Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The new Gillette ad

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It's good ad. Thought provoking and fits in with their slogan too. Toxic masculinity (or being dick) is hardly on the decline these and it should be challenged. I am certainly not taking offence at this ad, in fact I think it is really rather good.

They should have called it 'Don't be a dickhead'. That could have worked pretty well :D

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Weird that some men want to defend that poor behaviour. Guess that shows the ad is needed even if a cynical marketing ploy.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Exactly how I feel. It's a shame to see it's got so many dislikes. I don't understand how you can feel patronised (or any other negative feeling) by it.

Because most of us men do not need to be told what is acceptable behaviour, we should be able to work that out by ourselves (aware that some cannot seem to work this out of course).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The only solution is to kill all men and use frozen sperm (with females only selected of course) to keep the human race going.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The only solution is to kill all men and use frozen sperm (with females only selected of course) to keep the human race going.

Well you can follow the #Killallmen on twitter if you like. Yes, that is a thing.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Not offended but it's a stupid advert, people defending the advert are just as bad as Gillette are for generalising shit like this. I can give you a few reasons why I don't like it and it's nothing to do with being offended.

I am proper bored of the social justice theme that this advertisement borrows a lot from. I am even more bored of these look how #woke we are kids, you should all buy our stuff bullshit, like those companies that try to be relevant on Twitter by insulting people or using random out of touch emojis. The people that own Gillette make regular donations to Donald Trumps Republicans so clearly they can't care that much can they? I mean how is that not hypocritical as hell? Most of all I'm just bone tired of everything being political, just have a day off and sell your razors on the basis of how good the razor is not on some insincere political message that isn't even well executed.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Talk about slanting statistics! Presumably the point being made is that men do kill two female partners or ex partners every week. That. I agree, is unacceptable, it is wrong, it is two too many; absolutely no question about that.

Alternatively, the same statistic also indicates that >99.99% of men wouldn't even dream of killing their partners. Perhaps that just doesn't suit today's agenda.

And, as an afterthought, the small minority who do[/B} urgently need to change their behaviour won't be touched by this advert at all.

It is not slanting statistics. They are facts.
Undeniable facts.

I hope you've never witnessed domestic abuse nor been in an abusive relationship.

As [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION] says, the vast majority of men don't behave like that, but the ad is saying that some do. Teach the youngsters that bullying and beating people up is not 'boys will be boys'.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It is not slanting statistics. They are facts.
Undeniable facts.

I hope you've never witnessed domestic abuse nor been in an abusive relationship.

As [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION] says, the vast majority of men don't behave like that, but the ad is saying that some do. Teach the youngsters that bullying and beating people up is not 'boys will be boys'.

This ad is targeted at adult men, as appropriate to the product. If you want to teach youngsters, it should be done at home or in a safe environment like school where you can trust teachers to give them decent moral values.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Definitely.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Gillette closes the advert with "it's only by challenging ourselves to do more that we can get closer to our best".

Fair enough.

So let's start by giving divorced fathers justice and an equal share in custody of their children and proper visitation rights.

Being able to spend time with his children.
Being involved in his children’s lives.
Having equal participation in parenting including where children live and go to school.
Having equal access to medical and school records.
Having equal say in medical decisions.
Having the ability to parent or discipline his children.

In the parenting book Raising Boys, Steve Bidulph writes about the 3 distinct stages of development for boys.
0-6 - the "learning to love" years where Mum is the star, but Dad's important too
6-14 - the time "when fathers count the most"
14+ - other adults/role models are important

In short, boys (and girls) need their Dads to be around. Children need Dad's presence more than his presents.

Yes, men have to individually fulfill their role by not abdicating responsibility as a father, husband or partner.

Nobody's defending bullying, abuse or harassment here. That's wrong regardless, and it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

But if so-called 'toxic masculinity' is to be addressed from the ground up, then society has to get its own house in order as well.

How? By ensuring the status of fatherhood is promoted and viewed as of equal importance and significance as motherhood.

No amount of desirable social engineering through multinational company advertising would have that positive effect.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Gillette closes the advert with "it's only by challenging ourselves to do more that we can get closer to our best".

Fair enough.

So let's start by giving divorced fathers justice and an equal share in custody of their children and proper visitation rights.

Being able to spend time with his children.
Being involved in his children’s lives.
Having equal participation in parenting including where children live and go to school.
Having equal access to medical and school records.
Having equal say in medical decisions.
Having the ability to parent or discipline his children.

In the parenting book Raising Boys, Steve Bidulph writes about the 3 distinct stages of development for boys.
0-6 - the "learning to love" years where Mum is the star, but Dad's important too
6-14 - the time "when fathers count the most"
14+ - other adults/role models are important

In short, boys (and girls) need their Dads to be around. Children need Dad's presence more than his presents.

Yes, men have to individually fulfill their role by not abdicating responsibility as a father, husband or partner.

Nobody's defending bullying, abuse or harassment here. That's wrong regardless, and it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

But if so-called 'toxic masculinity' is to be addressed from the ground up, then society has to get its own house in order as well.

How? By ensuring the status of fatherhood is promoted and viewed as of equal importance and significance as motherhood.

No amount of desirable social engineering through multinational company advertising would have that positive effect.

We also need more males in nurseries and primary schools without society deeming a man who likes to work with young children as a bit of a nonce. We need more males to go into social work, counselling, nursing and the caring professions too.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Causing a bit of a stir this morning. Personally I like it, and I think it will appeal to many women who buy shaving stuff for men. In terms of message, every little helps, as another advertiser might say.

[yt]UYaY2Kb_PKI[/yt]

Whatever they say will not detract from the fact that Gillette and Wilkinson, between them, have been ripping men off for years.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
We also need more males in nurseries and primary schools without society deeming a man who likes to work with young children as a bit of a nonce. We need more males to go into social work, counselling, nursing and the caring professions too.

Yes indeed.

I know that you're in teaching, Wilko. I am too - trained in the Primary sector. When I trained in the mid-90s, only 11% of trainees were male.

In the boarding house in one of the schools in which I worked, there was an increasing desire for 'house parents' rather than single men.

I wasn't going to marry purely to get promoted!

Nor did I particularly like the underlying assumption that children were somehow safer from abuse with married men or single women than me.

I had a lot more time I could give to looking after the kids than a married guy could with his own family responsibilities to (rightly) attend to.

It's quite right that there are child protection safeguards in place in schools - that makes sense educationally as well as morally.

However, the situation I encountered, still prevalent across the UK independent sector, is what happens when paranoia meets education.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here