Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best Ever Away Support at Palace

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I have always thought that Palace never brought as many down to the goldstone, as we took up to Selhurst

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I have no idea when it was but the train stopped at Norwood junction and we all got off to avoid the Police. Then we were running streets with them lot until we got into the ground which was manic.... could have been 1979?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Cant remember what game it was but the last game I went to Selhurst was when the separating doors got pushed through at half time by our lot,only for everyone to freeze , big stand off then one loan Palace came running through and dived into the crowd. He got a few slaps but fair play to him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm not sure you can beat the Kelvin Morton game. The crowd, obviously, was going berserk. Shame about the result but it was something else.
I didn’t think that one was too raucous. Beautiful sunshine and ironic shouts of “penalty” every time we touched the ball was my overriding memory. The McShane game was much more feisty I reckon.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I have always thought that Palace never brought as many down to the goldstone, as we took up to Selhurst
I think they claim to have brought c.10K to the GG in the mid-70s

Paddington Gal

May 7, 2013
Proof that the rivalry was on before 1976 cup matches along with the song

As I was walking down Shoreham Road
Singing singing Brighton are the champions
I saw Malcolm Allison sitting on a wall on a wall
I said to him what's up my friend
He said that Palace ran again
Singing singing Brighton are the champions
Singing singing Brighton are the kings

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Agree it will be an exaggeration but they have claimed it. I can't imagine that not one of those mid-70s games had at least 7K+ Palace...?

Which of the mid-70s matches do you think Palace had most at and how many? (For context, Chelsea brought 8K+ in 1983...)

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
The 5-0 game we had the whole of the AW, with the ends not in use. 5250 as I remember. Some of the games back in the 80's it was actually quite low in the away end because we just had the standing in the corner, which we would fill. It is why, when you see videos from games back then (lie the one on seagulls tv right now), that there were albion celebrating in many areas of the ground when we scored. Happened the other way around with games at the goldstone too.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Agree it will be an exaggeration but they have claimed it. I can't imagine that not one of those mid-70s games had at least 7K+ Palace...?

Which of the mid-70s matches do you think Palace had most at and how many? (For context, Chelsea brought 8K+ in 1983...)

I remember an all-ticket game at the Goldstone where they had the whole of the South Stand. Would that have been late 70s? And wouldn't that have been around 5000?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I didn’t think that one was too raucous. Beautiful sunshine and ironic shouts of “penalty” every time we touched the ball was my overriding memory. The McShane game was much more feisty I reckon.

The next time Morton reffed at the Goldstone, I tried yelling penalty every time the ball went into the box but rightfully got nothing but icy glares from the rest of the North Stand.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
not sure what year but remember watching Palace outplay us all game and then Ward getting winner in injury time. Had very good following that day

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
not sure what year but remember watching Palace outplay us all game and then Ward getting winner in injury time. Had very good following that day

Are you mixing that up with the game in August 1974 when Ian Mellor scored late on? I think I saw every Palace game that Ward played in and don't remember him scoring any late winners.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
we literally took it ...down the street in trolleys.....smoked cod vol au vents for everyone.....

Bejams is a stable memory of the 70s. Churchill Square and shopping with the parents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here