Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who recalls school football like this - Kes...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Come on there must be some people out there that recall a cold winters day PE lesson playing football with an over zealous teacher who thought he was Bobby Charlton or Kevin Keegan....

[yt]_9nDHupVqVw[/yt]

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep. I remember one freezing afternoon, playing in goal for some reason (it wasn't my usual position). The woodwork teacher - reputedly once on Sunderland's books, though I've no idea if that's true or not - tore in from the left and unleashed a Willie Irvine against Villa type belter, swerving viciously. I shut my eyes, jumped up in the air, arms above my head, the ball stung my cold hands like hell and disappeared over the cross-bar. The football lesson to be learned from this incident, as the teacher explained very clearly - and at some length - was that the keeper had no right to save a shot like that; he was clearly very miffed!

He never picked me for the school team again.............

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Great stuff haven't watched that years.

There was certainly a need to wear shin pads if the PE teacher joined in

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Pretty much sums up my school football years!

I was at PCC (87-92) and we were awful – in fact I think we lost every single game over the 5 years!
Despite not being very good (I was small and fragile) I managed to play in every match except one, which speaks volumes for the ability pool we had to call on. The only highlight for me was the one and only goal I scored, which I smashed in from one yard out!
We had a few lads who were actually very good and one or two possibly played for Brighton Boys? .. some on NSC will probably know Matt Ash, Junior Lamont, Colin O’Hare, John Enticknapp, Tim Sharp to name but a few.

Anyone who played us had to put up with either a bog (Chalky Road site pitch / Southwick Hill), solid barren ground (Mile Oak park), a perished Redgra, or the over-sanded Astroturf (both at Portslade Sports Centre) that replaced it – we never played on a decent pitch.

Our PE teacher was a Spurs fan who was once on Arsenal’s books apparently… I though he was okay, but not many liked him.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I remember in my last year at Thornberry Middle school in Lancing, so aged around 11, and it was traditional for the boys team to play the teachers with the whole school watching. Two things stood out for me from that game, a female teacher who was their striker (me the goalkeeper) came barging through me even though I got the ball and ended up bruising my ribs, bitch didn't even say sorry! Second was the Football coach (he had a beard, really liked him, think his name was Mr Strong or Woods) anyway he scored from just outside HIS penalty box over my head! Obviously back then the pitches were a little bit smaller - the year was I think around 1982.

nelson73

Jan 9, 2014
lancing
Pretty much sums up my school football years!

I was at PCC (87-92) and we were awful – in fact I think we lost every single game over the 5 years!
Despite not being very good (I was small and fragile) I managed to play in every match except one, which speaks volumes for the ability pool we had to call on. The only highlight for me was the one and only goal I scored, which I smashed in from one yard out!
We had a few lads who were actually very good and one or two possibly played for Brighton Boys? .. some on NSC will probably know Matt Ash, Junior Lamont, Colin O’Hare, John Enticknapp, Tim Sharp to name but a few.

Anyone who played us had to put up with either a bog (Chalky Road site pitch / Southwick Hill), solid barren ground (Mile Oak park), a perished Redgra, or the over-sanded Astroturf (both at Portslade Sports Centre) that replaced it – we never played on a decent pitch.

Our PE teacher was a Spurs fan who was once on Arsenal’s books apparently… I though he was okay, but not many liked him.

i was a year above you i think.our team had jonny cater,mark brumfitt amongst others was a good side.jonny e played for my sunday team

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
i was a year above you i think.our team had jonny cater,mark brumfitt amongst others was a good side.jonny e played for my sunday team

Sorry that our year let you down! Do I know you then?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Whatever happened to the old moldmaster footballs they used at schools? Get one of those blasted against your thigh on a winter morning and you'd be bruised for weeks

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Glad I was either the picker or tended to be one of the first picked. Some kids just didn't give a feck about football.

We had ex Albion starlet Andy Marchant running our lot.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Remember playing footy in the playground, honing my skills with a tennis ball.
Upgraded that with footy on full size pitches playing with a ball that resembled a bag of cement.
Football kit was a mismatch of whatever I could find to wear.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Glad I was either the picker or tended to be one of the first picked. Some kids just didn't give a feck about football.I was.

I was always the picker and tended to pick a coupla kids who were shit or last picked to give them a bit of confidence. Couldnt have been much fun every week they tended to raise their game a bit instead of last man standing

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Moulsescomb school 1969-1973 never got picked to play in the first pick team.
Joined the Co - Op football team in 1976 and spent 22 years playing Sunday League with several pub teams.
Missed a few games in all that time due to various life stuff

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We played our matches at East Brighton Park. One that sticks in the mind was a match in a hail and rain storm, I was so cold I lost the power of speech. I was shivering so much that my voice just wouldn't work :lolol:

I think [MENTION=805]Kalimantan Gull[/MENTION] was in goal for us...wearing my nice thick jumper!

Happy days.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rugby was the game where I was, shame the day I graduated to the U16s first team and my parents travelled to watch I sent off after 12 minutes for taking out the opposition scrum half.

In my defence that was the instruction my team coach gave me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here