Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had a few drinks so far in March after completing the 30 AF days, but I’m way, way down on previous volumes. Finding that moderating significantly, as I’d planned, is working out ok so far. Was away with work last week at an ‘offsite’ for 3 nights, 2 of which turned into the typical 2am+ sessions. Dipped out of both and went to bed. Had two small glasses of wine on the flight instead of the usual session. Last night, had a single glass of wine with dinner.

Wondering how easy it will be to start slipping back into old habits, so will be very conscious of what I’m doing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
By Friday this week I will have gone the longest without a drink since 1977. Then another month for the ton.

Will join the alternative drinks experiment this month Aiming to reduce sugar intake through drinks.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Today is day 75 for me.

I seriously wavered last night, out with Mrs Bozza in London for a meal and a show which included a few drinks in a pub in between. But I stuck to my guns and ploughed into yet more lime and soda. Should be an easy run to 100 days from here.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Today is day 75 for me.

I seriously wavered last night, out with Mrs Bozza in London for a meal and a show which included a few drinks in a pub in between. But I stuck to my guns and ploughed into yet more lime and soda. Should be an easy run to 100 days from here.

I did similar last year, went to a London show, expensive tickets etc.. I love a glass or 2 of red wine when out with the wife for dinner but I didn't as I set myself a target but I actually regret it now as I remember the not drinking part of the evening rather than the show and I missed having a laugh with her. I think it's an amazing thing to stop drinking or to have a break but I do wonder if it's a bit of a 'bloke' thing to set a target and stick to it.
I also want to regulate my drinking and have really enjoyed looking at this thread, but I hope that the next time I do have a break I will put in a clause that I will have the odd night back on the wine as I know she likes to have a drink with me and it seems a bit unfair to punish her for me being a bit of a pisshead if that makes any bloody sense??!!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I did similar last year, went to a London show, expensive tickets etc.. I love a glass or 2 of red wine when out with the wife for dinner but I didn't as I set myself a target but I actually regret it now as I remember the not drinking part of the evening rather than the show and I missed having a laugh with her. I think it's an amazing thing to stop drinking or to have a break but I do wonder if it's a bit of a 'bloke' thing to set a target and stick to it.
I also want to regulate my drinking and have really enjoyed looking at this thread, but I hope that the next time I do have a break I will put in a clause that I will have the odd night back on the wine as I know she likes to have a drink with me and it seems a bit unfair to punish her for me being a bit of a pisshead if that makes any bloody sense??!!

i take my hat off to both of you ......i have the breaking point of a kit kat where giving up the booze is concerned.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's an Official personal World record for me today. 68 dry days. The longest dry run since my life in pubs started in 1977. Beats last years 67 days.
The 100 days is going out the window. I do not want to be the only sober **** at Wembley. This will involve a little bit of training in the days before to get up to scratch and avoid being a 2 pot screamer.
Happy to change 100 target as I now have something to aim at next year.

Still going for at least another week. Well done to those still abstaining.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
This will involve a little bit of training in the days before to get up to scratch and avoid being a 2 pot screamer.

:lolol: Never heard that saying. Made me chuckle.

Well... January - zero alcohol.

February - had about the same in the whole month as I'd have had in one evening, so all good.

March - Am getting to where I wanted to be. I'm dipping in and out. I still prefer a big glass of ice and fresh juice of an evening at 'TV time' with Mrs Nose (as opposed to chugging down beer or wine), but I may have a glass of wine with dinner. I always knew the challenge would be moderation, so this is my 'time'... I found January easy as I'm an all-or-nothing personality by nature.

Well done to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - lots of respect for you fella. :thumbsup:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Today is day 75 for me.

What did you go and see?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's an Official personal World record for me today. 68 dry days. The longest dry run since my life in pubs started in 1977. Beats last years 67 days.
The 100 days is going out the window. I do not want to be the only sober **** at Wembley. This will involve a little bit of training in the days before to get up to scratch and avoid being a 2 pot screamer.
Happy to change 100 target as I now have something to aim at next year.

Still going for at least another week. Well done to those still abstaining.

I'll be a sober **** at Wembley.

Day 80 here.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:lolol: Never heard that saying. Made me chuckle.

Well... January - zero alcohol.

February - had about the same in the whole month as I'd have had in one evening, so all good.

March - Am getting to where I wanted to be. I'm dipping in and out. I still prefer a big glass of ice and fresh juice of an evening at 'TV time' with Mrs Nose (as opposed to chugging down beer or wine), but I may have a glass of wine with dinner. I always knew the challenge would be moderation, so this is my 'time'... I found January easy as I'm an all-or-nothing personality by nature.

