Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Electric bikes

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So your current bike is digital? :lolol:

It's a brilliant description. I love it! :lol:

I've only ever ridden analogue myself, but am all for the idea of anyone going fully velo digital if it works for them :thumbs up:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I cycle to work twice a week, around 8 miles each way along beautiful country lanes. I am either going steeply uphill using my turbo assist, or heavy on my brakes coming down again. There's a little bit of flat, but not much (see below).

I did this once on my old bike. It took around an hour - taking nearly half-an-hour to get up the first hill on the way home, where I had to stop about four times, and push quite a lot of the way. This hill now takes me six minutes. When I did it on my push-bike, I had to have a shower, a drink, and a bit of a rest at the office before starting work. Now, I change my t-shirt (although not entirely necessary, and at this time of year I don't have to at all), and stroll in.

Absolutely fantastic invention. I had basically given up cycling because every route out from here is hills - and now I'm back using my bike regularly. You do still need effort, but it takes all the pain away. I just wouldn't be cycling to work (or anywhere else really) without it. I'm fitter, and happier.

View attachment 114443 My route.

View attachment 114445 The view along it!

Looks fairly similar to my commute. If you did it on a normal bike for a couple of weeks you'd soon get used to it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have an electric scooter, which are still illegal to use anywhere but private land (of course, that's the only place I use it...cough). I just wonder why e-bikes are deemed safe/legal, yet scooters are not? I have permanent fixed front/rear lights, indicators, can travel safely (and slowly, without wobbling), adhere to traffic signs etc.
What's the difference?
Just curious.
Reason being, I am unable to cycle/walk far, without pain, and have no storage space for a bike, so it's an ideal way for me to get around. Surely they should be encouraged as a form of (relatively) green transport?

Hopefully just about to take a loan of a electric scooter as my son won't use it due to confiscation risk at the moment. Yet must be better than me getting the car out for a bit of local shopping.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Looks fairly similar to my commute. If you did it on a normal bike for a couple of weeks you'd soon get used to it.

From the Guardian about this hill. We're not all super-fit (anymore), and my knees really aren't what they are. Electric bikes are perfect for me. My neighbour is an extremely keen mountain-biker, taking part in races and long training rides. Even he's not keen on this one!

"Oh, the shame. I am tackling my first hill on an electric bicycle and I seriously think I may have to get off and push. To be fair, the relentless climb known as Bigland Hill is a whopper, one of the most challenging sections of the 152-mile Walney-to-Wear (W2W) cycle route. Without battery power I'm not sure I'd even want to walk up it, let alone cycle. But the point of electric bikes is to tackle otherwise-daunting terrain, and I've brought one to Cumbria's Cartmel peninsula to see what it can do."

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I love my electric Bike which these days I only use for pleasure but it definitely keeps me cycling when the weather is less than ideal and when the mood takes me I will use only mussel power safe in the knowledge that should I over do it an easier ride back is assumed

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
They are not illegal if they have passed similar construction standards to petrol motor scooters. I presume your's hasn't, and if you are using it on a public road then you are driving without insurance. If you don't have a motorcycle licence, then you risk losing your car licence which you probably won't be able to afford after seeing your premiums rocket, plus the fines for having no MoT or correct specification helmet. Not to mention the RFL, still required even if it's free.

Forgive the ignorance but why are they treated differently to electric bikes (or non-electric for that matter)? I dont understand - I dont need insurance to ride my bike, why do I need it to ride a scooter?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We've got a motorhome and vowed from the start that we would never tow a car, so started off with normal bikes 6 years ago, but progressed about a year ago to electric bikes. They are great - Raleigh with Bosch batteries. You don't have to use the electric if you don't want to, so on a normal flat road/path, I normally don't, but it means you can tackle hills comfortably. We were in Cornwall last week and cycled from our camp-site (Veryan) to Mevagissey - 9 miles no problem. The navigator wife said we would not go back the same way and it would be shorter, and it ended up being 17 miles! But we both thoroughly enjoyed it and managed it easily, the only drawback being the pain of sitting on the saddle for too long.

