Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's World Cup - are you now a fan?

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
As many others have said, not interested because the standard’s rubbish.
In fact, I use the same rationale for refusing to watch my son play, and will continue to do so until he reaches a professional level.
My wife can suffer through it instead.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Watched half a game. Standard very poor. Wasn't a fan and certainly haven't been converted. Absolutely no chance I will watch Albion Women. Really pissed off with the way the media have given blanket coverage to it to the detriment of other sports just because in the current climate "it's the right thing to do".

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Watched half a game. Standard very poor. Wasn't a fan and certainly haven't been converted. Absolutely no chance I will watch Albion Women. Really pissed off with the way the media have given blanket coverage to it to the detriment of other sports just because in the current climate "it's the right thing to do".

Agreed. Fed up of the media, ex players and England management team talking it up as if it’s just about to overtake men’s football. Ok it’s improved but so it should with the heavy investment over the past few years and low starting point.

I hope we can put it back in it’s box as we did with GB curling, UK men’s hockey, Eddie the Eagle, Tom Daley, Torvill and Dean and Andy Murray.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Well that's a load of old bollocks isn't it.

The BBC have made a concerted effort to drum up some enthusiasm for women's football, because it gives them some sports coverage which might be worth having.
Nothing to do with political correctness.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Always been a supporter of womens football and this WC improved significantly from previous tournaments.

No, the game is not as good as the mens.......but then in athletics mens world records are always going to be better than womens. You can't watch a womens football match (or cricket match for that matter) and expect to see the same level as in the mens game. For one reason top women footballers are paid £40-£50K a YEAR!

As for watching our ladies team..........no, I won't be going to their games but only because the club has binned them off to Crawley!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No, didn't watch it, probably won't in the future either.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Got into the ramped up hype, enjoyed that element but the quality really wasn't there for me, and the experience of the BHA stuff thus far is even less exhilarating.

On the up though, maybe soon.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Well that's a load of old bollocks isn't it.

The BBC have made a concerted effort to drum up some enthusiasm for women's football, because it gives them some sports coverage which might be worth having.
Nothing to do with political correctness.

But why has the BBC spent the time and money trying to drum up some enthusiasm? Certainly not because the interest was already there. It was absolutely all about political correctness.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
But why has the BBC spent the time and money trying to drum up some enthusiasm? Certainly not because the interest was already there. It was absolutely all about political correctness.
Maybe because a taxpayer-funded entity has a civic responsibility to devote equal time and resources to both men’s and women’s sports. Because girls should be able to have female role-models to look up to. Because if they don’t, then in all likelihood, no-one else will, because it’s not yet commercially viable, because of people with attitudes like yours.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Maybe because a taxpayer-funded entity has a civic responsibility to devote equal time and resources to both men’s and women’s sports. Because girls should be able to have female role-models to look up to. Because if they don’t, then in all likelihood, no-one else will, because it’s not yet commercially viable, because of people with attitudes like yours.

Nicely put

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

yeah pretty much.

Their campaign did get me watching a bit . Some of it was ok . Not really for me though

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

they already have good role models suc as Delia Smith and Mary Berry.

;-)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Maybe because a taxpayer-funded entity has a civic responsibility to devote equal time and resources to both men’s and women’s sports.

Does it? Is this in some charter somewhere? Surely quality comes in to it somewhere. What about devoting time to broadcast sports for other minority groups?

BBC is lucky that it has no advertisers to please with viewer numbers and levies a compulsory tax to watch it (and not just watch BBC). What a great opportunity for the meddlers to play silly buggers!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Yes. I enjoyed watching most of the games in the WWC more then I did watching Brighton in the second half of last season. I may be even tempted to give up my season ticket at the Amex and support the women's team instead.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As I said before the WC, I think women's football needs to find its own audience, and not to bother attempting to convert existing fans of male football. Of those fans of male football who aren't interested, some are sexist and have made their mind up before a ball is kicked, and some (most) just don't see it as of a high enough standard to warrant watching. It'll be decades before either group are swayed. It's a very similar scenario to soccer in general in the US - it wasn't worth trying to change the minds of Ordinary Joe who saw no place for soccer in their crowded sporting landscape, so MLS and US soccer eventually realised it wasn't worth trying to do that and instead reached out to young soccer fans instead; and now 20 years on soccer is comfortably in the public consciousness in the US.

My view is that the best half dozen teams are very watchable, even though the standard isn't good enough to warrant high ticket prices. That will change over a decade as the sport is more exposed to young girls who aspire to be pro footballers. I do think that the women's game deserves the exposure and trappings the TV money has created. BHA should not be playing in Crawley, they should be playing in Brighton. I don't think it should even be allowed. Ideally, they should play at a 2,000 seat training facility at Lancing or Withdean or somewhere like that - with a handful of the high profile games moved to the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here