Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
People who vote for the Brexit Party despise their country?

Maybe you just aren't as empathetic or as understanding of other points of view as you think you are.

That's just one option. The other is like I said "so immune to facts and evidence". I guess a third option would be they actually have looked at facts and evidence and have decided that on balance having Claire Fox representing them is just fine, and if you don't know why that is shocking have a look at her track record over the past 20 years, but I've got more faith in humanity than to think so.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
People who vote for the Brexit Party despise their country?

Maybe you just aren't as empathetic or as understanding of other points of view as you think you are.

In fairness, Happy Exile's primary suggestion was that people who vote for the Brexit Party are immune to facts and evidence. Despising one's country was given as an alternative, presumably in recognition of the fact that Remainers are far more often called traitors and collaborators.

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
In fairness, Happy Exile's primary suggestion was that people who vote for the Brexit Party are immune to facts and evidence. Despising one's country was given as an alternative, presumably in recognition of the fact that Remainers are far more often called traitors and collaborators.

Thank you for helping with clarity :)

It was also because there is no benefit to Brexit. Every objective evidence based and data driven analysis has us significantly poorer as a country and as individuals. How can anyone who loves their country and its people think that's a good thing? Equally, it could be people see Farage hanging out with Claire Fox, and supporting Roy Moore, and laughing off Russian money questions and schmoozing Bannon and they might think "that's my kind of people too" but I don't think they do. Yet they support him. Can you imagine if any other party leader did that? Maybe people see Farage hanging out with holocaust deniers and the far right of Europe and they think that's fine too but I doubt that as well. I think people are much better than that, and the fact Farage has convinced them he is somehow a saviour is a reason for sympathy not condemnation. No party is without flaws, but Farage's are actually everything we as a society have always fought against.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thank you for helping with clarity :)

It was also because there is no benefit to Brexit. Every objective evidence based and data driven analysis has us significantly poorer as a country and as individuals. How can anyone who loves their country and its people think that's a good thing? Equally, it could be people see Farage hanging out with Claire Fox, and supporting Roy Moore, and laughing off Russian money questions and schmoozing Bannon and they might think "that's my kind of people too" but I don't think they do. Yet they support him. Can you imagine if any other party leader did that? Maybe people see Farage hanging out with holocaust deniers and the far right of Europe and they think that's fine too but I doubt that as well. I think people are much better than that, and the fact Farage has convinced them he is somehow a saviour is a reason for sympathy not condemnation. No party is without flaws, but Farage's are actually everything we as a society have always fought against.

It's gut wrenching when one thinks of all those who laid down their lives to rid Europe of the scourge of fascism in the last century and then think of the masses that have taken time out of their day today to go and try and give power back to these degenerates.
How quickly some forget.
Our Grandfathers would be turning in their graves.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The EU may well have a very different composition after these elections. People should not suppose that it will uphold the same values that it has worked so hard to impose upon the people these past twenty years. If there is a wild lurch to the right, then will all the EU apologists still argue their case so vehemently?

This will cheer you up. The Dutch have done an exit poll today.

[tweet]1131672834823073801[/tweet]

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People still hoping for Brexit will have again shot themselves in the foot if they voted for the Brexit party. If anybody thinks that voting in a load of right wing fascists (lead by the idiot who insulted the entire EP to their faces) into the European Parliament is gonna do us any favours , they’re as deluded as the day they voted Leave.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's gut wrenching when one thinks of all those who laid down their lives to rid Europe of the scourge of fascism in the last century and then think of the masses that have taken time out of their day today to go and try and give power back to these degenerates.
How quickly some forget.
Our Grandfathers would be turning in their graves.

Equally the rise of far right parties across the continent. We’re just a small part of the picture.

Where did this all stem from?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

We will see. I think often people state a voting intention as more extreme than their action. It has happened with the Dutch before. Would a more extreme EU parliament make you less inclined towards the EU?

As an aside, why are the Dutch allowed exit polls, I thought they were banned around the EU until voting has finished?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Interesting given no results nor exit polling data is allowed to be released until all member countries have voted ..... i.e. Sunday. So the person that wrote that tweet has either broken the rules or made it up.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As an aside, why are the Dutch allowed exit polls, I thought they were banned around the EU until voting has finished?

They are. In order to prevent people voting later being influenced by results / predictions from other member states. I can only conclude the tweet is a fake.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I see some Greek bloke was badly beaten in West Street for being a 'foreigner'. Im certain this sort of thing has happened in the past, but it does feel as though this sort of this is rising, and is being exacerbated by Brexit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We will see. I think often people state a voting intention as more extreme than their action. It has happened with the Dutch before. Would a more extreme EU parliament make you less inclined towards the EU?

The 'No exit polls' law is a UK Law, and not an EU Law - so not applicable in the Netherlands.

Whether *the law is an ass* in this particular situation is for the individual to decide.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Far right is being trounced in The Netherlands so im led to believe.

I hope so.

In answer to my own question, I think the internet has led to the global growth of the far right and nationalism. Fake news and a range of nuts have found their voice, with new fans flocking to the compelling narrative (e.g. Make America Great Again).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
They are. In order to prevent people voting later being influenced by results / predictions from other member states. I can only conclude the tweet is a fake.

Well your view is being backed up by the Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/24/european-elections-2019-results-exit-polls-uk/

Will there be exit polls?
No - the rest of the EU will be voting over the next few days. It is a criminal offence for any country in the EU to publish exit polls, or any information about how people have voted during the election, before 22:00 BST on Sunday 26 May.

But, given their history, I am not convinced that helps :wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here