They are also heavier than normal bikes, so my wife, who is a less confident cyclist than me, feels a lot safer and steadier on it. One of the best things we have done.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I have an electric scooter, which are still illegal to use anywhere but private land (of course, that's the only place I use it...cough). I just wonder why e-bikes are deemed safe/legal, yet scooters are not? I have permanent fixed front/rear lights, indicators, can travel safely (and slowly, without wobbling), adhere to traffic signs etc.
What's the difference?
Just curious.
Reason being, I am unable to cycle/walk far, without pain, and have no storage space for a bike, so it's an ideal way for me to get around. Surely they should be encouraged as a form of (relatively) green transport?

EScooter.jpg

Attachments

• 20190729_210646.jpg
    20190729_210646.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 220

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
I have a top end Scott MTB but use conventional MTB as much as possible as electric bike is not as fullfililling, I still feel a bit of a cheat, but it's a great transition in my latter years and still able to join the longer day rides with my friends. PS they weigh a ton when having to lift over fences etc

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
They're pretty common over here. I got a Bridgestone one for the missus to get around the neighbourhood, it has 2 child seats on it and is pretty damn heavy even without the kids on it but as soon as you push the peddles it rides very lightly. A really handy alternative to the car for the local area.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
all of them looked to be traveling very easily, esp those riding against the wind.

Naturally they're not for me, but it was pleasing to see so many people benefiting from a little assistance, it would seem they're not a mode of transport to be pooh-poohed and might be worth considering if you like the idea of cycling but not the effort.

I can catagorically say that riding into the wind is still an absolute 'mare, even with the assistance. I rode the bike into work last night and managed 10mph downhill to Ovingdean because of the headwind. Instead of sub 35 minutes as would normally be the case it took over 40 last night, 33 on the way back this morning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can catagorically say that riding into the wind is still an absolute 'mare, even with the assistance. I rode the bike into work last night and managed 10mph downhill to Ovingdean because of the headwind. Instead of sub 35 minutes as would normally be the case it took over 40 last night, 33 on the way back this morning.

My analogue commute has me going 12 miles west, so that's usually into a headwind but as it's early it's not usually so bad. I then spend the rest of the day looking at a flag so I can have a nice armchair ride home.

Well I'm pleased this thread didn't instantly die the death I was expecting and has been very positive.

I'd imagine over the next 3-5 years this market will be massive with loads of advances in weight, battery life and most importantly price.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I was in France a few weeks ago and was shocked as nearly every other bike was electric, we seem to be slow on the uptake here...or as my mate said UK cyclist can be a bit snobby.

I bough a second hand gtec spots bike and love the going up hills bit, but not having any gears I find it frustrating that when on a flat or slight decline I cant go any faster. So now I need to convince Mrs Loz that we really need to add an electric mountain / hi bred to my non electric road bike, gravel bike and hi bred...as I say to her the only thing a man wants more than 4 bikes is 5 bikes !!

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
My analogue commute has me going 12 miles west, so that's usually into a headwind but as it's early it's not usually so bad. I then spend the rest of the day looking at a flag so I can have a nice armchair ride home.

Well I'm pleased this thread didn't instantly die the death I was expecting and has been very positive.

I'd imagine over the next 3-5 years this market will be massive with loads of advances in weight, battery life and most importantly price.

Specialized have said their aim is to have a full suspension EMTB around the 15Kg mark in the not to distant future, with modern motors that have no drag above the 15.5mph limit for assistance i can see the future being very bright for E-bikes.

If you haven't already seen it have a look at Specialized's Creo range, over £10k for the S-Works version but I'm in love with the paint job.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
They are not illegal if t:)ut insurance. If you don't have a motorcycle licence, then you risk losing your car licence which you probably won't be able to afford after seeing your premiums rocket, plus the fines for having no MoT or correct specification helmet. Not to mention the RFL, still required even if it's free.

wrong sort of scooter

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
They are not illegal if t:)ut insurance. If you don't have a motorcycle licence, then you risk losing your car licence which you probably won't be able to afford after seeing your premiums rocket, plus the fines for having no MoT or correct specification helmet. Not to mention the RFL, still required even if it's free.

wrong sort of scooter :)

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here