Well done to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - lots of respect for you fella. :thumbsup:

Echo all of this, v similar to where I am. Nothing Feb, and not much in March - managing to have the occasional beer or glass of wine but typically 5-6 dry days per week, and when I do have a drink it’s now a single glass of wine, not a bottle. Keeping stock of AF beers in the fridge which I’m getting on with ok too.

Still can’t say I’ve noticed feeling much better, and haven’t lost a lot of weight (maybe 3-4 kg but I’ve increased training at the same time so it’s probably more down to that).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Aladdin. Not my choice, but it was decent enough.

We only booked tickets around 4pm for the show the same night, so options were slightly limited if you wanted to spend less than £200 a ticket.

Tell me about it. I'm taking Mrs N and our 2 children, nine and seven, (that's their ages, not their names) to see Matilda on the West End in April. Booked seats at the front of the stalls and when I clicked 'buy' I thought I was going to have to re-mortgage the house.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I have had a few drinks now especially on Saturday nights and although didn't drink for 53 days I do think I could very easily slip back into old habits.

I just like the taste of beer, wine and scotch and therefore if I have one, I then want another - not to get blasted but because coke etc is just too sweet after a pint.

I will not drink tonight as I will be drinking tomorrow but equally would a couple of pints really be the end of the world? I don't want to cut out a pleasure if I don't really have a problem.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tell me about it. I'm taking Mrs N and our 2 children, nine and seven, (that's their ages, not their names) to see Matilda on the West End in April. Booked seats at the front of the stalls and when I clicked 'buy' I thought I was going to have to re-mortgage the house.

Matilda is absolutely wonderful - you're in for a real treat. I've been lucky enough to see it both in London and New York and last weekend I was gently trying to suggest we see it again.

We paid £80 per ticket for the Aladdin seats, and they were good. I can only assume the £200+ tickets are lapped up by tourists or something.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
How do you find it if your partner drinks? Went out with the bird last night and drank lime and soda and a couple of Becks blue, she was on the wine. Feels a bit odd being sober with someone drinking.

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've not down well at all despite all my good intentions. Weight back on and drinking less than before but still fairly regularly. Going to start the exercise again this weekend which may bring everything else back into line.

I need some mates who also want to lose weight and do a "beep test" approach, instead of trying to lose weight quickly, just lose at least a kilo a week, and see who can sustain the longest!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
I'm on Day 233 now.
I've a couple of new AF beer recommendations.

Sainsburys do a rather good "Czech lager" AF , that is unusually for AF stuff - a 500cl bottle.
Its got a bit more depth than your usual low alcohol lagers (Becks, San Miguel, Budweiser) and a decent lingering flavour. Cheap too.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp...ries/sainsburys-low-alcohol-czech-lager-500ml

I've now had a few of the Infinite Sessions Pale Ales . Up there with Brewdog's Nanny State (most supermarkets) and Harvey's low alcohol ales (actually in a couple of Lewes pubs including The Swan and the Harvey's shop) . very good. They're also in Sainsburys but i also spotted via
https://drydrinker.com/product/infinite-session-american-pale-ale
Drydrinker is a shop for alcohol free . Not tried it myself but again amazed at the range and variety on offer (ciders, wines, gins, lagers, ales. )

PS: Alcohol free cider is terrible. Don't bother.

PPS: My non AF beer drinks are Coke Zero, Ginger Beer, and the ubiquitous Lime & Soda.
this bout of sobriety also means I've also gone back to drinking cups of tea in the evening.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
How do you find it if your partner drinks? Went out with the bird last night and drank lime and soda and a couple of Becks blue, she was on the wine. Feels a bit odd being sober with someone drinking.

Went to a pub quiz with the wife and a few drunken old birds plus a few NSC runners on Wednesday night. No problem at all. I did clear out the whole stock of Nanny State Brewdog though, it helped to trick my brain.
It's OK for me as I'm childish enough, stupid enough and too annoying even when sober.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I've not down well at all despite all my good intentions. Weight back on and drinking less than before but still fairly regularly. Going to start the exercise again this weekend which may bring everything else back into line.

I need some mates who also want to lose weight and do a "beep test" approach, instead of trying to lose weight quickly, just lose at least a kilo a week, and see who can sustain the longest!

At least you've cut down + you haven't given up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here