Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crystal Palace vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
I don’t often bother with shite MOTD where we get a token 5 minutes, but have just enjoyed watching it for a second time. Surprisingly loads of analysis on us. There was a great angle of the CP goalie in a panicky run once Tomkins missed the ball.

That'll be this one:

znvvZXU.gif

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
The great Gordon Banks said that the best way to beat a goalkeeper was to shoot early. Well Murray's absolutely CREAMED that one about twenty minutes before kick-off. Keeper's not even set. Can't work out which of the two goals is the better one - this is going to take some serious repeated viewing to decide...

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The result yesterday coupled with this weekend has probably made it the best one ever. I was seriously stressed at 1-1 for two reasons. Both things turned out brilliantly although I couldn't check my phone for about half an hour! Agony! :eek:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You'd hope that other teams will use our performance as the blueprint of how to beat Crystal Palace. Roy Hodgson is a stubborn fellow, he won't change his tactics. Sit deep, invite them on, exploit their weak/slow central defenders on the counter.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Has the Palace 'penalty' been discussed? Sure, Proper lunges, but where is the contact?!

Arguably his right leg brushes Propper's thigh, but he's already adjusted himself into total falling over mode by then anyway. It's the Palace way – look for a penalty above all else, that's what the game's about.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Reading the BBS match thread (I know) there reaction to going behind was "get in the area and dive" Oh and our second was a fluke. Apparently we're the luckiest team in the league.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION], my issue with it is once again the lack of consistency. Townsend goes over Propper's leg - penalty. Duffy is hauled down at a corner with the defender's arms all over him - play on lads.

Personally I think they're both pens.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Did you know Palarse have been awarded 9 penalties this season in 30 leagues games i.e. one in every 3 games or so. Can't beliveve the ref's keep falling for it - it will be interesting to see if VAR alters that next season!?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION], my issue with it is once again the lack of consistency. Townsend goes over Propper's leg - penalty. Duffy is hauled down at a corner with the defender's arms all over him - play on lads.

Personally I think they're both pens.

The pulling / hauling down ones are so much more difficult to spot though - I do have some sympathy with the refs who miss these, because you are generally watching about 18 bodies all jostling and trying to get an advantage. With a player running with the ball drawing a foul, or a handball you are looking at the play, with an incident like Duffy, you might only see that out of the corner of your eye because you're checking the flight of the ball, and trying to take in everything else in the box - it's probably why players as a whole are prepared to take the risk when grabbing in the box at corners and set pieces.

I referee U9s football regularly and even for their fun matches, those instant call on some fouls are really tough to make, I do need a lie down afterward. I gave a penalty against my son's team yesterday, he reckons I am the most strict ref they have! :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION]. Well VAR comes in next season (hope we're still in the Prem) and I will not be surprised if that sort of blatant wrestling in the box disappears overnight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here