Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I don't like football any more.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I personally don’t like this pursuit of perfection (in terms of refereeing accuracy) without any consideration for the consequences. I mean, you can have plastic surgery to improve how you look but does that make you a better person overall?

The massive downside is that it removes spontinaity from the game. My routine has always been: goal goes in, glance at lino, flag stays down, go mental. You just can’t do that anymore through fear that you’ll end up disappointed (see Man City fans in the Champions League second leg).

At the very least, there needs to be a question mark raised within 5 seconds of a goal going in and if it doesn’t come, the goal should count regardless. They don’t necessarily need to make a decision in that time, but at least make fans and players aware that they’re looking into something.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I personally don’t like this pursuit of perfection (in terms of refereeing accuracy) without any consideration for the consequences. I mean, you can have plastic surgery to improve how you look but does that make you a better person overall?

The massive downside is that it removes spontinaity from the game. My routine has always been: goal goes in, glance at lino, flag stays down, go mental. You just can’t do that anymore through fear that you’ll end up disappointed (see Man City fans in the Champions League second leg).

At the very least, there needs to be a question mark raised within 5 seconds of a goal going in and if it doesn’t come, the goal should count regardless. They don’t necessarily need to make a decision in that time, but at least make fans and players aware that they’re looking into something.

Maybe when we leave after the game thinking we stole a last minute winner we'll be told on MOTD that after careful consideration the goal has been disallowed and we only drew!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Average players costing millions and living a rockstar life style whilst the average fan can’t afford to go to every game puts me off big time.

Footballers who earn mega money deserve it. They have climbed their way to the very top of a massive industry.
A few divisions down, the money is modest.
But yes, too many fans have been priced out.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Been thinking the same as the op for some time. VAR will/has finished it for me, I’m done. I’m going to put more effort into controlling fungus growth on my new ****ing lawn and boiling water on the ****ing ants who couldn’t give a shit when I had my old lawn but now want to push me over the edge.

Geoffish

Aug 2, 2014
I agree with the original poster. VAR will ruin football and this is before we get into the accuracy of the decisions.

For me personally, one of the best feelings when attending a live football match is the jubilation of celebrating a goal. I’ve always tried to be cautious and look to the linesman to check they’ve not flagged for offside before starting to celebrate but this only takes a fraction of a second. Occasionally I’ve still been disappointed but on the whole this works for me. With VAR I honestly don’t feel it’s worth celebrating a goal, except for maybe a penalty, until you’re 100% sure that the VAR check is over.

I attended the 2 England matches in the Nations League and I celebrated like wild when Lingard scored what we thought was the winner. Celebration music was playing, high 5s all round and a real sense of elation. It’s then disallowed, ok fair enough his toe was offside. In the next match Wilson scored what again looked like a late winner. I’d learnt my lesson this time so waited before I started to believe. If a camera had been on me it’d have looked like I didn’t care that we’d scored. By the time I started clapping the players had finished their celebrations and were heading back to their half, the goal had been added to the score board, the celebration music had stopped. I thought, surely if there is an issue they’d have said the check was still ongoing by now. Eventually the goal is disallowed, again probably correctly.

Now both these decisions were probably right, and I’m not questioning VARs accuracy or application (in this post) but don’t tell me I should still enjoy the game when I can’t even celebrate a goal fully without the fear it’s going to be disallowed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I've started to notice that people on this site are so adverse to change it's unreal. A lot of posters want players to fail so the team stays the same. For a long time, a lot of posters wanted the manager to stay the same because they were cared of who we would bring in. Yes VAR is going to change the game, but not so massively as people make out. You old people need to realise change happens. This will benefit the game.

If benefit means to make the game technically more correct, more factual then yes.

What it will also do is make far less interesting for real world spectators, you know, the ones who actually turn up at a stadium. It will break the game up, slow it down, lessen the passion. It will mean moments of euphoria will be tinged with doubt, it will mean the panto villain will either be found not to to be, or will be off the pitch, less booing. It also removes the conversation in the pub after, or in the workplace. ‘That was never offside’, ‘Course it was, at least a yard from where I was sat’ etc etc. But sadly, it is the nerds who watch games from their sofa that now hold the weight of opinion. The beginning of the end for football as a live spectator event.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
It’s really interesting for those of us who watch a lot of cricket on the box too.

