riding against the wind.

Naturally they're not for me, but it was pleasing to see so many people benefiting from a little assistance, it would seem they're not a mode of transport to be pooh-poohed and might be worth considering if you like the idea of cycling but not the effort.

Middle Road to Southwick, over the locks to Carat's Cafe and along Basin Road to Hove Lagoon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd like to see a few lycra-clad speed merchants thrown into the mix there. I'm not sure it would all work out quite so well.
The lycra clad speed merchant in blue seemed to fit in well.

It's not as if Groningen doesn't have it's fair share of nutters on 2 (3 or 4) wheels

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Middle Road to Southwick, over the locks to Carat's Cafe and along Basin Road to Hove Lagoon.

We came off the bridge and stayed on the A279 past McD's & TP.

Then turned right at a sign just before a pedestrian crossing. (having gone to the crossing in order to do that safely)
That weaved us through some dubious light industrial areas.
Onto a grassy section in front of the power station.
That then took us back out onto the A279, making that faff all a bit pointless.
I then noted we could have possibly dropped down the side road at Portslade, but wasn't sure.
Eventually ending up at Hove Lagoon (realising we could have taken the side road at the previous junction).

Not exactly ideal, esp as we'd ridden from Durrington/West Worthing to Shoreham away from fast moving traffic.
Then from Hove lagoon to the Pier equally safely.

Prior to Durrington we'd ridden about 4-5 miles mixing cycle path and road.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Electric bikes? Total no-brainer. Soon everyone will have one except a rump of lycra clad, shaven, full kit racer boys who still think they're in the Tour de France every time they go out on their old fashioned machines and who just can't get used to hairy 80 year olds overtaking them on steep hills whistling as they glide effortlessly past.

That tiddler is more escargot than cargo.

Screenshot_20190822-111315.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Electric bikes? Total no-brainer. Soon everyone will have one except a rump of lycra clad, shaven, full kit racer boys who still think they're in the Tour de France every time they go out on their old fashioned machines and who just can't get used to hairy 80 year olds overtaking them on steep hills whistling as they glide effortlessly past.

I hope you're right.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's not a sit-down scooter, more a stand-up adult version of a normal scooter (that one 'scoots' along), but with a small battery fitted, just as an e-bike does.
No idea why it needs to be compared to a petrol scooter/moped?
And the Law needs to change to give them the same 'freedoms' that riders of e-bikes have - ie no need for insurance, no compulsory wearing of helmets, etc.
OR, the Law needs to change to make riders of ALL e-transport face the same regulations.
My scooter is limited to 15mph and I wouldn't wish it to go faster - it's not a race, I just want to travel at a respectable speed, with the same consideration to pedestrians/other road users that responsible e-bike/normal bike/car drivers etc. should use.
As usual, the UK is lagging behind other countries who embrace this kind of transportation. There will always be idiots who cause problems, just as there are idiots who cause problems with 'analogue' bikes (love that! ), skateboards, roller blades etc.
The thinking should not be 'ban them', but lets find a way of making sensible regulations for those who choose (and enjoy) using them.
There's room for all out there, after all.

Damn good fun aren't they. Surprising how fast 15mph feels on an electric scooter.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I have the Gtec sport..and yes the battery looks like a water bottle. Although I am pleased with and it only cost me £500 second hand ( but not used) I would get an Ebike with gears as the Gtec doesnt have any.

The city and sport dont have gears but the have a mountain bike which does, the Escent

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
We came off the bridge and stayed on the A279 past McD's & TP.

Then turned right at a sign just before a pedestrian crossing. (having gone to the crossing in order to do that safely)
That weaved us through some dubious light industrial areas.
Onto a grassy section in front of the power station.
That then took us back out onto the A279, making that faff all a bit pointless.
I then noted we could have possibly dropped down the side road at Portslade, but wasn't sure.
Eventually ending up at Hove Lagoon (realising we could have taken the side road at the previous junction).

Not exactly ideal, esp as we'd ridden from Durrington/West Worthing to Shoreham away from fast moving traffic.
Then from Hove lagoon to the Pier equally safely.

Prior to Durrington we'd ridden about 4-5 miles mixing cycle path and road.

Well, you'll know next time.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/5...0x48759a61e23f1937:0x20076e6624f0593e!1m0!3e1

Last edited:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Damn good fun aren't they. Surprising how fast 15mph feels on an electric scooter.

They're excellent, and I love the control you have even at sub-walking speed, as well as the just 'stepping off' and straight into walking. You're right about how fast it feels at 15mph - I wouldn't dream of doing the 30mph (or more!) that some can do...madness.
I absolutely love using it, and I'm convinced that they will become more accepted as time goes on. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Saw an idiot on an electric scooter hit a grit bin whilst on his fone this morning.:rotlf::rotlf::rotlf:Would have been perfect for 'You've Been Framed',but the kids had gone into school,and I was laughing too much to film it.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I've got two ebikes and love them both, given the choice of taking the car or one of the bikes the latter wins every time.

One of my bikes is a Sondors fat tyred bike it is legal with a 250w motor and is restricted to 25kph, it is awesome to look at and great fun to ride over many varying terrains, it does have deraillier gears but to be honest i rarely use them.

My other is a btwin mtb and is totally illegal, i fitted a kit myself which is a 1500w motor with a 48v battery and has a thumb throttle so no need to pedal at all, i do live at the top of a mountain and this bike makes life so much easier for me, i spent two years in a wheelchair due to some pretty serious back problems and pedalling for longer than about 5 minutes leaves me in pain for days. So this one is my preffered choice, legal or not, tbh the police around here have seen me on it plenty of times and have never batted an eyelid, they either dont know what they are looking at or are simply not bothered. I don't (usually :lol: ) ride like a pillock, even though the bike will comfortably sit at speeds of over 45kph on the flat if i want to.

D

Deleted member 2719

I've got two ebikes and love them both, given the choice of taking the car or one of the bikes the latter wins every time.

One of my bikes is a Sondors fat tyred bike it is legal with a 250w motor and is restricted to 25kph, it is awesome to look at and great fun to ride over many varying terrains, it does have deraillier gears but to be honest i rarely use them.

My other is a btwin mtb and is totally illegal, i fitted a kit myself which is a 1500w motor with a 48v battery and has a thumb throttle so no need to pedal at all, i do live at the top of a mountain and this bike makes life so much easier for me, i spent two years in a wheelchair due to some pretty serious back problems and pedalling for longer than about 5 minutes leaves me in pain for days. So this one is my preffered choice, legal or not, tbh the police around here have seen me on it plenty of times and have never batted an eyelid, they either dont know what they are looking at or are simply not bothered. I don't (usually :lol: ) ride like a pillock, even though the bike will comfortably sit at speeds of over 45kph on the flat if i want to.

Lookout you will have the Boris police squad after you.

Perhaps not they only have one focus on people that break the law, anyone with blonde hair that went to Eton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here