Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Deffo shoes will also marginally help climbing.

You boys need to do all your shopping through www.prendas.co.uk.

I got jnr a Sky jersey for Christmas, the age older than he is and it was tiny (he's no chunky monkey).
So I sent it back Saturday, and today (next day service) not only did the bigger jersey arrive but this too, by way of apology for something that wasn't their fault:-

View attachment 49847
A Prendas GB cotton cycling cap

I do love prendas, and have wasted many an hour looking through their stuff. As you say, their service is excellent too.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
OK guys a little cycling help needed. Having now had to retire from football due to an ankle injury that will not recover, at 52, I need a new hobby. After 36 years of sheer joy and a couple of gongs, it's time to seek fun from something else, I can't run anymore either so it's basically kayaking, which I do a little of, and cycling or swimming. Mindless mile after mile on dangerous roads hasn't allowed me to catch the bug so I tried a little off road and it was great but my basic bike was crap. So what's the bike I need?

This is for pleasure not competition, I don't want to do loop the loop but do want to get up hill quickly and down hill reasonably quick, cycling on The South Downs way, Houghton Woods, basically tracks around Arundel, Storrington, Pulborough areas.

Any help and advuce most welcome.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK guys a little cycling help needed. Having now had to retire from football due to an ankle injury that will not recover, at 52, I need a new hobby. After 36 years of sheer joy and a couple of gongs, it's time to seek fun from something else, I can't run anymore either so it's basically kayaking, which I do a little of, and cycling or swimming. Mindless mile after mile on dangerous roads hasn't allowed me to catch the bug so I tried a little off road and it was great but my basic bike was crap. So what's the bike I need?

This is for pleasure not competition, I don't want to do loop the loop but do want to get up hill quickly and down hill reasonably quick, cycling on The South Downs way, Houghton Woods, basically tracks around Arundel, Storrington, Pulborough areas.

Fortunately for you, I'm a roadie and look down on people like you :lol:
There's a couple of on/off road cyclist here, I'm sure they'll eventually pop up to help you.

The basic advise is make sure you get the bike fit for purpose.
I see some monstrosities that look like they are impossible to propel forward due to all the up and down movement from the suspension.

Get yourself over to see Martin www.southdownsbbikes.co.uk in Storrington, and be honest about why you want the bike.

Oh and obviously if you learn only one thing from German supremacy, WEAR A HELMET.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
There's a couple of on/off road cyclist here, I'm sure they'll eventually pop up to help you.

I see some monstrosities that look like they are impossible to propel forward due to all the up and down movement from the suspension.

Get yourself over to see Martin www.southdownsbbikes.co.uk in Storrington, and be honest about why you want the bike.

Oh and obviously if you learn only one thing from German supremacy, WEAR A HELMET.

Depends on how much you want to shell out ? If you pay enough you can lock off the suspension whilst climbing and unlock for comfort whilst descending your piles will appreciate it. :thumbsup:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Welcome to geekery! :)

As SB said there are plenty of off-roaders about who'll know more than us roadies (in this specific case only, mind!). Cycling really is horses for courses (and yes - EVERYTHING is different), so get the right bike for the type of riding you'll be doing on that particular bike. Get one that fits you properly, and test-ride as many as you can. Get the one that feels like 'your' bike, and the one you like the most - you'll use it more if you love it more!

Enjoy!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Thanks very much, agree on both counts, i.e. keep it simple, just a bike to do the job and my desires, which is not stump jumping etc, so a hard tail is what I need according to Southdowns (great place BTW) and yes, currently on the road and use helmet and will do so off-road with my pikey off road chums! :)lolol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Welcome to geekery! :)

As SB said there are plenty of off-roaders about who'll know more than us roadies (in this specific case only, mind!). Cycling really is horses for courses (and yes - EVERYTHING is different), so get the right bike for the type of riding you'll be doing on that particular bike. Get one that fits you properly, and test-ride as many as you can. Get the one that feels like 'your' bike, and the one you like the most - you'll use it more if you love it more!

Enjoy!

Thanks, yes have gone through a spectrum of bikes and realised it's not really about paying more, it's about getting the tool I need for what I want to do.

