Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

143rd Open Championship

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Here's my thoughts on the week...

Rory McIlroy did just enough and played well with a lead that big, knowing when to bomb it and when not too. His tee shots were right on the money and he just leaked a few shots into greens which cost him shots but overall it was the perfect round with a 6 shot lead on a relatively easy course. Inevitable that he'll win some more Opens and majors, would take a guess at 8-10 at the moment.

Ricky Fowler impressed me too and I thought he might just disappear but he continued hitting good shot after good shot. He certainly is a major winner waiting to happen, plenty of those about though
icon_razz.gif
28s for next year might look quite big come the first week of July 2015.

Sergio Garcia also hung about for longer than I thought he would and his dodgy putting held up under pressure in the main but I always felt he was an accident waiting to happen (despite backing him late on) and he didn't disappoint but he did very well just to drop one shot out of the bunker. Will he ever win a major? Hard to say but he hasn't done after 60 odd but he has the game to do it, not sure he has the mental strength but would like to see him win one. 5th in 2005 and 14th in 2010 at St Andrews, would need to be bigger than 25/1 to entertain backing him.

Dustbin Johnson gets the double squiggle now after his shank at St Georges was followed with pretty much the same off the 17th (maybe 16th) tee and a big OOB drive right on the last. I must remind myself not to back him next year
icon_redface.gif

Victor Dubuisson has impressed me this season and he looks to have the game to contend at The Open for a good few years yet. His short game his shit hot and he's pretty much nailed his place in the Ryder Cup team, what a partner to have in foursomes - you could stick him in the shit around the greens and know that you will have a tap in left when its your turn. 100/1 for next year is tempting.

Adam Scott also knows how to play the links golf and if he'd have been on the right side of the draw he would have given Rory a run for his money as his opening round was in the worst of the wind and looked every bit as good as Rory's. He struggled with it all on Friday but two good rounds at the weekend show he's also an Open winner in the waiting. 27th and 34th at St Andrews so far but this is a different Adam Scott now. 16/1 at the moment, no surprise if he was a bit shorter some next July but it would be a big surprise if he was much longer.

Tiger Woods showed some of the old Tiger on Thursday but he pretty much disappeared in the last 3 days although we did see all of his shots on BBC so he didn't disappear that much
icon_rolleyes.gif
I really don't know what happens with him next. His prices for majors are far too short - 14/1 at Valhalla, good luck to those backing him. He owned St Andrews in 2000 and 2005 but struggled in the wind in 2010 after a 67 start. He's one of those that, if he wins at a big price, you would be kicking yourself for letting him go unbacked but also its hard to pull the trigger at the moment. Watching brief for a while but IF he gets the mojo back it will be interesting to see if he can contend again.

Phil Mickelson has big putting problems at the moment, if he gets that back he will contend again. Not really done anything at St Andrews but with his new belief in his ability on the links he may change that next year IF he gets his putting sorted.

There were plenty who struggled in the first few days but really went through the field yesterday and they filled most of the top 12.

All in all, it was enjoyable week, especially as it was profitable
icon_biggrin.gif

Roll on next year at St Andrews where the hotel has been booked for 2 years already and outward flight booked this morning:smile:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Good summary [MENTION=26]Billy Seagull[/MENTION] I have 3 golfers who I wont back as I don't believe they have the mental strength for the back 9 of a major. Garcia, Kuchar and Johnson. I'm dissapointed the word is out on Johnson, the trading chances will dry up.

As I said on Friday, I thought Rory would blow but should have thought back to his US Open win rather than his current form. Tiger was a fantastic front runner in his pomp and Rory looks like he made of similar stuff. At least I got out of some of the bad decisions I made - totalling my bets this morning, I made the grand total of 18p. If Sergio had proved me wrong, I dread to think of the damage that would have done.

Onwards and upwards to Valhalla. Woods won there in 2000, so if he is going to come back to form it's a good as place as any. I note that Kenny Perry has a great record there, been given a special invite and its his home state. Trouble is, he is not priced up yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here