Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Don't often agree with Piers Morgan, but...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We live in a time when we judge the person that gives the statement rather than the statement itself. Morgan actually says quite a few things that are spot on but people are reluctant to want to agree with him because of his reputation.

He's a very bright boy. But like Boris, he is utterly shameless and will say anything if it suits his purpose. He believes in nothing, and would shag your missus at the drop of a hat if he thought he could get away with it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Quite. This all about Morgan and his clarion call: 'look at me!'.

I should mention I agree that the comments are twattish though, in case some broflake calls me a snowflake for calling Morgan a prick.

Guilty secret but I don't mind Morgan that much. His book written as editor of the Mirror is a great read and refreshingly honest in the era of fluff autobiogrphy. In it, he admits to being gutted that the French concorde that crashed was full of pensioners and not Hollywood A listers alongside an admission of a whole host of skulduggery. He is a bell end but he is a rare one that knows it and plays up to it. I agree with [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION] that it is hard to argue with a lot of what he writes.

On this though, I'd argue that Mr Greer was best ignored. This week Churchill, next week Nelson at this rate.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Guilty secret but I don't mind Morgan that much. His book written as editor of the Mirror is a great read and refreshingly honest in the era of fluff autobiogrphy. In it, he admits to being gutted that the French concorde that crashed was full of pensioners and not Hollywood A listers alongside an admission of a whole host of skulduggery. He is a bell end but he is a rare one that knows it and plays up to it. I agree with [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION] that it is hard to argue with a lot of what he writes.

On this though, I'd argue that Mr Greer was best ignored. This week Churchill, next week Nelson at this rate.

Piers Morgan who hacked into a dead girl's phone causing her parents a lot more grief.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
This trend of judging historical characters by the standards of today is absolutely ridiculous. Just like it will be in 50 years time when people look back at us.

I'm not defending this bloke's point or the way he made it, but I don't buy that discussing Churchill with regard to his policies towards Ireland, India, comments made about race, trade unions or the establishment of the NHS are putting today's standards onto him. There are plenty at the time who would have taken great issue with all of the above.

Just to be clear - he was also a very great figure who played an immense role in defeating the greatest evil ever to exist.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

It’s far easier to turn a blind eye to comments about Nelson...

I’ll get my coat!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm not defending this bloke's point or the way he made it, but I don't buy that discussing Churchill with regard to his policies towards Ireland, India, comments made about race, trade unions or the establishment of the NHS are putting today's standards onto him. There are plenty at the time who would have taken great issue with all of the above.

Just to be clear - he was also a very great figure who played an immense role in defeating the greatest evil ever to exist.

That’s the whole point really, in a reasoned debate Greer may have been able to make some sense and reasoned points. Unfortunately his tweet, punctuated with the clapping emojis was infantile and lost him any credibility he may have had.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
The problem with all this is that we are now talking about Ross Greer - who I'd never heard of until yesterday - precisely because he has said something ridiculous. This gets retweeted endless times and likes of Morgan write about it giving it more and more airtime.

Say something measured and no one gives a shit. It's the Katie Hopkins effect where the more inflammatory or stupid statement you write the more likely you are to get your 15 seconds of fame. As everyone knows this, we have more and more bell end statements to contend with. God knows where this ends.

It's 15 minutes like Gandhi.

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London

The thing is, the ideal person to lead a country through a world war is not a lovely compassionate, understanding liberal man. You need a ******* when the shit hits the fan. He was the right man at the right time. If we’d have had a nice person in charge I highly doubt we’d have won.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The thing is, the ideal person to lead a country through a world war is not a lovely compassionate, understanding liberal man. You need a ******* when the shit hits the fan. He was the right man at the right time. If we’d have had a nice person in charge I highly doubt we’d have won.

I'm not sure I 100% agree with that personally, but I get your point.

However the criticisms of his character and some of his policies tend to be at other times and places to his time leading Britain in WW2. And I don't think discussion of him as a historical figure should ever be off the table - which is the undercurrent of a lot of discussion about this (not necessarily on here).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here