Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Early Retirement help

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The OP makes reference to a monthly pension - That's what made me think that an Annuity was what he was currently in consideration of - Perhaps it isn't but that was my first port of call as I am not all that up on where to invest funds. Not really my expertise

Sounds more like it's a company scheme (final salary ?) than an annuity. Either way, I'd highly recommend at least a chat with an independent adviser - most will offer an initial consultation for free. Rules around pensions, and associated options, are incredibly complex and the wrong decision could be very expensive.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
No right or wrong answer, it all depends on your personal circumstances and what the decrease in pension payments is for different lump sum amounts.

If you are looking to reinvest the lump sum, it would be worth talking to a financial advisor.

Agree with all this.... it really does depend on your personal circumstances. I'm a financial adviser but not on your doorstep living in Manchester! Happy to have an initial chat by phone if you want.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Two other things. Do you intend to stop working completely or take on a part-time or full time job?

Are you mortgage free? (assuming you are buying).

I don't intend to get a job unless it's something I fancy doing (might do some charity stuff though) as I won't need to.

Paid the mortgage off last year.

Got a feller coming Friday to explain the options to me and give me the figures but he won't actually give advice at that time (I can use them to advise on investments later if I want).

I was more interested in what others had done, and why.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Take as big a lump sum as you can, tax free, and take good advice to invest it wisely in a tax free environment like ISAs. If your partner is still working, make a lump sum contribution to their pension with part of your lump sum.

Wot he said! Happy for you to PM me I've spent a lot of time looking at my pensions options lately, but, as always, please seek your own qualified advice!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Sounds more like it's a company scheme (final salary ?) than an annuity. Either way, I'd highly recommend at least a chat with an independent adviser - most will offer an initial consultation for free. Rules around pensions, and associated options, are incredibly complex and the wrong decision could be very expensive.

Yes, company scheme, most of it is a final salary "pot" (defined benefit), the rest is defined contribution. At a pension seminar 3 or 4 years ago we were told to avoid annuities as they wouldn't come close.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I don't intend to get a job unless it's something I fancy doing (might do some charity stuff though) as I won't need to.

Got a feller coming Friday to explain the options to me and give me the figures but he won't actually give advice at that time (I can use them to advise on investments later if I want).

** Please be careful, I finally found some very good advice but there are many people looking to help you spend your tax free pot!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

** Please be careful, I finally found some very good advice but there are many people looking to help you spend your tax free pot! [MENTION=6481]steve[/MENTION] foster may be a very good place to start?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, company scheme, most of it is a final salary "pot" (defined benefit), the rest is defined contribution. At a pension seminar 3 or 4 years ago we were told to avoid annuities as they wouldn't come close.

Sounds fairly typical - most DB schemes have been capped or stopped completely now. Annuity rates are indeed poor..........I had a (legacy - from a former employer I left a long time ago) capped DB scheme until recently but took it all out and invested in a SIPP instead (annuity rates being low mean the amount the scheme will give you for leaving it are large - I was offered almost 40x the projected annual pension). All of my contributions from later employers are in DC funds so I will have no pension income, but a huge amount of flexibility when it comes to the time to start drawing down. Worth also bearing in mind that anything you take out (whether all of it, or the tax free max etc) forms part of your estate whereas the pension usually gets significantly reduced for dependents.
[MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] might be useful if you're local

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I've been given the choice of moving to Ipswich, redeployment or taking a paid leaver package. I've plumped for the leaver package and am looking at taking my pension early.
I have the choice of a bigger monthly payment and lower lump sum, or lower monthly and bigger lump sum.
Anyone else made this choice and can offer plus/minus for each ?

I can’t help you with your question, but let me just congratulate you on your choice not to move to Ipswich.

This is a decision that you will never ever regret.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Two things from my experience.

Sit down and talk all of your pensions and investments through with a good IFA and think through exactly what you want to do. I was lucky as I had a few friends who were IFAs, but take your time and get personal recommendations on choosing one

If you are going from full time to completely retired it can be a shock, particularly if it's a high pressured environment you are coming from. I took early retirement at 50 and within 2 years I was getting bored. I found something I really enjoyed and at 58 I'm still doing it 3-4 days a week, and although I may well do less, I can see me still doing it for another 10 years.

Good luck :thumbsup:

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Cashing out part of a final salary pension and then buying an annuity with the cash gets you back to where you started, but almost certainly on a lower monthly pension.

Buying an annuity with a money purchase pot is a different matter. Current annuity rates are as bad as they have ever been. This is a reflection of increased life expectancy and a low return environment. However,if you’re going to live to 90 or 100, buying an annuity might turn out to be the best financial decision you ever made. Conversely, annuities represent poor value for people who don’t have a long retirement.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

May we ask how old you are? And would you be so kind as to tell us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here