I don’t know if anyone notices but every wicket is actually reviewed, even the obvious ones. The first thing they check for ( and if it is a bowled or caught, that is it) is that the bowler has not bowled a no ball. There has been players called back where a bowler has overstepped, or stepped outside the crease. Yes we are all used to Hawkeye in all sorts of sports and this is now the norm.

The really crazy one is in athletics, where the sensors in the blocks are calibrated to a thousandth of a second and remember Ussain bolt being disqualified in the world championships when he was seen to react a tiny fraction of a second before the gun....the “ go on the B of bang! “

I think all sport is being taken over by technology...also remember in the open golf some armchair sneak spotted someone touching the ball whilst setting up for a putt...which when played back was by a millionth of a millimetre and the ball moved microscopically. I can’t remember if he was disqualified but I know he was charged with signing for an incorrect score!

The thing was as people has said, they had to do stuff like stop wrestling in the box, correct penalties where the player actually touches the ball in a challenge, or fouls outside the box where they fall in the box...that sort of thing....trouble is now as with lots of things they have taken it to the extremes and again this is really for the armchair fans, not the fans in the stadiums!
The craziest thing about athletics is that it’s considered a false start if the sensors on the blocks pick up movement up to 0.1 of a second after the gun goes. It’s not just moving before the gun that’s not allowed.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I agree with the original poster. VAR will ruin football and this is before we get into the accuracy of the decisions.

For me personally, one of the best feelings when attending a live football match is the jubilation of celebrating a goal. I’ve always tried to be cautious and look to the linesman to check they’ve not flagged for offside before starting to celebrate but this only takes a fraction of a second. Occasionally I’ve still been disappointed but on the whole this works for me. With VAR I honestly don’t feel it’s worth celebrating a goal, except for maybe a penalty, until you’re 100% sure that the VAR check is over.

I attended the 2 England matches in the Nations League and I celebrated like wild when Lingard scored what we thought was the winner. Celebration music was playing, high 5s all round and a real sense of elation. It’s then disallowed, ok fair enough his toe was offside. In the next match Wilson scored what again looked like a late winner. I’d learnt my lesson this time so waited before I started to believe. If a camera had been on me it’d have looked like I didn’t care that we’d scored. By the time I started clapping the players had finished their celebrations and were heading back to their half, the goal had been added to the score board, the celebration music had stopped. I thought, surely if there is an issue they’d have said the check was still ongoing by now. Eventually the goal is disallowed, again probably correctly.

Now both these decisions were probably right, and I’m not questioning VARs accuracy or application (in this post) but don’t tell me I should still enjoy the game when I can’t even celebrate a goal fully without the fear it’s going to be disallowed.

Absolutely THIS

Imagine Fulham away when Dunk scored our second goal

With VAR, the whole stand just stands / sits and waits..........

Then, in time a few high fives and fist pumps.

Geoffish

Aug 2, 2014
I think we should all do a silent protest at the next match at the Amex. If we score no one celebrate at all until it’s completely confirmed that the VAR check is over.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think we should all do a silent protest at the next match at the Amex. If we score no one celebrate at all until it’s completely confirmed that the VAR check is over.

Imagine the confusion when our opponents kick off and the crowd erupts in cheers as we take that as a sign the goal is official.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Guyana vs Panama. Penalty to Panama, saved by the goalie. But lino flags to say the goalie was off the line so it was retaken and scored. No VAR, but the penalty was shown on the big screen where it was clear the goalie still had one foot on the line so the save should have stood.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of FFS! Why can't they get VAR right? It's very simple.
1). Players not allowed to appeal for VAR (instant yellow card, red for second offence).
2). The ref not allowed to appeal to VAR - no communication unless instigated by the VAR ref.
3). The VAR ref. to explain the clear and obvious miss/error by the referee; screen for the ref. to view the incident or no, the decision remains with the on-field referee to accept or reject the VAR ref's opinion or advice.
4). Any VAR ref. who is too thick to understand the difference between a 'clear and obvious error' and, "Hang on, let me view that half a dozen times in slow motion just in case there's an error" should be removed from the referees panel with immediate effect.
5). After ten seconds, video ref. intervention too late and not allowed.

Of course, they aren't - and won't - follow these guidelines. VAR refs can seek glory like The Complete And Utter Shyster without even having to hear the boos. Football (with VAR as currently used) will eat itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here