Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Central America

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Really sorry to read the bad reports about Costa Rica on this thread. I went there about 10 years ago and it was stunning. Not particularly americanised then either.

It still is stunning, the cost of living has just become quiet expensive from what it used to be and the countries that surround it. Apart from my rent pretty much all all other prices are comparable to London.

Whereabouts did you visit?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We did the Rivieira Maya region of Mexico on Honeymoon last summer

It's obviously a bit more touristy but we LOVED every second of it. Visited Chichen Itza(visit as early in the morning as possible when it is cooler and quiet. Beautiful), Xel-Ha, Delphinus (wonderful swimming with Dolphins experience. No big groups, an hour in the water).

We also visited Cirque de Solei (spelling?) the Coco Bongo nightclub which is an experience :lolol:

Again, I appreciate we were in a holidaymakers region, but we felt so safe with taxis etc and it also didn't feel Americanised which was great. We made a specific effort (apart from Coco Bongo) to really try and avoid anything non-Mexican.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7908565 said:
It still is stunning, the cost of living has just become quiet expensive from what it used to be and the countries that surround it. Apart from my rent pretty much all all other prices are comparable to London.

Whereabouts did you visit?

I did 3 weeks with family in North West (Nicoya) last year, and thought it was totally amazing.

We went:
Arenal -> Monteverde->Santa Theresa -> Samara-> Playa Junquillal -> Tamarindo.

Looking back, we could have missed out Monteverde TBH, but just HAD to do Selvatura Zip line park.. :mad:

It wasn't until we got to Lola's nr Tamarindo that the Americans we're noticable.

But [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION] it's fair to say that it's known as Costa Fortune for good reason (even the Yanks thought it a bit punchy)

I'd like to do a less expensive similar holiday in nearby countries if there are any recommendations ?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I'm going to spend some time in Playa Junquillal next month. Any recommendations?

Indeed - We stayed at Mundo Milo Eco lodge - A small place, owned by a dutch couple Leicke and Michael. They have a couple of 'bungalows' with choice of Persian/Mexican/African style. We were only there for two nights, but it's highly rated on TA and rightly so.

We were in a 4x4 and keen to get out and about, so didnt explore locally too much, but it seemed a pretty quiet area (that we saw anyway)
The beach was deserted, but (like a lot of CR) you have to watch the currents there.

http://www.mundomilo.com/

:thumbsup:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Well I have booked my flights and first part of my trip. Starting in south Mexico into Belize and Guatemala. I am going to do some more research on El Sal, Hond, Nic etc before I decide which bits to go into :)

Jim in the West

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Just spent 6 months doing the same route...my thoughts...

Mexico City - amazing place, not to be missed, stay in Roma Norte or la condessa, go to the anthropological museum...best museum I've ever been to. I can't remember the name but there's a place in the south of the city where all the Mexicans go to get pissed whilst punting around canals. Top stuff!

Around Mexico City taxco is a beautiful colonial style silver town a couple of hours south. Mineral del monte (a couple of hours north) is a crazy mining town that has loads of Cornish history and great pasties! It's all red tin roof cottages!

Further south Oaxaca is great and monte alban were my favourite ruins in Mexico.

Down in the Yacutan, if you like diving go to Cozumel, it's very Americanised but the diving is incredible.

Belize is good fun, loads of rastas and a bit edgy.

Guatemala is just amazing but avoid the capital city, Tikal is the best ruin we went to in the whole of Central America, lake Atitlan is amazingly beautiful, never to hot, never too cold and you get round by water taxi. Antigua is also pretty nice and very cosmopolitan.

Nicaragua is different again, if you fancy surfing then the beaches around San Juan del sur are great for learners or experienced surfers.

Costa Rica i could write a whole post on, surfing and exploring on the Nicoya peninsula (get a 4x4!), cloud forests in monte verde, Caribbean coast around Puerto viejo, more wildlife than you can possibly imagine, howlers, sloths, toucans, all right on the porch!

Bocas del toro in panama had the best snorkelling we saw anywhere.

That's about a 10th of it, happy to answer specific questions

Just to endorse a very small part of the above - we (myself, plus Liz in the West) spent 17 days in Mexico City last November - we had a fantastic time. the people are incredibly friendly, and the city is great. We stayed in Condesa, which reminded me of a slightly down at heel LA, but in a nice way! Loads of great places to eat, good cafes/street culture, and very lively. Great art galleries (as mentioned, the Anthropology museum is a must if you like your history.....you need at least 3 days to do it justice, though!). The place in the south of the city where everyone gets pissed on the canals is Xocomilco (or something like that). We also liked Coyoacan, Roma, and the central bits - but obviously there ARE some dodgy areas (esp out of the centre), so you need to take care. We took an internal flight to Oaxaca and stayed there for a few days - very beautiful (albeit quite touristy).

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Indeed - We stayed at Mundo Milo Eco lodge - A small place, owned by a dutch couple Leicke and Michael. They have a couple of 'bungalows' with choice of Persian/Mexican/African style. We were only there for two nights, but it's highly rated on TA and rightly so.

We were in a 4x4 and keen to get out and about, so didnt explore locally too much, but it seemed a pretty quiet area (that we saw anyway)
The beach was deserted, but (like a lot of CR) you have to watch the currents there.

Thanks for the info. I've already got my accommodation booked though. I'm staying in one of many places that seem to be called Casa Mango. It's a small house with its own pool for when the tides get tricky. I think I would have liked your place, though.

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
A bit late, but I've been to CA 4 times, love the area and here is my take on it:

- Costa Rica - stunning country. As said elsewhere it's not what it was before tourism exploded and prices rose but still lovely . Mal Pais area is great for beaches and less developed than Guanacaste to the north (which is at 5 times more developed since my first trip there in 2001). I'd consider that Osa Peninsula in the south if you want a more adventurous trip. Only went there briefly on last trip.

- Nicaragua - also amazing. I only really know the coast but far more adventurous than CR and I'd spend time here for sure . As a rule the surfing here is more intermediate to advanced whereas CR had more for all levels. Beaches are superb

- Panama - quick mention as although not on your list it's easy to get to from Osa Peninsula. Another gem and my personal favourite. Bocas De Toro outer islands great , but Pacific side easily my favourite. Some amazing islands in the Golfo de Chiriqui national park are some of my favourite places in the world . Cobia island has the best diving for beginner / intermediate of anywhere in the region (or possibly the world) . You can see more there at under 18m than anywhere in the world (so I've been told) and you see why straight away . Sharks, whales, huge schools of big fish. Imagine a blue planet documentary... snorkelling too superb.

What you want to do is key - I was surfing, diving, fishing to be fair ... but you can't go wrong. Any Qs do ask

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

Purely by coincidence, where I am staying is right across the road from Mundo Milo. Very nice too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here