Also, I have had to really understand what it is I want and can do. This has taken me away from a £2,300 twin sus type thing to a very sensible and much cheaper hard tail.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Depends on how much you want to shell out ? If you pay enough you can lock off the suspension whilst climbing and unlock for comfort whilst descending your piles will appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Indeed and agree, but I have come to the conclusion that my cycling desire is a bit more off-road, and appreciating I just want to cycle for fun and fitness on trails but due to ankle and knee football, injuries I'm never going to be leaping over great oaks etc!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A couple of other quick questions:

What's the difference between an Hard Tail and a Hard Tail29er?

Am I correct in thinking that buying such a bike second hand is a bit risky due to possible damage? They don't seem much cheaper considering the risk?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hiya Geeks, a quick catch up session:-

- [MENTION=7324]Tim Over Whelmed[/MENTION] I believe the 29 is in reference to the wheel size.
29 has been tried a few times and cycling is currently in another phase of promoting bigger wheels.
29 being bigger than whatever is usual, at this point basic physics kicks in, and I leave.

- I saw the cycling jersey in the club shop.
My opinion hasn't changed in the slightest, that's an awful lot of money for a pretty rubbish jersey.
I will say it's not a complete car crash and I wouldn't be surprised if they sold a few to people who know no better :lol:.

- David Millar interview on the www.humansinvent.com podcast.
I've been mulling over whether I should say IT'S A MUST LISTEN INTERVIEW, and have decided it probably is.
Where it is good, whether that be emotional (Wouter Weylandt), passionate (his last season), funny, it is exceptionally good.
I know Big Dave is a little divisive here but as the interview expands out it's thoroughly rewarding, especially during the next cloud burst.
It would seem the interview isn't yet on their website, it's certainly up on I-Tunes.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
A couple of other quick questions:

What's the difference between an Hard Tail and a Hard Tail29er?

Am I correct in thinking that buying such a bike second hand is a bit risky due to possible damage? They don't seem much cheaper considering the risk?

Don't get a 29er, they just have bigger wheels and are a stupid pointless gimmick that will fade away in a few years (imo). Though if you want to be really cutting edge you should be looking at a 650b wheel (somewhere between a 29 inch wheel and the more traditional 26inch). All that said, if you are particularly tall I can see some benefit to the larger wheels, as it enables you to ride with a more normal geometry.

You are on the right track with a hard tail, you will get a lot more bang for you buck. It also is the right kind of bike for the type of riding you will be doing.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The Argus website is currently reporting two separate serious accidents involving cyclists in Sussex.

The first one verses a bus on the A272/A24 and the other in Ferring with a scary photo of the rider pinned underneath the car. Eeeek.

I hope both riders are ok - and our thoughts are with them.

Be careful out there.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Argus website is currently reporting two separate serious accidents involving cyclists in Sussex.

The first one verses a bus on the A272/A24 and the other in Ferring with a scary photo of the rider pinned underneath the car. Eeeek.

Be careful out there.

Bloody hell. I cycled through Ferring twice today, I went to Littlehampton and back. Really makes you think. I hope the riders are both ok.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Be careful out there.

Are they both today?

As you know my probable protege came off on a stretch of road he's ridden 100+ times, and smashed himself up good and proper.
Well another mate who's definitely a protege (hark at me, what a tw@t) now riders with Southdowns Velo.
Anyhoo one of their club got knocked off by a car, got driven over and stuck under the car.
Fire, ambulance, and helicopter rescue called, when they finally got him out, he walked off fine and dandy.

A minor miracle.

Loving the railway cycle lane, it's a shame it'll never happen.

I can just see a car driver, stuck in traffic, looking up and saying 'I pay my road tax, I'm going up there, those lycra louts can't stop me!!!'.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Are they both today?

Both reports in the Argus are immediately below the lead item which is a current Albion news story, so I presume both incidents were today. But it is The Argus of course.

I can't seem to attach the photo of the rider under the car.....and I'm not sure its right to anyway, but it is a chilling image. Fingers crossed he is 'ok'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here