Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Warren Aspinal Saturday

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0732fgw

For those who missed it, which included me until 10 minutes ago, this highlights package from Sussex Sport made me smile, not just because it reminded me again that we won, but because of WA's classic reaction to the two goals: 'You won't see a better strike than that this season!' for Murray's followed less than an hour later by a speechless moan of wonderment and a recanting of his previous statement. He is the only football pundit who I am totally happy to forgive for not being able to say anyone's name properly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0732fgw

For those who missed it, which included me until 10 minutes ago, this highlights package from Sussex Sport made me smile, not just because it reminded me again that we won, but because of WA's classic reaction to the two goals: 'You won't see a better strike than that this season!' for Murray's followed less than an hour later by a speechless moan of wonderment and a recanting of his previous statement. He is the only football pundit who I am totally happy to forgive for not being able to say anyone's name properly.

Proper heart on the sleeve stuff from Warren coupled with a great understanding of the game. He also calls exactly what he sees on the pitch without holding punches if he’s not happy with it. Bloody love listening to him and I don’t give a shit that he has trouble pronouncing names as he has no problem describing what is happening or has happened.

I often wonder if he is actually Albion through and through as he comes across as being so but he’s had plenty of clubs and doesn’t come from Sussex.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agreed with all above. A few people I know assume that he's a poor co-commentator due to his struggles with diction. Nah, he reads the game really well, and as said is more than happy to pull players up if he thinks they aren't playing well. Always enjoy the combo of Cantor and Aspinall.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why does he support us? I remember him playing for us briefly, but he played for loads of clubs and comes from the North-West. Why is his affiliation with us?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
For me, JC, I think Warren Aspinall is the best summariser we could have.

Love his assessment of past and present players like Anthony Knockhard, Connor Goldstone, Leo Ujéa, and Uwe Humeneier.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
WA is a legend.

JC quite often picks up on the observations that WA makes and praises him for making a correct assessment

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Why does he support us? I remember him playing for us briefly, but he played for loads of clubs and comes from the North-West. Why is his affiliation with us?

He works for the club as a scout. He has done since Gus Poyet's days. He obviously knows his stuff because he has been kept on by successive recruitment set-ups. I understand that Christian Walton was one of his spots..

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ah OK thanks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He works for the club as a scout. He has done since Gus Poyet's days. He obviously knows his stuff because he has been kept on by successive recruitment set-ups. I understand that Christian Walton was one of his spots..[/QUOTE]

IIRC he said that he went to watch another player and arrived early so watched the game that he played in and the rest is history.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
It amuses me that he is always introduced by JC as "former Albion striker". To the best of my knowledge, and certainly whenever I saw him, he played in midfield for us. (I think he was a striker with his earlier clubs, but by the time he came to us he was a bit portly.)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
He works for the club as a scout. He has done since Gus Poyet's days. He obviously knows his stuff because he has been kept on by successive recruitment set-ups. I understand that Christian Walton was one of his spots..

Didn't know that. Explains his affection for us.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
When I can't make a home or away game (luckily very few this season) I love listening to Cantor and Aspinal, Warren is very passionate and I find him spot on with most of his Albion matchday commentary, long may he and Johnny continue to bring Albion games alive on the radio. :albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It amuses me that he is always introduced by JC as "former Albion striker". To the best of my knowledge, and certainly whenever I saw him, he played in midfield for us. (I think he was a striker with his earlier clubs, but by the time he came to us he was a bit portly.)

He was an irritating in your face ******** when he played against us :smile:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Warren has had some well documented downs in his life, tripping over the odd name from time to time is not a problem for me,I'm always glad to hear his astute views and comments.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

Same here, mate. I only recall him being out on the left midfield at Withdean, but my memory isn’t what it w.....sorry what was I saying?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here